John Woo is BACK

• 1 year later...

I can't believe it's been 20 years since John Woo's last American film (Paycheck with Ben Affleck) and it's been 15 years since Red Cliff: Parts 1+2 (everyone go watch that if you haven't seen it yet, make sure it's the "International" version, the 5-hour one). A dialogue-less action film from John Woo? Yes please.

23 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I can't believe it's been 20 years since John Woo's last American film and it's been 15 years since Red Cliff: Parts 1+2 (everyone go watch that if you haven't seen it yet, make sure it's the "International" version, the 5-hour one). A dialogue-less action film from John Woo? Yes please.

I imported that shit before it even had a theatrical release in North America. 

Cool movie. . . I mean trailer. Seems like I saw pretty much the entire movie, but it looked good. 

• Hype 1

15 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I imported that shit before it even had a theatrical release in North America. 

Cool movie. . . I mean trailer. Seems like I saw pretty much the entire movie, but it looked good. 

I wanted to see the full 5-hour Woo cut but when Red Cliff released theatrically in the United States way back when, the American distributor cut it down to 2.5 hours. It was a nonsensical movie that looked great in the theater but clearly you needed the full, proper cut. I then bought the bluray of the "international version" which came out in the US afterward, which is really just the proper release of Red Cliff as one movie in two parts and it is excellent. It is a high water mark for wuxia Chinese storytelling and is just a badass movie all around. Highly recommended.

• Hugs 1

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I wanted to see the full 5-hour Woo cut but when Red Cliff released theatrically in the United States way back when, the American distributor cut it down to 2.5 hours. It was a nonsensical movie that looked great in the theater but clearly you needed the full, proper cut. I then bought the bluray of the "international version" which came out in the US afterward, which is really just the proper release of Red Cliff as one movie in two parts and it is excellent. It is a high water mark for wuxia Chinese storytelling and is just a badass movie all around. Highly recommended.

I just remember importing it from yesasia and having my buddy come over to watch it in 2 parts. I think we did the first half and didn’t finish the 2nd half until like 5 days later. The sets/ships and the amount of extras in that movie were eye popping. 

• Hugs 1

49 minutes ago, Brick said:

It being dialogue-less might be a bit weird, but I can't say I'm not intrigued by the concept. 

What’s weirder is that a movie came out on Hulu like 10 days ago with the same gimmick (although a very different type of movie). No One Will Save You - it’s good! 

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

What’s weirder is that a movie came out on Hulu like 10 days ago with the same gimmick (although a very different type of movie). No One Will Save You - it’s good! 

That's that horror movie right? Is it good? I thought I heard good things. 

1 minute ago, Brick said:

That's that horror movie right? Is it good?

it’s good! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...