Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Mr.Vic20

I'm not surprised by these numbers,  as they basically fall in line with what I was expecting from a raw FPS bump between generations. On the Titan V, I'm running Shadow of the Tomb Raider at around 55FPS, fully maxed out in 4K. So to see the 2080ti edge it out by a few frames seems right, as that puts it at around 40-50% than a 1080ti. For reference, the Titan V is about 25-30% faster than the 1080ti. I can say that I'm truly impressed with just how shitty Mass Effect: Andromeda runs! Well done Bioware! Even next gen's cards can't quite run it properly. :salt: ahem, can't wait for DLSS patch on some of these games! 

Hey the 2080ti finally hits 60 on Andromeda! But yeah, lol.

If these numbers hold up, it’s exactlt what I wanted to see, put in any current game, turn up all the settings in 4k, and good to go at 60fps. I plan to oc it more than they do in the stock, so should eek out a few extra frames on things like tomb raider, again, if these are accurate.

13 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Mesh shaders are the next iteration of vertex, geometry, and tessellation shaders. The main idea here is to move LOD (Level of Detail) calculations from the CPU and onto the GPU. This can improve performance by orders of magnitude, and Nvidia showed a demonstration of a ship flying through a massive asteroid field with mesh shaders allowing for the real-time use of 'trillions' of polygons. The catch is that the LOD scaling culls that down to a more manageable number, in the millions instead of trillions. Mesh shaders will be an extension to existing graphics APIs for now, so they're less likely to see widespread use until/unless they're directly integrated into the DIrectX/Vulkan APIs, but the demo looked very cool.

This needs to be implemented ASAP.  Higher performance, less pop-in, and, hopefully, fewer microstuttering scenarios?  Yes please.  

14 hours ago, stepee said:

Hey the 2080ti finally hits 60 on Andromeda! But yeah, lol.

If these numbers hold up, it’s exactlt what I wanted to see, put in any current game, turn up all the settings in 4k, and good to go at 60fps. I plan to oc it more than they do in the stock, so should eek out a few extra frames on things like tomb raider, again, if these are accurate.

I'm hoping DLSS takes it up to around 70FPs (obviously without RT). OH, side note, I can't enable HDR in shadow of the tomb raider. IT stays greyed out, do you have this issue? 

Edit: never mind, I figured it out! You need to turn HDR on at the windows level before you start the game launcher, for whatever reason?

@stepee 

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to give you an update on the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti availability. GeForce RTX 2080 Ti general availability has shifted to September 27th, a one week delay. We expect pre-orders to arrive between September 20th and September 27th.There is no change to GeForce RTX 2080 general availability, which is September 20th. We're eager for you to enjoy the new GeForce RTX family!

Thanks for your patience.

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/09/14/nvidia_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_availability_update/

Sounds like we pre-order folks go first then online retailers , but maybe they are shipping in waves? I suppose a lucky few will actually get their's on launch day, so who knows! 

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-delays-rtx-2080-ti-general-availability-by-a-week/

Hopefully those of us who preordered in the first few minutes still get theirs around the same timeline we expected but @Mr.Vic20 we do need to brace ourselves for another week :(

Also, again we are still using huge grains of salt here and don’t know exactly how this relates to fps but:

Look at that number over the Titan V.

1 minute ago, mikechorney said:

I must have missed this.  Didn't you just buy a $3,000 video card 8 months ago?  That is just as powerful as this one?

Or did I miss something?

Actually, if the benches are to be believed, this card is a touch more powerful than the Titan V in raw rasterization. But that’s not what i’M excited about, but rather I want to experience the new features that the Turing architecture brings to the table. I love new tech, and am endlessly curious to mess about with it when it becomes available. 

3 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I must have missed this.  Didn't you just buy a $3,000 video card 8 months ago?  That is just as powerful as this one?

Or did I miss something?

You arw slightly off. This is going to be more powerful than the 3k card he bought 8 months ago. His card was never meant to be a gaming card though. He is just insane.

1 minute ago, mikechorney said:

Ray traced games won't launch with Nvidia's GeForce RTX graphics cards

I've also heard Linus make the same comment that there were no games for them to test Ray Tracing on.  That even though SotTR was out, the patch to implement Ray Tracing wasn't..

Yes, its true! I also expect we won't see the DLSS support out of the gate either. The whole launch seems like Nvidia only recently bothered to let others know what they we up to regarding the new tech. Which totally sounds like Nvidia's typical half baked launches. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yes, its true! I also expect we won't see the DLSS support out of the gate either. The whole launch seems like Nvidia only recently bothered to let others know what they we up to regarding the new tech. Which totally sounds like Nvidia's typical half baked launches. 

In this case it sounds like MS is the holdup since it depends on DirectX. Working on top of DirectX sounds like the right move, and ideally, Nvidia would have timed the release, but that may have been difficult.

2 hours ago, legend said:

In this case it sounds like MS is the holdup since it depends on DirectX. Working on top of DirectX sounds like the right move, and ideally, Nvidia would have timed the release, but that may have been difficult.

I hope its true and not their usual Brilliant engineering married to sloppy corporate habits. :p

• Haha 1

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Even Deus Ex and AC:O are barely acceptable, though. :/ 

4K is seriously hard. I don't think people understand just how hard it is, but well, it is. DLSS and/or techniques like it will be essential to ever seeing 8K. 4K gaming for everyone starts in 2020. 

4 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I don't think we will see 4k gaming on mainstream cards/consoles in 2020.

I think we will see 7nm cards by then that should allow for 4K/30 at a reasonable price. Granted, consoles would be crazy to not just keep using some form of checkerboard rendering but still, I can see 4K budget cards by this time, two years hence.