Might be time for a new console but not sure where to even start

brucoe

I'm not a heavy console gamer, although I have probably bought every major console that has ever been released (yeah, that sounds bizarre even as I type it).

I have an Xbox One and a Nintendo Switch right now, but my Xbox is starting show signs of age as the dvd player starts to skip every now and then. It's not a big deal as I really only use it for watching movies and tv shows these days, but at one point it was a pretty expensive system, and I do have the full package gaming suite that I could be using, but rarely ever do.

I've been wanting to get into console gaming forever, and really the only problem I've ever had is that I hate the controllers (which is why I always end up going back to my PC for gaming). But there are so many choice titles out there that are mostly console based, and it always bugs me that I never get the opportunity to play them.

I was going to buy both of the new consoles that were released, but so far they're elusive, and I don't honestly think I'm ever going to be able to buy one. Which kind of brings me back to thinking about getting one or the other of whatever the last generation was (which would be either a similar device to what I already have or one of the Playstation 4s. And honestly, the real reason to replace them is just to add a new bluray player, although it would probably be just as easy to buy just a bluray player and not even get a gaming system. But I do want to give myself that opportunity to play console games, if I can, and I'm just not sure what direction to take because I'm not really tied all that much to any specific console ecostructure, although I already do pay MIcrosoft for the gaming pass.

Thoughts?

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think you can use keyboard and mouse on both if you really want.

I don't really trust the technology on that yet as I bought a couple of keyboard/mouse products that were supposed to work with the Xbox One, and what I kept running into was very limited support in most of the games with those devices. I'm still kind of fuming over a somewhat expensive Razer interface system I bought, but so few games even tried to support. When I bought it, I thought all of my prayers had been answered (proving I pray for some pretty stupid things).

If you're looking at buying a Sony console and didn't own one last gen, I'd spring for a PS5.  Many prior gen exclusives run at double the framerate, and you'd have access to a solid bunch of them in the PS Plus Collection (which isn't available on PS4).

Basically, you can play last gen catch up for $60 / year.  And also redeem whatever monthly games they offer on top of that.

50542075172_f5e06d1bab_k.jpg

The current list:

Alternatively, you could just snag a bunch of PS4 games for cheap.  Most PS4 exclusives run about $10-20 now each time they do a big digital sale.

Well you got several 'get a PS5' responses... so I'll tell you to get an xbox series X and subscribe to gamepass.

If you already game on PC you will get access to tons of content on PC with your gamepass subscription.  

Plus on the console you will instantly have more games to play on your console then you will ever get to - and that is a pretty great value right out of the box.  Also you will get to enjoy Forza and Halo in the next couple months.

56 minutes ago, number305 said:

Well you got several 'get a PS5' responses... so I'll tell you to get an xbox series X and subscribe to gamepass.

If you already game on PC you will get access to tons of content on PC with your gamepass subscription.  

Plus on the console you will instantly have more games to play on your console then you will ever get to - and that is a pretty great value right out of the box.  Also you will get to enjoy Forza and Halo in the next couple months.

This is bad advice, IMO.  At the very least, it's not getting much bang for your buck.

The Games Pass library is a little better on console than PC, but certainly not worth the price of a Series X for the difference.  He'd also need Games Pass Ultimate to play any of those games online on console, costing an extra $5 a month.  Why not just get Games Pass on PC, enjoy the same Forza and Halo games there, and save a shit ton of money?  The library difference between PC and Console Games Pass is essentially negated by frequent PC game giveaways you own forever.

Put the money saved towards a different console, Humble Choice when its good, Switch games, PC upgrades, a Steam Deck, etc.

The PS5 makes more sense if you keep up with PC stuff, I agree with @crispy4000. Honestly, it's about the only way to go unless you just want like a hub to play your game pass games on your TV rather than hook your PC up to it. 

It'll give you by far a more diverse lineup of games  - I mean at this point, is there really anything coming out on Xbox that will be exclusive to the console itself? Plus if you haven't been on console in a while, there are many PS4 games worth your time as well. 

It's the route I've taken, and even though the PS5 is essentially a fancy PS4 at this point, it'll theoretically have some bangers some day. 

59 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Ha, imagine being a gamer but hating controllers. Wow. 

But yeah, agreed with pretty much everyone else. Get a Playstation 5. 

Controllers are objectively worse than KB/Mouse for some games.

Controllers are objectively better than KB/Mouse for some games.

47 minutes ago, number305 said:

If you have a PC, there isn't a real reason to get an Xbox.

Having an xbox and PC adds value it does not make one redundant.  Being able to game on your pc, then walk into the other room turn on your console and seamlessly continue playing the same game is a great feature.  There are absolutely some great games coming out for PS - but the days of those being isolated to the console are ending.  Most of those games will make their way to PC as well.  Sony is following the MS roadmap - they are just a few years behind.

47 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You should wait and get the Switch OLED model. It will play all the switch games you know and love but on a wonderful OLED screen plus it is @GameDadGrant approved!

I dunno if there is much of a reason to get the OLED when he already has the OG Switch. But worse choices could be made...

...like buying a Series X when a gaming PC is already owned, as well as a subscription to GamePass. :p 

My other real problem is just in finding a new console because scalpers are making that seem almost impossible these days, and I have zero desire to pay them for their crappy business practices just so they can gouge the rest of the population. However, if anyone knows a legit way that works in getting a console, include that info cause I just haven't cracked that code yet.

2 hours ago, number305 said:

Having an xbox and PC adds value it does not make one redundant.  Being able to game on your pc, then walk into the other room turn on your console and seamlessly continue playing the same game is a great feature.

I personally can't imagine paying $500 just for that convenience.  Even $300 for a Series S is a stretch if that's the point.  You might even consider buying a used Xbox One for xCloud instead.  Or look into an in-home PC to TV streaming option.

I'd rather just save the hassle and keep my gaming PC in the living room.  Problem solved.  Ever since everything went wireless and HDMI was popularized, this became a good option.

2 hours ago, number305 said:

There are absolutely some great games coming out for PS - but the days of those being isolated to the console are ending.  Most of those games will make their way to PC as well.  Sony is following the MS roadmap - they are just a few years behind.

If you're patient enough, PC will get almost everything.  If you're even more patient, PC will get Sony's PS4 games for as cheap as they sell on consoles.  Someday.

So IMO, buying a Sony console is more of a question of value and time.  If you didn't own a PS4 and want to play catch up on Sony's titles, it'd be best for now to get a PS5.  If you're not that interested in that or what's slated for the future, maybe don't.

With the Xbox ecosystem being (mostly) platform agnostic, there really isn't that choice.  All you truly need is one or the other.  PC or Xbox.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

Having an xbox and PC adds value it does not make one redundant.  Being able to game on your pc, then walk into the other room turn on your console and seamlessly continue playing the same game is a great feature.  There are absolutely some great games coming out for PS - but the days of those being isolated to the console are ending.  Most of those games will make their way to PC as well.  Sony is following the MS roadmap - they are just a few years behind.

Why not just buy two Xbox's then? Or build another PC to add to your PC? 

The convenience is marginal, especially if you wanna talk about the future when there'll probably be an Xbox App for your TV or whatever. It makes more sense to diversify the library of games to play. It's true that some of them will come to PC eventually, but Sony is not going to do the day and date thing for their big hitters, and they seem pretty guarded on a lot of their big titles. It's a nice cash grab for them after the fact. 

Having both a Series X and a PS5, I feel like the PS5 OS is still in beta at this point. I continue to have weird issues with the console flaking out on booting from sleep requiring hard resets 90% of the time I go to play something on it.

And both boxes are mostly last gen at best quality systems to date. There certainly aren’t enough native titles for either to make you say “I’m getting good value, here!” so it mostly comes down to playing older titles.

In that context, if you are already in the Xbox eco system it is a cheaper route to go to the Series X and move over your library.

But if you’ve been away from PlayStation for a while, tons of cheap PS4 titles to begin building that library with.

There @TheLeon, the definitive take you were needing :p 

6 minutes ago, johnny said:

if you game on pc, you should definitely go PS5 if you only want one of them. anybody saying otherwise is being ridiculous. 

Yeah, it’s like getting an iPad to go with your iPhone instead of getting an Android tablet. Who would do such a thing?!?!?

Just now, sblfilms said:

Yeah, it’s like getting an iPad to go with your iPhone instead of getting an Android tablet. Who would do such a thing?!?!?

thats not the same and you know it lmao 

as a pc gamer he can line up the games he can only play on xbox vs only on playstation. whichever list he likes more should be his answer. 

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It would be more like getting an iPad to go with your iPad. 

Nothing wrong with it! But when we have a guy asking genuinely for advice when he has access to all of the games that will already be on Xbox, I don't understand why you'd tell him to get a device that is essentially the same device, but on TV. 

We don't really need to bicker about it - but I'm just calling a spade a spade. The Xbox is a PC what goes on your TV - and so is the PS5, but it will let you play a different subset of games you didn't have access to. If you know that and still go Xbox, I have no issue with it, just giving my two cents. 

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

thats not the same and you know it lmao 

as a pc gamer he can line up the games he can only play on xbox vs only on playstation. whichever list he likes more should be his answer. 

The software options between the iOS devices is pretty much the same as Xbox library to PC library.

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It would be more like getting an iPad to go with your iPad. 

Nothing wrong with it! But when we have a guy asking genuinely for advice when he has access to all of the games that will already be on Xbox, I don't understand why you'd tell him to get a device that is essentially the same device, but on TV. 

Its like you figured it out at the bottom. The iPhone to iPad is exactly the same thing as Xbox to PC, for gaming they have largely the same function and library, but the way they are used (like an iPhone in your pocket every where you go) is a different experience.

That may have zero value to you, but it does for a lot of people which is exactly why you see people staying in the same eco system with different devices even though they could get access to significantly more software by mixing eco systems.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The software options between the iOS devices is pretty much the same as Xbox library to PC library.

Its like you figured it out at the bottom. The iPhone to iPad is exactly the same thing as Xbox to PC, for gaming they have largely the same function and library, but the way they are used (like an iPhone in your pocket every where you go) is a different experience.

That may have zero value to you, but it does for a lot of people which is exactly why you see people staying in the same eco system with different devices even though they could get access to significantly more software by mixing eco systems.

Did you not read his post? He doesn't give a shit about the ecosystems lol. He wants a blu ray player and a device he can play console games on. 

You guys are giving advice to an imaginary guy. 

And no, it's not iphone to ipad, it's ipad to ipad. 

You're not hauling your TV around in your pocket. It's a machine hooked up to a bigger stationary screen. 

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

except these are gaming consoles and he can get netflix on both of them 

I legitimately have no idea what point you are making or addressing here 😂

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

Did you not read his post? He doesn't give a shit about the ecosystems lol. He wants a blu ray player and a device he can play console games on. 

You guys are giving advice to an imaginary guy. 

And no, it's not iphone to ipad, it's ipad to ipad. 

You're not hauling your TV around in your pocket. It's a machine hooked up to a bigger stationary screen. 

People often don’t know what they want. I didn’t realize how much I would like not going to gas stations until I got my wife an electric car.

Yes, there is a significant difference in the experience of gaming at a desk with a mouse and keyboard vs. kicking back on your couch with a controller. In the same way there is a significant difference between a pocket sized iOS device and a tablet sized iOS device.

It is hilarious to watch people completely incapable of understanding the notion of divergent consumer preferences. It reminds me of conversations I have all the time where people get surprised that I don’t play movies at my theaters that I want to see. Like, what does it matter if I want to see them or not? I’m looking at my customer base and guessing what they will like and offering a calendar of movies they want.