AUKUS Row: French ambassador to return to US following Macron/Biden tête-à-tête

The more I think about how rickety of a deal this is, the more I believe that it's a push by US intelligence to pressure the Australian government to buff their defense capabilities and allow for US basing as a hedge against China. 

I don't mean to be all "The CIA is behind it" but the US intel/defense sector being a primary force behind this turnabout kinda makes sense. It directly serves US interests in strengthening western (non-French, who really haven't cared about Chinese moves in the Pacific) power in the Pacific, and it benefits US defense contracts. 

Plus... it wouldn't be the most blatant meddling in Australian politics we've ever done!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: France recalls its US/Australia ambassadors in protest of AUKUS security pact
24 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

The Norman invasion

I'll never understand why the English view the 100 years war as an English vs. French thing when it was, for the most part a French vs. French conflict. Henry V was the first English king in 350 years to actually speak English in court, his father was the first one who even COULD speak English (there is one account of Richard Lionheart addressing some of his men in English while on crusade), and the war was already started by *his* grandfather.

I would say it wasn't until the Tudor dynasty that England *really* was actually ruled by the English, tough that's a subjective statement.

Honestly, you could say that until the late 16th century, England routinely got their asses kicked by everyone who wasn't Celtic. Vikings? Resulted in the Danelaw. Then they had like two seconds of self rule before getting conquered by the Normans, which you could view as either being conquered by the French or just more Vikings, depending on how you look at it (Rollo was either William's grandfather or great grandfather, I don't remember). 

I'm starting to ramble, which is what happens when I talk about history. Point being, the French basically dominated the English for like half a millennium, and before that they were dominated by Nords for half a millennium.

But then, the funny thing is... Everyone who conquers England eventually just kind of.. becomes English? Maybe there's something to be said there about cultural durability. The Chinese have the same thing. Everyone who conquers china just like becomes Chinese.

... I'm done now.

18 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'll never understand why the English view the 100 years war as an English vs. French thing when it was, for the most part a French vs. French conflict. Henry V was the first English king in 350 years to actually speak English in court, his father was the first one who even COULD speak English (there is one account of Richard Lionheart addressing some of his men in English while on crusade), and the war was already started by *his* grandfather.

I would say it wasn't until the Tudor dynasty that England *really* was actually ruled by the English, tough that's a subjective statement.

Honestly, you could say that until the late 16th century, England routinely got their asses kicked by everyone who wasn't Celtic. Vikings? Resulted in the Danelaw. Then they had like two seconds of self rule before getting conquered by the Normans, which you could view as either being conquered by the French or just more Vikings, depending on how you look at it (Rollo was either William's grandfather or great grandfather, I don't remember). 

I'm starting to ramble, which is what happens when I talk about history. Point being, the French basically dominated the English for like half a millennium, and before that they were dominated by Nords for half a millennium.

But then, the funny thing is... Everyone who conquers England eventually just kind of.. becomes English? Maybe there's something to be said there about cultural durability. The Chinese have the same thing. Everyone who conquers china just like becomes Chinese.

... I'm done now.

Tired Back To School GIF by Originals

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

... I'm done now.

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

... I'm done now.

Fuck the haters this is good

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 9:14 AM, CayceG said:

If you haven't heard of Karen Silkwood, she was a technician that worked at a fuel production plant in Oklahoma that uncovered a bunch of safety regulations the company was violating. She started blowing the whistle. And mYsTeRiOusLy she wound up being contaminated with uranium in a few instances, including her house. And as she was traveling to hand over documents to a reporter to further add proof to the accusations, she was run off the road and killed. The documents she had were never recovered. 

Basically, the company she worked for had her bumped off because she was trying to make work safer, which would mean fewer profits. 

Shit like that is why all this is intertwined. 

I did not know this story. Pretty seriously fucked up.

14 minutes ago, legend said:

I did not know this story. Pretty seriously fucked up.

They made a movie about it in 1983 starring Merryl Streep, Kurt Russell, and Cher (of all people). 

But yeah, this sort of shit is more pervasive around whistleblower complaints than you think. 

3377.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Paris furious at scrapping of Australian submarine contract and new three-way technology pact

A Franco-British defence ministers’ summit due to take place this week has been cancelled as Paris steps up its protests over the loss of a £48bn submarine contract with Australia and its secret replacement with nuclear technology from the UK and US.

Ben Wallace, the UK defence secretary, and his opposite number, Florence Parly, had been due to hold a bilateral meeting in London and address the two-day Franco-British Council, now the latest casualties of the diplomatic row.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to AUKUS Row: Franco-British defense summit cancelled
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to AUKUS Row: French ambassador to return to US following Macron/Biden tête-à-tête
On 9/16/2021 at 6:25 PM, Mercury33 said:

Which is why I was curious. I live close to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and Bath Ironworks and everyone I know that works there says they’re crazy busy. So I was curious where they were gonna be built. 

Tony Stark is going to be building it in his basement garage.