Stellar Blade (Korean Bayonetta/NieR:Automata | PS5) - update (05/20): PC version and sequel being considered

Commissar SFLUFAN

I like that defense is actually satisfying in this game. I find defense mechanics often to be not be as fun as offensive mechanics in games. But with good windows and a perfect parry with counters, slow motion perfect dodge and counters, the blink move where you move straight through them, and how well it all looks and animates, it makes for really enjoyable combat.

• Like 1

Beat the first major challenge boss! Definitely made me work for it and took me a few times but I got the job done. You really want to be doing a lot of active defense in this game. I just made it to the main city so I got my preorder/deluxe bonuses finally and now I look slightly less ridiculous and same with Lilly who has maybe even a worse starting outfit than Eve.

• Hype 1

I believe I've finished all side quests and actually grinded through catching all the fish. There's a bunch of random collectables but I'll probably skip that and aim to finish it up next time I have a long-enough window. 

It's been really good!

• Hype 2

18 hours ago, legend said:

I believe I've finished all side quests and actually grinded through catching all the fish. There's a bunch of random collectables but I'll probably skip that and aim to finish it up next time I have a long-enough window. 

It's been really good!

Yeah I think people are sleeping on this one. It’s very very good! I’m having a blast with it, also doing all the side missions so it’s actually quite meaty. I think it’s like 30-40 hours if you do the side missions. I know I’ve been playing a lot and have quite a bit to go still.

I take it you’ve played through the Dead Space level? That ruled!

Also with the black planet diving suit (2nd), the short pony tail, and a haircut, Eve is a lot less off putting now! This suit is kind of just like a MGS sneak suit so it works and the hair is less distractingly dumb. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Yeah I think people are sleeping on this one. It’s very very good! I’m having a blast with it, also doing all the side missions so it’s actually quite meaty. I think it’s like 30-40 hours if you do the side missions. I know I’ve been playing a lot and have quite a bit to go still.

I take it you’ve played through the Dead Space level? That ruled!

Which one? :mthinking:

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Also with the black planet diving suit (2nd), the short pony tail, and a haircut, Eve is a lot less off putting now! This suit is kind of just like a MGS sneak suit so it works 

Yeah there's a bunch of outfits that are not as unsubtly sexualized. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

and the hair is less distractingly dumb. 

I think you mean less "dull" :p 

42 minutes ago, legend said:

Which one? :mthinking:

Yeah there's a bunch of outfits that are not as unsubtly sexualized. 

I think you mean less "dull" :p 

I won’t inquire more about that hint but hype!

Holy shit these final boss fights have been quite the skill check. I have one left but need to take a break after the pen-ultimate boss kicked my ass for a long time. Finally got through but I hear the last one is an even bigger fucker.

(Then I watched someone online do the boss I just did with no special abilities and just effortless perfect dodge and parry everything.)

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

The story kind of reminds me of a 32bit/ps2 era game where there are cool ideas and the overall story is interesting as a plot but you can tell nobody has had much experience with professional writing and the actual character interactions are quite bad.

I don’t really mean this as a negative.

• True 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

Cool. Yeah, you have to have done enough of things to get Lily's relationship maxed. I looked that up before I went and was nervous I didn't have enough but did!

Oh shoot I didn’t realize that at all and would have been pissed if I missed that mission! Luckily at 45 hours and counting, this has been quite a thorough playthrough.

• Hype 1

Finished the final boss just now. Good shit! It ended up not being as awfully hard as I feared. I mean, it hits like a fucking truck, but you can spam your beta attacks at it for the most part. I kept thinking I would need to be more conservative in my power use. You don't really. Just unload. Use shield breaker when it has shield and unload the triple attack otherwise. You don't need to survive that much in between spams when you don't have energy :p I think the pen-ultimate boss was on the whole harder.

(That's for the boss I fought at least -- since it can vary based on choices I'm not sure about the other path)

Credits roll!

That was a lot better than I expected. I was hyped up for it as a 7/10 corny AA action game sorta affair and it’s much more than that. I’d probably give it a 9/10 actually. I was thinking 8.8 or something but things really went wild on that last stretch.

I have no idea if I got whatever the “good” ending is. It’s all such a fucking depressing nightmare of a situation lol 

Ill have to see what the other options were.

The end game combat is so freakin good with lots of options defensively and offensively and it all chimes and sings in a really satisfying groove

Back to the ending 

In mine I chose to fuse with Adam. I wasn’t having mother spheres shit no more. Kind of a funny sopranos type end with a straight cut to black while you fight off the Angels. Also lol that the ending is almost literally Mass Effect 3 but only two choices. Also I groaned about half way through the game when I realized of yeah…his name is Adam. I did not expect them to get so literal with it though!

The last boss fight for me

the Mech

was definitely the hardest battle and took me about 5 tries but I was so damn leveled up and was able to power through just barely. I’m glad I was so overpowered for easy mode at that point but jeeze it is a spike.

The boss before that for me was the same as the other bosses towards the end, harder but still beat them with like 3 of my 7 tumblers left.

• Hype 1

Also the game was MUCH longer than I anticipated. I thought I heard 20 hours, and hltb has it at 23 hours for a straight story run and I’m sure that’s possible but you’re not only have to really b-line it but also just be great at the game and playing on easy. It would be pretty hard I feel if you weren’t leveling up. And well, over half of the content in the game is side quests pretty much so that would be silly. 

It’s not a problem that it’s this long because there is a lot of depth to it beyond the combat so it works. Also you visit a lot of varied locations throughout. 

Normally I would have liked to have known it was going to be a bit of a longer game when I started but it worked out okay since nothing lengthy was coming out that tempted to pull me from it. Of course, my play through might be a bit excessive but I would expect the average play though to be something like 30-45 hours if you aren’t really good and trying to rush it.

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Credits roll!

That was a lot better than I expected. I was hyped up for it as a 7/10 corny AA action game sorta affair and it’s much more than that. I’d probably give it a 9/10 actually. I was thinking 8.8 or something but things really went wild on that last stretch.

I have no idea if I got whatever the “good” ending is. It’s all such a fucking depressing nightmare of a situation lol 

Ill have to see what the other options were.

The end game combat is so freakin good with lots of options defensively and offensively and it all chimes and sings in a really satisfying groove

Back to the ending 

Hide contents

In mine I chose to fuse with Adam. I wasn’t having mother spheres shit no more. Kind of a funny sopranos type end with a straight cut to black while you fight off the Angels. Also lol that the ending is almost literally Mass Effect 3 but only two choices. Also I groaned about half way through the game when I realized of yeah…his name is Adam. I did not expect them to get so literal with it though!

The last boss fight for me

Hide contents

the Mech

was definitely the hardest battle and took me about 5 tries but I was so damn leveled up and was able to power through just barely. I’m glad I was so overpowered for easy mode at that point but jeeze it is a spike.

The boss before that for me was the same as the other bosses towards the end, harder but still beat them with like 3 of my 7 tumblers left.

Did you watch till end of credits?

Spoiler

If you saved Lily and fused with Adam, you get a little more showing that you win, and then help Xion recover. 

I made the same choice as you and watched the other endings and it seems pretty clearly to be the best choice, unless you don't do thing I spoilered  :p 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Also the game was MUCH longer than I anticipated. I thought I heard 20 hours, and hltb has it at 23 hours for a straight story run and I’m sure that’s possible but you’re not only have to really b-line it but also just be great at the game and playing on easy. It would be pretty hard I feel if you weren’t leveling up. And well, over half of the content in the game is side quests pretty much so that would be silly. 

It’s not a problem that it’s this long because there is a lot of depth to it beyond the combat so it works. Also you visit a lot of varied locations throughout. 

Normally I would have liked to have known it was going to be a bit of a longer game when I started but it worked out okay since nothing lengthy was coming out that tempted to pull me from it. Of course, my play through might be a bit excessive but I would expect the average play though to be something like 30-45 hours if you aren’t really good and trying to rush it.

Yeah my playthrough was about 40hrs too. It was a good-sized adventure!

1 minute ago, legend said:

Did you watch till end of credits?

Reveal hidden contents

I made the same choice as you and watched the other endings and it seems pretty clearly to be the best choice, unless you don't do thing I spoilered  :p 

Actually I typed that all up as the credits were rolling and just now finished the post credits scene!

That’s a little happier of an ending!

• Hype 1