Media Roundup of the Best Games of 2021

Commissar SFLUFAN

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

GOTG set a new bar for me for writing in a videogame. It's that good. Last of US 2 was as good in a different way. Thr characters talk a LOT in GOTG and you really don't want them to shut up. There were times I wished I could rewind to hear certain jokes. They really made those characters their own and their interpretation of Marvel Lore was clever in how they managed to make the team and this version of their world different from the comics and movies. 

That all sounds terrific. How are the visuals? Will it be 4K/60fps on my xsx? I'm currently playing Halo and I constantly look at the amazing textures. Is it a prettier game than Halo? 

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

On the topic of ‘hipster shit,’ where do you all think LiS True Colors belongs in the GoTY discussion?  Curious for those that played it.

it’s the best life is strange game 

it’s wholly dependent on if you like those type of games though 

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

On the topic of ‘hipster shit,’ where do you all think LiS True Colors belongs in the GoTY discussion?

Life is Strange isn’t hipster shit. I love the first game, and Before the Storm. I bought True Colors during Black Friday, but haven’t played it yet.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Real gamerz play Far Cry!

Real gamers play everything!

Ive been sick of all things Marvel for a while now. Just so tired of the superhero genre. To me, its the new zombies. 

but all this talk about Guardians of The Galaxy being so amazing has me intrigued. I guess Ill have to check it out (doesnt hurt that of all the marvel movies, GOTG 1 is by far my favorite and one of the only ones I can repeatedly watch). 

I think arguably the most impressive thing about Guardians, that even I took for granted while i playing, is that they NEVER stop talking. That seems like an exaggeration but they literally talk at each other the entire game. And none of it repeats, none of it feels forced, none of it comes off as lower quality or a lesser performance than is given in full cut scenes, and the most amazing part out of all of that is that you don’t want them to stop talking. It’s never annoying. 

Just sit back and think about what an achievement in writing and voice performance that is. It’s not a 6 hour game, it takes around 20

to finish and that’s all story and dialogue, no side missions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I think arguably the most impressive thing about Guardians, that even I took for granted while i playing, is that they NEVER stop talking. That seems like an exaggeration but they literally talk at each other the entire game. And none of it repeats, none of it feels forced, none of it comes off as lower quality or a lesser performance than is given in full cut scenes, and the most amazing part out of all of that is that you don’t want them to stop talking. It’s never annoying. 

Just sit back and think about what an achievement in writing and voice performance that is. It’s not a 6 hour game, it takes around 20

Yup... it's an amazing accomplishement.

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm so hyped for this I need to keep my expectations low going in. I never seen the movies so is that a good thing going into playing this game?

I don’t think it matters either way. The only thing they really share in common is a general style. Personally I think I like everything in the game more than the movie

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

20 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

And you won't hear all of it in one playthrough. Since there are branching paths, you're bound to miss some dialog. It's wild. The only repetitive dialog in this game is from the huddles.

CNET's 2021 Game of the Year awards

Honorable Mentions:

Halo Infinite

Inscryption

Death's Door

The Top 10:

10. Unpacking

09. Returnal

08. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

07. It Takes Two

06. Resident Evil Village

05. Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

04. Deathloop

03. Metroid Dread

Runner-Up:

Spoiler

The Forgotten City

CNET's Game of the Year 2021:

Spoiler

Psychonauts 2

PC Gamer's Game of the Year Awards 2021

Best Ongoing Game: Apex Legends
Best Co-op: Back 4 Blood
Best Multiplayer: Chivalry 2
Best Horror: Resident Evil Village
Best Strategy: Revealed December 22
Best Characters: Revealed December 23
Best RPG: Revealed December 24
Best Shooter: Revealed December 25
Best Design: Revealed December 26
Best Narrative: Revealed December 27
Best Open World: Revealed December 28
Best Action: Revealed December 29
Best Stealth: Revealed December 30
Game of the Year: Revealed December 31

The Sixth Axis - Game of the Year 2021

Game of the Year 2021 – Best Remake/Remaster

Winner: NiER Replicant

Runner Up: Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Runner Up: Resident Evil 4 VR

Honorable Mentions:  Alan Wake Remastered, Mario Party Superstars, Mario Party Superstars

Game of the Year 2021 – Best Ongoing Game

Winner: Ghost of Tsushima

Runner Up: Genshin Impact

Runner Up: Dreams

Honorable Mentions: Apex Legends, Destiny 2, No Man's Sky

Game of the Year 2021 – Best Multiplayer Game

Winner: Halo Infinite

Runner Up: It Takes Two

Runner Up: Knockout City

Honorable Mentions: Chivalry 2, Gunfire Reborn, Monster Hunter Rise

Game of the Year 2021 – Best Visual Design

Winner: The Artful Escape

Runner Up: Psychonauts 2

Runner Up: Solar Ash

Honorable Mentions: Maquette, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Resident Evil Village

Game of the Year 2021 – Best Original Soundtrack

Winner: The Artful Escape

Runner Up: Persona 5 Strikers

Runner Up: JETT: The Far Shore

Honorable Mentions: Deathloop, NieR Replicant ver. 1.22474487138…, Sable

Game of the Year 2021 – Best Independent Game

Winner: Death's Door

Runner Up: Fights in Tight Spaces

Runner Up: The Forgotten City

Honorable Mentions: Eastward, Loop Hero, Solar Ash

Game of the Year 2021 – Best Gameplay

Winner: It Takes Two