Might be time for a new console but not sure where to even start

brucoe

@brucoe If you would like a console with a great controller, a (I have to imagine) better UI and storefront, and the ability to play your gamepass games from your desk and your couch, the Xbox is a great option. 

If you want the ability to play games that you won't be able to play on your PC - many of us would be happy to provide you with a list of titles that you might be interested in - the PS5 might be better for you. And hey, the PS5 controller feels a tad different than some of the controllers you apparently aren't a fan of, and it has some interesting force feedback features that at least might be something a little interesting for you. 

For my money, as I think I made clear, I'd like to play more unique games over those conveniences the Xbox would provide, but I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Its like you figured it out at the bottom. The iPhone to iPad is exactly the same thing as Xbox to PC, for gaming they have largely the same function and library, but the way they are used (like an iPhone in your pocket every where you go) is a different experience.

I vastly prefer my PC's TV experience to consoles at this point.

UX3EuTx.jpeg

Video previews, custom playlists and library views.  Heck, my PC can even wake my PS4 and switch TV inputs to it.

Point being, the TV experience between consoles and PC isn't so large that you need a console for it to feel like a console.  Valve's working on an update to Big Picture mode as well, if you don't want to look into alternatives (like the above).

57 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

And both boxes are mostly last gen at best quality systems to date. There certainly aren’t enough native titles for either to make you say “I’m getting good value, here!” so it mostly comes down to playing older titles.

In that context, if you are already in the Xbox eco system it is a cheaper route to go to the Series X and move over your library.

For games that weren't ported to PC, backwards compatibility on Xbox is a big deal.  And if you want to keep all your game saves, trophies, etc, it makes some sense not to switch.  Cost?  Depends on what you own that isn't on Games Pass or Play Anywhere.  Older multiplatform games are dirt cheap during sales.  And since you're saving $5 extra a month not paying for online play...

Either way, this is a tangent.  The person who stuck with Xbox switching to PC isn't the context of this thread.

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

For games that weren't ported to PC, backwards compatibility on Xbox is a big deal.  And if you want to keep all your game saves, trophies, etc, it could make a some sense not to switch.  Cost?  Depends on what you own that isn't on Games Pass or Play Anywhere.  Older multiplatform games are dirt cheap during sales.  And if you already paying $5 extra a month on consoles for online play...

If you already have an Xbone library, making the movie to Series X provides you with immediate access to  the best versions of the library you already have. Same if you already have a PS4 and are thinking of going PS5. Though to date MS has done an overall better job of moving things from one gen to the next.

As far as your PC gaming on a TV thing, my computer is in my office and that’s where it as staying as it is firstly my work place :p Glad you have found a way to enjoy PC gaming in the living room though. I had a living room PC years ago but really the types of games I like to play on the PC aren’t particularly suited for couch play!

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

As far as your PC gaming on a TV thing, my computer is in my office and that’s where it as staying as it is firstly my work place :p Glad you have found a way to enjoy PC gaming in the living room though. I had a living room PC years ago but really the types of games I like to play on the PC aren’t particularly suited for couch play!

It stopped making sense for me to consider a gaming PC a desk device a while back.  They can be.  But with 4K being the visual aim for so many games, I'd rather see them on the big screen.  Plus there's controller support for everything now.

Maybe if I played a lot of MOBAs, RTSs and multiplayer FPSs it'd be different.  But I'd still probably go cheapo for the desk PC if I needed one.

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

People often don’t know what they want. I didn’t realize how much I would like not going to gas stations until I got my wife an electric car.

I hate the gas station even though I don’t even get out of my car. My next car will definitely be electric 

I use my XSX far more than my PS5. If you cared about Sony exclusives you’d have played them already. Quick resume and smart delivery are things that are just nice to have, once you have them it’s hard to not have them anymore. Plus you’ll get cross play on many games with your PC. 

The PS5 will have some different exclusives that will eventually come to PC and charge you twice for them.

XSX will share exclusives it’s the pc but will only charge you once for them, or not at all if you get games pass.

I think the XSS is the more convenient console with better features. PS5 has its high quality exclusives and that’s about it. It’s also butt ass ugly. I do like the dual sense controller and I know it’s not a big deal but it’s battery life is still shit.

• Thanks 1

Without a back catalog of Xbox games you already own, its still paying $500 (+ Xbox Live fees) for the connivence of not moving your gaming PC back and forth for Games Pass on the TV.  Or refusing to keep it in your living room for whatever reason.

Something else that’s being overlooked here: He can’t play his PC Steam library on either console without resorting to a streaming solution.  If access to his existing game library is important, perhaps the Deck is the most sensible (and flexible) option.  For now, at least, it is the Switch Pro.  With better and free online, and cheaper indies.

I think if expanding your game options matters, you either ask yourself how badly you’d want new and old PS games both, because their PC ports come late/expensive with no subscription option, or you start saving for whatever Nintendo has in store next.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Without a back catalog of Xbox games you already own, its still paying $500 (+ Xbox Live fees) for the connivence of not moving your gaming PC back and forth for Games Pass on the TV.  Or refusing to keep it in your living room for whatever reason.

"Xbox live fees" are included in the price of Game Pass Ultimate which is only $5 more than PC game pass and that is if you haven't stacked or used rewards to get it free.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

"Xbox live fees" are included in the price of Game Pass Ultimate which is only $5 more than PC game pass and that is if you haven't stacked or used rewards to get it free.

“Only $5 more” is still $60 extra a year.  $300+ over the course of a generation.  That’s not nothing.

Stacking promos is still thing, you’re right.  The current limit is 3 years per account.  It’s a sweet deal if you’re willing to jump through the required hoops.  If you plan to stick with the ecosystem longer than that it’ll be back to normal eventually.

In the larger scheme of things, this is still work you’re doing to discount something that should cost nothing. (Online play). If having a console is all you’ve ever been used to with online gaming, maybe that’s no big thing.  For me personally, it’s a strike against them.  All of the big three.

Free online on the Deck makes them look even more like scam artists.

7 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Something else that’s being overlooked here: He can’t play his PC Steam library on either console without resorting to a streaming solution.  If access to his existing game library is important, perhaps the Deck is the most sensible (and flexible) option.  For now, at least, it is the Switch Pro.  With better and free online, and cheaper indies.

I think if expanding your game options matters, you either ask yourself how badly you’d want new and old PS games both, because their PC ports come late/expensive with no subscription option, or you start saving for whatever Nintendo has in store next.

At the end of the day these boxes play 99% of the same games. Sony does have some great exclusives but they didn’t acquire a pc porting studio to not put these games on pc. Then charge you $70 for the PS5 version and $60 for the pc version a year or two later. Where as if you want say Starfield you pay $60 once and can play both the pc and XSX version the same day.

Sony does have some great exclusives so you have to figure out how interested in them you are. Because if your interest is low at this point I think the XSX is a better console with a better ecosystem if you care about having your games on both console and pc.

22 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Then charge you $70 for the PS5 version and $60 for the pc version a year or two later.

This doesn’t reflect the current reality.  They discount console versions to <$20, make them a pick-up on PS Plus, then port them to PC for full price years later.

I’d love to see this change for the better.  We just don’t have the evidence yet.

I’m most inclined to wait on buying a PS5 until the game prices plummet.  That’s where Microsoft has the better pitch with Games Pass.  Though buying an Xbox is a wholly different proposition for someone without a PC gaming aversion.

22 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Where as if you want say Starfield you pay $60 once and can play both the pc and XSX version the same day.

Or just move your PC to the screen you want to play it on and keep $500 in your bank account. 

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

This doesn’t reflect the current reality.  They discount console versions to <$20,  make them a pick-up on PS Plus, then port them to PC for $60 years later.

I’d love to see this change.  We just don’t have the evidence yet.

Or just move your PC to the screen you want to play it on and keep $500 in your wallet.

How often do you move consoles or your pc to different rooms of your house? He wants a console to play for whatever reason, a little bonus if he gets an XSX is he can play a lot of his pc games on it too for no additional charge which isn’t happening on a PS5. Also if you care for last gen games at all, holy shit it’s just way easier to play them on the XSX. Last thing you want to deal with if you want to play a last gen game with next gen updates is deal with all of Sony’s bullshit when you literally don’t have to on the XSX. All the PS5 has going for it is the exclusives, because the more I think it about the XSX is superior In almost every other way.

So again if the exclusives interests you get the PS5. If not get the XSX.

14 minutes ago, Dodger said:

How often do you move consoles or your pc to different rooms of your house?

I don’t move my gaming PC out of my living room.  For all intents and purposes, it is my most used console.  It functions as such, and other things, if I so choose.

14 minutes ago, Dodger said:

How often do you move consoles or your pc to different rooms of your house? He wants a console to play for whatever reason, a little bonus if he gets an XSX is he can play a lot of his pc games on it too for no additional charge which isn’t happening on a PS5. Also if you care for last gen games at all, holy shit it’s just way easier to play them on the XSX. Last thing you want to deal with if you want to play a last gen game with next gen updates is deal with all of Sony’s bullshit when you literally don’t have to on the XSX. All the PS5 has going for it is the exclusives, because the more I think it about the XSX is superior In almost every other way.

No one’s made the argument he should buy a PS5 for (old) multiplatform games if he already has a PC.  Ever think he already might own many of those games on Steam?

My PS4 is my Sony games box in the same way people (used to?) talk about Nintendo consoles.  It’ll be the same with PS5 for me, if I ever get one.  No harm, no foul.  It’s either you think that’s worth it or it’s not.

If their pc ports ever get more timely and have price parity, I’d never get one. 

31 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I don’t move my gaming PC out of my living room.  For all intents and purposes, it is my most used console.  It functions as such, and other things, if I so choose.

No one’s made the argument he should buy a PS5 for (old) multiplatform games if he already has a PC.  Ever think he already might own many of those games on Steam?

My PS4 is my Sony games box in the same way people (used to?) talk about Nintendo consoles.  It’ll be the same with PS5 for me, if I ever get one.  No harm, no foul.  It’s either you think that’s worth it or it’s not.

If their pc ports ever get more timely and have price parity, I’d never get one. 

The main argument here is that there is no point to getting a Series console if you have a pc because ms puts all their exclusives on pc. I’m saying IMO having both consoles, the XSX is a better console and you should only get a PS5 if you’re interested in those exclusives. And those exclusives are likely to coming to pc later anyway, except Sony will charge you to buy both versions where me doesn’t. Plus you just illustrated nobody actually moves their pc/consoles around the house all the time.

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

The main argument here is that there is no point to getting a Series console if you have a pc because ms puts all their exclusives on pc. 

Little point to, yes.  Even moreso if you've already been gaming on PC and want access to your Steam/EGS/etc library in your living room.

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

I’m saying IMO having both consoles, the XSX is a better console and you should only get a PS5 if you’re interested in those exclusives. And those exclusives are likely to coming to pc later anyway, except Sony will charge you to buy both versions where me doesn’t.

This really doesn't address the main argument.  It says: only buy a Sony console if you care about playing their exclusives in a timely fashion.  (I'd throw pricing into the mix as well)  It doesn't say why a Series X is worth full price if you already have an equivalent PC.

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

Plus you just illustrated nobody actually moves their pc/consoles around the house all the time.

The idea that you should buy a $500 console strictly for convenience and not library expansion or power is very niche.

If his PC is underpowered and out of date, and/or he refuses to move it and hates streaming options, a better argument might be made for buying a Series X.  It's not a bad piece of kit for the price.

As a semi-duplicate for his PC though...

24 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Jim Ryan is waiting for them to get old and crusty before he does.

In all honesty, I think the "those exclusives will come to the PC eventually" talking point is a red herring. Some will and have, but I'd venture to guess many will not. If you're interested in those games and kind of just assuming that as a given, I think you're going to be disappointed. 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

If the $0.17 cents a day for XBL or PSN subs is an actual thing you need to consider, you can’t afford a $500 console and it’s associated accessory and software costs.

They tried to increase it to $0.32 cents a day and people threw a fit.  If it’s all just cents on the dollar…

Here’s a more practical way to think of the cost. You could have traded in an Xbox One X for a Series X and used the saved Gold fees over a few years to cover it.  You could keep doing this every time they do a refresh.

I also doubt most people would be paying for Games with Gold now that Games Pass is a thing.  The value it adds is pretty much moot.

Still hoping they drop Gold altogether one day and price Games Pass accordingly.