Stellar Blade (Korean Bayonetta/NieR:Automata | PS5 | 26 April 2024) - reviews from OpenCritic and Digital Foundry posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Translation: Play when cheap/free on PS+.

Yeah I think you’ll definitely dig this. Just wait until you know nobody will be coming over to play it :P

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Very nice. Looking forward to tomorrow.

@stepee Is the demo actually the beginning of the game?

Yes, it is.

-

One nice little thing I’d like to call out is that you can hold down the button to pick items up and pick up everything collectible you run by. I appreciate when games do that mechanic that way.

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How did you get that translation from what he said lol?

You bought Rise of the Ronin...

For ME... and yes I bought Rise of the Ronin and I'm playing and enjoying it. What does that have to do with this? 

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah I think you’ll definitely dig this. Just wait until you know nobody will be coming over to play it :P

How difficult would you say it is in terms of Souls likes? I haven really heard anyone discuss that... Over on Reddit they were talking about the hair physics for some reason.

I don’t normally care too much about music in games. It’s not something I note too often. I appreciate a good zippy platformer soundtrack pushing things along but it’s not a crucial piece for me and I often play games with sound very low while watching tv. 

There are some exceptions like I love the music in the recent Ys games. And I think the Nier Automata soundtrack is phenomenal. One of the few games (again, besides Ys) that really made me take notice.

So all that is to say that I think it’s impressive that they nailed that aspect here. Because like they are trying to copy Nier Automata in a way by having a good soundtrack. But you can’t like..just say ok we are going to have a good soundtrack too! To actually hit that goal is quite an accomplishment.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

For ME... and yes I bought Rise of the Ronin and I'm playing and enjoying it. What does that have to do with this? 

How difficult would you say it is in terms of Souls likes? I haven really heard anyone discuss that... Over on Reddit they were talking about the hair physics for some reason.

I would say from what I’ve played (which isn’t much yet!) that on normal it’s probably on the easier side more like a Ninja Gaiden game and on story it’s also more like what you’d expect from an easy mode in a Ninja Gaiden game. 

If you’ve played FF0 i’d also compare it to that.

• Halal 1

Played 2 hours of this and it's excellent. Playing on story mode is the perfect balance for me in difficulty. The combat is awesome and so are the visuals. Music is really similar to NieR which is dope. 

I think I'm going to save this once I finish Avatar. I want my full attention on it. 

• Like 1
  • Hype 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Played 2 hours of this and it's excellent. Playing on story mode is the perfect balance for me in difficulty. The combat is awesome and so are the visuals. Music is really similar to NieR which is dope. 

I think I'm going to save this once I finish Avatar. I want my full attention on it. 

Thanks to you, I've been enjoying it as well. :) 

• Halal 1

The only context i have about this game is that the absolute worst people on the internet are making it “a thing” and were initially going off about how it isn’t woke but now they’ve pivoted because one outfit has some titty lace that didn’t at some point and the PCs pubic bone seems like it was edited as well. What a world.

• True 1

I played a bunch today, but stopped when I ran out of battery. I should probably get a second controller at some point :p 

It's solid. Has some challenging, but not overly challenging fights and doesn't make you spend a hour getting back to where you were. 

The first two areas (excluding the very short prologue) are fairly linear, but then you get to a city with a bunch of sidequests and a much bigger open area. All around a good time!

And yeah, asserting that this game was "censored" is fucking nuts looking at some of these outfits :lol: 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, legend said:

I played a bunch today, but stopped when I ran out of battery. I should probably get a second controller at some point :p 

It's solid. Has some challenging, but not overly challenging fights and doesn't make you spend a hour getting back to where you were. 

The first two areas (excluding the very short prologue) are fairly linear, but then you get to a city with a bunch of sidequests and a much bigger open area. All around a good time!

And yeah, asserting that this game was "censored" is fucking nuts looking at some of these outfits :lol: 

Oh, interesting. I didn't know it opens up and has side missions. Glad you had a good time. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The only context i have about this game is that the absolute worst people on the internet are making it “a thing” and were initially going off about how it isn’t woke but now they’ve pivoted because one outfit has some titty lace that didn’t at some point and the PCs pubic bone seems like it was edited as well. What a world.

The speed and stupidity of chud outrage is incredible.  The Syndey Sweeney fiasco was breathtaking to behold.

1 minute ago, LazyPiranha said:

The speed and stupidity of chud outrage is incredible.  The Syndey Sweeney fiasco was breathtaking to behold.

What happened with her? I'm a big fan of hers after watching Euphoria. 

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What happened with her? I'm a big fan of hers after watching Euphoria. 

Sydney Sweeney went on SNL and showed cleavage which, apparently, is something woke leftists have destroyed.  She got propped up as some icon of what liberals have tried to destroy because no one sees a big titted blonde on TV anymore, which is odd because she’s famous for being on TV.  

Anyway, a few weeks after she’s on SNL her new movies comes out which is about a pregnant nun and a presumably evil convent, and people were upset that somehow Hollywood was trying to take back Sydney Sweeney now that she had become a darling of the right.  

So somehow Sweeney became an icon of the right because boobs despite the fact that conservatives constantly bitch up sexuality on TV.  Then, somehow, a movie that was written, filmed, and edited months to years ago was actually created specifically to make the right hate her.  

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

1 minute ago, LazyPiranha said:

Sydney Sweeney went on SNL and showed cleavage which, apparently, is something woke leftists have destroyed.  She got propped up as some icon of what liberals have tried to destroy because no one sees a big titted blonde on TV anymore, which is odd because she’s famous for being on TV.  

Anyway, a few weeks after she’s on SNL her new movies comes out which is about a pregnant nun and a presumably evil convent, and people were upset that somehow Hollywood was trying to take back Sydney Sweeney now that she had become a darling of the right.  

So somehow Sweeney became an icon of the right because boobs despite the fact that conservatives constantly bitch up sexuality on TV.  Then, somehow, a movie that was written, filmed, and edited months to years ago was actually created specifically to make the right hate her.  

Well isn't that something. Yikes.

1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

July 4 Usa GIF

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Can't wait to read about best going from loving it to wondering why he "ever put time into this piece of shit." :daydream:

And I'd like to point out I played DD2 for 25 hours before I decided it wasn't a very good game. I gave it a lot of time but ultimately the game not having a story and any characters was enough for me to drop it. It is basically an MMO hidden as a sp game. 

On 4/26/2024 at 7:24 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I was just confused why you wouldn't buy this now since it's a genre you really like. Is it because of the controversy surrounding it?

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

. Is it because of the controversy surrounding it?

Actually it's because I have too much I'm playing right now. Finsihing up Rise of the Ronin and then gonna finish up Dragon's Dogma 2. After that I'm gonna tackle some games in my backlog like Armored Core VI, Elden Ring, Dark Souls 3, Wo Long etc.  I have a TON of games and I don't see this one as a Day One buy when I can wait and get it cheaper or free down the line if it hits PS+. Honestly there's like two or three games that I want that I haven't even bought yet that are ahead of this :shrug: I played the demo... it's good but it can wait.

• Hype 1

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

White men have a normal reaction to Sydney Sweeney online challenge... difficulty: impossible

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

The even bigger irony is that the only reason she was on SNL in the first place was to promote this very movie :p

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The even bigger irony is that the only reason she was on SNL in the first place was to promote this very movie :p

You sure about that?  I’m fairly confident they just looked out in the alley five minutes before air and found a chick with huge honkers to headline in order to own the libs or something.

• Haha 2
  • True 1

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'd thought you'd be all over this game. 

Nope.

8 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I only play games where I can self-insert as the main character.

• Sicko 1

13 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I've got way too many games to bother with this at the moment, but some of these takes people have been posting from the Reddit are cracking me up.

IYCNHl3.png

3QxEjbh.png

It’s just wild because the game actually IS very good. It doesn’t need all this…whatever this is. The MC character design is legit the worst thing about the game and the second worst thing is being a little too derivative of Automata (though it’s hard to get too mad at that!) and those two things are the entire social media cycle for the game.

The most interesting thing really is kind of where the game fits in between the character action game and soulslikes and kind of meeting them both in the middle. It’s an approach that I think works well for me, and as someone who wants more straight up action games and less soulslikes, works as a decent compromise.

That and combat just feels real good and enemy animations are on point and it’s all just real polished without a lot of annoying crap.

• Halal 1

It’s also the first AAA game from this previously mobile game developer, which makes it a bit more impressive. It kinda feels like the team was told by the CEO or whatever “make a game like nier with this chick” and were given the finalized design of Eve and the team said fuck it and managed to make their own great game within those constraints.

It would be funny if they keep the same MC design for their next game because I could see then this highly acclaimed 90+meta game with this ridiculous out of place  MC design.

20 hours ago, legend said:

It really is just a very satisfying game to play.

This. It’s just really fun to play. Not unlike FF7 Rebirth. Im about 8 hours in, doing double duty with Eiyuden Chronicles, and I'm really, really enjoying it. 

• Halal 1