Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Mr.Vic20

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

Don't know for that one yet, but for most games, that's not true.  Check Digital Foundry's latest Shadow of the Tomb Raider comparison between X and PC.

Uh-huh, yet you still don't need a 2080 Ti for 4k 30fps so.... again, what is your actual argument? That a 2080 Ti is a 4k/60fps card even though it's not...? Oooookay.

I would argue that the 2080ti is more or less a 4K card. What it is not is an ultra maxed 4K card. It will however run about 95% of all games at 60fps/ultra with the exception of a few newer and un-optimized games (read as Ubisoft open world and ports not tweaked to the hilt).

• Like 1

I mean, if the argument is that 4k/30fps is totally fine and making graphical sacrifices and sacrifices in resolution by using dynamic resolution to achieve that is acceptable then an XboneX is totally the perfect thing for you. I choose high-end PC gaming because I don't want to make said sacrifices. :p 

:shrug: 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I would argue that the 2080ti is more or less a 4K card. What it is not is an ultra maxed 4K card. It will however run about 95% of all games at 60fps/ultra with the exception of a few newer and un-optimized games (read as Ubisoft open world and ports not tweaked to the hilt).

When you say a 4k/60 card it's assumed that you're talking about maxed graphical fidelity outside of maybe things like AA. I could technically run pretty much everything at 4k/60fps on my 980 Tis if I run in low settings. :p 

In the vast majority of games you'll get better than 60fps with all of the settings maxed out. There are only a handful of outliers that don't make it over 4K/60/Ultra and that's always been the case. There will always be games that for whatever reason, just defy the available performance curve. I won't hold that against the 20xx series, as I never have against any other generation of cards.  

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I’m quite happy with the 2080ti performance,  better than titan v performance is what I was hoping for, biggest disappointment is I probably need to wait another week. :P

They haven't charged me for the card yet! Hold me @stepee ! :cry: Has anyone EVER suffered as much as me, etc, etc!?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

In the vast majority of games you'll get better than 60fps with all of the settings maxed out. There are only a handful of outliers that don't make it over 4K/60/Ultra and that's always been the case. There will always be games that for whatever reason, just defy the available performance curve. I won't hold that against the 20xx series, as I never have against any other generation of cards.  

That's my point - those outliers are AAA games that are releasing basically alongside the card. I remember when the Titan V and whatever was prior came out and we all exclaimed "OMG finally 4k/60!" as it ran everything currently available at the time at 4k/60 except for shit games like Ghost Recon which we don't count because shit game = shit. I'm disappointed that the 2080 Ti is not the same - if a game came out 6+ months from now, yea, whatever, I wouldn't bat an eye. But, for it not to run the newest Tomb Raider at a solid 4k/60 is a little redonk IMO considering the equally redonk price tag.

Again, I'm totally fine with saying it's almost a 4k/60 card or even that it's pretty much a 4k/60 card. But it needs those qualifiers as it's not a flat-out 4k/60 card going by the benches of the current games. SAD! :nottalking: 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That's my point - those outliers are AAA games that are releasing basically alongside the card. I remember when the Titan V and whatever was prior came out and we all exclaimed "OMG finally 4k/60!" as it ran everything currently available at the time at 4k/60 except for shit games like Ghost Recon which we don't count because shit game = shit. I'm disappointed that the 2080 Ti is not the same - if a game came out 6+ months from now, yea, whatever, I wouldn't bat an eye. But, for it not to run the newest Tomb Raider at a solid 4k/60 is a little redonk IMO considering the equally redonk price tag.

Again, I'm totally fine with saying it's almost a 4k/60 card or even that it's pretty much a 4k/60 card. But it needs those qualifiers as it's not a flat-out 4k/60 card going by the benches of the current games. SAD! :nottalking: 

BTW, that being said, I'm probably still going to wind up buying one

:pratt:

• Haha 1

Hee hee, well remember Tomb Raider's port team decided to add in Lara's "Hair Demands". IF you tone that down just one notch, your frames will shoot over 60+ as shown in a couple other bench marks from other reviews. That said, I take your point about the performance, but really its the price point of the cards that is what hurts here. IF Nvidia had chosen to simple drop more cores in these cards and skip the tensor cores we'd be in a different place, but I'm honestly glad they did not. Its time to move on to some new tech. This is PC, we try things, even when they are hard for a while. Admittedly, we've enjoyed years of brute force superiority on the platform, but frankly, shit is simply getting harder at these higher resolutions. So while I loath the price point, I like that solutions like DLSS are being offered because if adopted or something similar through open standards is adopted, then we will see this generation of cards take off! 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Hee hee, well remember Tomb Raider's port team decided to add in Lara's "Hair Demands". IF you tone that down just one notch, your frames will shoot over 60+ as shown in a couple other bench marks from other reviews. That said, I take your point about the performance, but really its the price point of the cards that is what hurts here. IF Nvidia had chosen to simple drop more cores in these cards and skip the tensor cores we'd be in a different place, but I'm honestly glad they did not. Its time to move on to some new tech. This is PC, we try things, even when they are hard for a while. Admittedly, we've enjoyed years of brute force superiority on the platform, but frankly, shit is simply getting harder at these higher resolutions. So while I loath the price point, I like that solutions like DLSS are being offered because if adopted or something similar through open standards is adopted, then we will see this generation of cards take off! 

The crazy and annoying this is... Is it legit just Lara's hair with hair works and not like 10 other things on screen being affected? Because previous games used TressFX and had WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY less impact on framerate.

56 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

... Did you even read any of my posts? The issue is that it's not and/or barely achieving 4k/60 on current games. Your first reply to me you even quoted me as saying it's still under or barely above 60fps at 4k. :| 

New games that embrace DLSS will be more 4K viable than top end games at this exact moment (unless they're patched for DLSS).

That's not to mention other features that come with the new card that may be used to gain performance.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The crazy and annoying this is... Is it legit just Lara's hair with hair works and not like 10 other things on screen being affected? Because previous games used TressFX and had WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY less impact on framerate.

I can confirm, on my Titan V that hair is indeed the issue! I run my V with a 150Mhz overclock on core and memory and it still stays around 54 FPS! But toggle down that hair and boom, life is better! :lol: Nixxes is suppose to be patching soonish though! 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I can confirm, on my Titan V that hair is indeed the issue! I run my V with a 150Mhz overclock on core and memory and it still stays around 54 FPS! But toggle down that hair and boom, life is better! :lol: Nixxes is suppose to be patching soonish though! 

Witcher 3 hair didn't even affect my framerate that much :silly: 

4 minutes ago, legend said:

New games that embrace DLSS will be more 4K viable than top end games at this exact moment (unless they're patched for DLSS).

That's not to mention other features that come with the new card that may be used to gain performance.

Ah, just the man I wanted to see! So I was thinking, is it actually possible for the DLSS and Ray tracing to run together? Because if DLSS is dynamically altering asset details is it not totally screwing up the per pixel ray tracing? The things I think about while putting my pants on, poorly, in the morning! 

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Ah, just the man I wanted to see! So I was thinking, is it actually possible for the DLSS and Ray tracing to run together? Because if DLSS is dynamically altering asset details is it not totally screwing up the per pixel ray tracing? The things I think about while putting my pants on, poorly, in the morning! 

Unless the ray tracing pipe is also consuming tensor cores for parts of its rendering and takes too many, yes, they can be run together :)  

DLSS is quite independent from how the base-level rendering is done; whether it be pure raster, or otherwise. All the neural net is based on is "here is an input image." When you train the net, you can train it using images that used ray tracing to generate both the low-res and high-res images, at which point it learns to upscale for that setting.

So all it means to use DLSS with ray tracing, is that when Nvidia trains the net, it uses images with ray tracing rendering.

Also, just to give a taste of why DLSS is only the beginning, you can train the net to do all kinds of additional things, not just super scaling. That means you can have really compute-intensive post-processing techniques and then train a net to do it in a more efficient way.

It will be really interesting to see how creative devs get with this. This many tensor cores is a wild card, but it could lead to some truly awesome stuff.

37 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I'd say it's a 4k60 card.  Just not one that will always run that way under maxed out settings.

And honestly, if you think it needs  qualification, then what about the X1X being a 4K30 machine?  Many AAA games on it don't even hit a 4K resolution on average, or resort to reconstruction.

19 minutes ago, legend said:

Also, just to give a taste of why DLSS is only the beginning, you can train the net to do all kinds of additional things, not just super scaling. That means you can have really compute-intensive post-processing techniques and then train a net to do it in a more efficient way.

It will be really interesting to see how creative devs get with this. This many tensor cores is a wild card, but it could lead to some truly awesome stuff.

Soooo, basically:

Image result for super enhancements animated

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I'd say it's a 4k60 card.  Just not one that will always run that way under maxed out settings.

Then it's not a 4k/60 card, and if it is then so is my SLI 980 Ti.

And honestly, if you think it needs  qualification, then what about the X1X being a 4K30 machine?  Many AAA games on it don't even hit a 4K resolution on average, or resort to reconstruction.

I'm using your own argument as to how the 2080 Ti is a 4k/60 card for the XboneX being a 4k/30 machine to show you how terrible your argument is. I'm glad we both agree that the argument is just awful.

22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Then it's not a 4k/60 card, and if it is then so is my SLI 980 Ti.

There has to be a little fuzziness to this though, no? Otherwise my 980 isn't a 1080/60 card, because I can find games with some really demanding high-end features that cause it to be sub 60 for a fair chunk of the time.

14 minutes ago, legend said:

There has to be a little fuzziness to this though, no? Otherwise my 980 isn't a 1080/60 card, because I can find games with some really demanding high-end features that cause it to be sub 60 for a fair chunk of the time.

It's no longer a 1080/60 card, no. I would certainly say that it's good for 1080p/60 in most games, though (or a "mid-range card" where sacrifices should be expected). :p 

If 1080p/60 (ultra) is your goal for the next 12-months I wouldn't recommend less than a 1070/980 Ti... But, that card (your 980) is 4 years old now.

And so it begins...

"Thank you for your purchase from the NVIDIA online store. 

Unfortunately, we have experienced an unexpected delay in shipping your RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition order. We’ll be back in touch shortly with your new delivery date. 

If you have any other questions or concerns about your order, please visit customer service. 

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you again for your order. 

Sincerely, 

NVIDIA Online Store 

Customer Service"

:lol:

@stepee , I just received the above. I guess i'm not getting a card for another week or so... poop. 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

And so it begins...

Unfortunately, we have experienced an unexpected delay in shipping your RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition order. We’ll be back in touch shortly with your new delivery date. 

If you have any other questions or concerns about your order, please visit customer service. 

Sincerely, 

NVIDIA Online Store 

Customer Service"

@stepee , I just received the above. I guess i'm not getting a card for another week or so... poop. 

Might as well cancel it, then.

:] 

• Guillotine 1

40 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

And so it begins...

Sincerely, 

NVIDIA Online Store 

Customer Service"

I’m curious... did you consider going full-Lee on nVidia via that customer service link?