Labor shortages are getting annoying

Fizzzzle

Today I wanted to eat some lunch. I didn't really have any food around other than some little snacks, and I'm a little strapped for money at the moment, so I didn't want to get anything delivered or get restaurant food. So, I decided to venture out and forage for food like our ancestors.

Taco Bell? Closed.

Chipotle? Closed.

McDonald's? Drive-thru only.

And then I thought "fiiiiiiine, I'll suck it up and get *gag* Subway."

Nope. Closed.

Mind you, this is at lunch time on a Saturday.

Dude, we're coming up on almost 2 years of constant labor shortages. You know what would fix the problem? FUCKING PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES MORE, DIPSHITS. Then maybe I could get a fucking crunchwrap supreme for lunch on a Saturday, as God intended. Praise be.

(Employers don't want to raise wages even though they know it would solve the problem, because once you raise wages, you can't really put that genie back in the bottle. They all have a mindset of waiting out the storm and haven't realized that the storm isn't going away)

10 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I think a big part of it is that the minimum wage here is $14/hour, so it gets to a point where it's like there are easier and less soul sucking things I can do if you're only going to give me a measley $2/hour over the minimum, if even that.

Better pick up a loaf of bread and some lunchmeat then 

Now Hiring signs are pretty ubiquitous by me, and I've seen a few places with signs in the window saying their hours are scaled back slightly where they're citing the labor shortage as the reason. I've only had it happen once that a place was closed unexpectedly when I was actually trying to order there and that was a couple months ago.

Even the Jack in the Box by me closes at midnight now. Being open 24 hours and being able to order anything from their menu at any time was kind of the point. In my opinion, Jack in the Box should only be eaten between the hours of 10pm-4am and strictly while heavily intoxicated or stoned.

Everything around me is open, it's just the service is slow as fuck. Went to the shoe store at the mall a few weeks ago for my son and we stood in a line of over 20 people. Fast food drive thrus are busy no matter what time of day now. I shouldn't have to wait in a Taco Bell drive thru 10 cars deep at 3pm during the week. I usually pull in, see a ridiculous line and just go home. 

• True 1

3 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Everything around me is open, it's just the service is slow as fuck. Went to the shoe store at the mall a few weeks ago for my son and we stood in a line of over 20 people. Fast food drive thrus are busy no matter what time of day now. I shouldn't have to wait in a Taco Bell drive thru 10 cars deep at 3pm during the week. I usually pull in, see a ridiculous line and just go home. 

The restaurant I used to work at faced a dilemma at one point of not enough people to be properly staffed all the time, so it was basically like be open and have shitty service most of the day, or just close two days a week. Thankfully they chose the latter, at least for a while.

Everything's open around here. But then again I saw Wendy's and McDonald's offering $16/hr starting wages a year before the pandemic even began so while it's not great wages (especially since this is the Bay Area) it's far, far above the minimum wage. I imagine they're paid even more now.

I've also been driving for Uber Eats for the last few months and have definitely noticed it getting significantly worse lately, in terms of staffing difficulties. A lot of fast food restaurants in the area are going drive-thru only, which really blows when you're trying to quickly pick up food that should already be ready. 

27 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

I miss going into grocery stores at 2am to do my shopping where the only time children would be around is due to awful parenting & otherwise, there are little to no other people about in my way as I'm going about my business!

You can go shopping at 7am and have the same feeling.

9 hours ago, SoberChef said:

I miss going into grocery stores at 2am to do my shopping where the only time children would be around is due to awful parenting & otherwise, there are little to no other people about in my way as I'm going about my business!

Truth. I have been buying groceries at the gas station far too often because the grocery stores around me all close at 8-10 now (for a while last year they were all closing at like 7pm). So that means if I go to an actual grocery store, I have to go before work. And I hate running errands before work. I don't have a car, so I can't exactly bulk buy everything I need for a whole week on my days off.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Truth. I have been buying groceries at the gas station far too often because the grocery stores around me all close at 8-10 now (for a while last year they were all closing at like 7pm). So that means if I go to an actual grocery store, I have to go before work. And I hate running errands before work. I don’t have a car, so I can't exactly bulk buy everything I need for a whole week on my days off.

46 minutes ago, Rachel said:

what’s the reason you walk instead of drive?

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

what’s the reason you walk instead of drive?

1) I kind of get panic attacks when driving in certain areas. The fact that I'm steering a giant metal murder box doesn't really leave my head. This stems from an almost accident from when I was a teenager when I almost pancaked a little kid who ran into the street and I drove the car into a ditch.

2) I just don't want to pay for one.

3) I don't really need one. My work is a 10 minute walk from my house. My last job was 15.  There are very few things that I need that are more than a 15 minute walk away. 3 grocery stores are within 5 blocks of me. I have a bank branch about 8 minutes away on foot. There's a post office about 15 minutes away. So in that way, having to pay for insurance, parking and gas is just kind of an extravagance.

7 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Do you ever feel too lazy to walk 15 mins to the post office and Uber instead?

No. I'd say about ~30-40 minutes is about the farthest something is away on foot before I'll uber. Like my barber is about 45 minutes away on foot. I still only take an uber one way, though. Not to mention if something is only a 15 minute walk away and it takes an uber driver 7 minutes to get to my house, I'm paying money to save, what, 4-5 minutes?

33 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

No. I'd say about ~30-40 minutes is about the farthest something is away on foot before I'll uber. Like my barber is about 45 minutes away on foot. I still only take an uber one way, though. Not to mention if something is only a 15 minute walk away and it takes an uber driver 7 minutes to get to my house, I'm paying money to save, what, 4-5 minutes?

Another reason to move to England. If the option is there, we walk it.

56 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Another reason to move to England. If the option is there, we walk it.

Thankfully I don't live in a suburban hellscape like a lot of Americans and Canadians where you have to drive past 5 miles of single family homes to find the nearest food source. I can't think of anything I need on a day-to-day basis that I can't get within a 15 minute walk (except for the barber, but that's by choice. You find a good barber and you stick to that barber). I'd say half of my coworkers don't own a car. At my last job it was more like 75%. 3 of my roommates don't have cars. In my life in general, I probably know more people that don't drive than people who do.