Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Mr.Vic20

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m curious... did you consider going full-Lee on nVidia via that customer service link?

Oh god no! These things are luxury toys! I have other shit to do, so I'll keep myself busy until it arrives. I fear the genuine neck-beard rage their customer service must be enduring right about now! :s

6 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That's the toughest part of all of this. IF DLSS gains traction, the the 2080 will be work its price (maybe?) but without that feature, there is the 1080ti, selling for 250-300 less and has essentially the same performance. That's a tough sell, at least for early adopters. 

Yeah I definitely would like to see games adopt it more, but thats a big IF.

5 hours ago, legend said:

It is not on par with the 1080Ti. The 2080 is far ahead. The problem, though, is the ways its ahead won't start appearing until later this year, and you don't know what the adoption rate of those features is at the moment.

If you were looking for a 4K card and would pay the price of the 2080 if it provided that, I would not get the 1080Ti now. The 2080 very well may be what you're looking for, but you should wait it a bit to see how adoption in the wild goes first. It would be a shame in that scenario to get a 1080Ti now, only to find out that indeed the 2080 is what you wanted if you just waited a bit longer.

Thats exactly the problem, if the adoption rate is low support will be lost and I'll have wasted a couple hundred bucks.

Not planning on upgrading to 4k for some time. 2k 144hz on high is my bar for now.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It's no longer a 1080/60 card, no. I would certainly say that it's good for 1080p/60 in most games, though (or a "mid-range card" where sacrifices should be expected). :p 

If 1080p/60 (ultra) is your goal for the next 12-months I wouldn't recommend less than a 1070/980 Ti... But, that card (your 980) is 4 years old now.

Forget about my 4 year old card; by this absolutist naming scheme it's even worse! The moment a game with ray tracing support comes out, a 1080Ti will also fail to be a 1080/60 card! Does it not strike you as a bit silly to draw the line like this?

19 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Yeah I definitely would like to see games adopt it more, but thats a big IF.

Thats exactly the problem, if the adoption rate is low support will be lost and I'll have wasted a couple hundred bucks.

Not planning on upgrading to 4k for some time. 2k 144hz on high is my bar for now.

This is why I think we should encourage this stuff. If you're the kind of person willing to drop that dough on a video card, and the tech is what it says it is, lets reward it and give it the support to get this awesome new era started!

8 minutes ago, legend said:

Forget about my 4 year old card; by this absolutist naming scheme it's even worse! The moment a game with ray tracing support comes out, a 1080Ti will also fail to be a 1080/60 card! Does it not strike you as a bit silly to draw the line like this?

Ray-Tracing is really a different story, and will a 1080 Ti even be able to use RT? I thought it was hardware dependent (in the way it’s being implemented through the RTX stuff)?

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Ray-Tracing is really a different story, and will a 1080 Ti even be able to use RT? I thought it was hardware dependent?

Could it? Sure. It would run like complete and utter dog shit and I seriously doubt developers will take the time to even try to support it on a lesser card. But that just makes it worse! Not only can you not maxout at 1080P at 60fps with a 1080Ti, you can't even max it out on a 1080Ti card period, which by your absolutist definition disqualifies it.

2 minutes ago, legend said:

Could it? Sure. It would run like complete and utter dog shit and I seriously doubt developers will take the time to even try to support it on a lesser card. But that just makes it worse! Not only can you not maxout at 1080 at 60fps, you can't even max it out on a 1080 card, which by your absolutists definition disqualifies it.

I’m asking if the option will be greyed out...

And it does not disqualify it as I already stated that RT is a different story, just as I would consider PhysX a different story.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Then it definitely does not disqualify the 10xx series as the option to use it isn’t even available...

5 minutes ago, legend said:

But that just makes it worse! Not only can you not maxout at 1080P at 60fps with a 1080Ti, you can't even max it out on a 1080Ti card period, which by your absolutist definition disqualifies it.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

No, I never stated such a thing, though your attempt at changing my argument and putting words in my mouth is noted.

I wouldn’t change the target performance/settings for an AMD card because it doesn’t support hairworks either.

Oh? Lets review:

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I'd say it's a 4k60 card.  Just not one that will always run that way under maxed out settings.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Then it's not a 4k/60 card, and if it is then so is my SLI 980 Ti.

You explicitly disagreed that its a 4K/60 card if it can't run at 60fps at maxed out settings for everything. Yet here you are refusing to disqualify a 1080Ti as a 1080/60 card even though we know that very soon it will not be able to maxout the settings *at all*, let alone at 60fps! 

Go home Spork, you're drunk.

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

One that isn’t compatible with current video cards due to everything now being DVI-D.

The 9xx nVidia series is the last with DVI-I, and the Digital to Analog converters are absolute garbage.

Are they? I remember on the old boards when the 1080Ti was coming out that we had this discussion, and @Xbob42 said he has a converter. My monitor doesn't use HDMI either, so I would need a converter. 

7 minutes ago, legend said:

Oh? Lets review:

You explicitly disagreed that its a 4K/60 card if it can't run at maxed out setting. Yet here you are refusing to disqualify a 1080Ti as a 1080/60 card even though we know that very soon it will not be able to maxout the settings *at all*, let alone at 60fps! 

Go home Spork, you're drunk.

Actually, since RT isn’t available I would not consider it part of the max settings on a card that doesn’t support it.

In regards to RT performance, I would only compare it to other cards that support RT and specifically when RT is used. In which case the 2080 Ti becomes almost a 4k/60 card and a 1080p/60 RT card.

This really isn’t hard to follow, especially since I previously stated that RT is a whole different story (twice).

Go home, Legend, you need to reboot your OS and stop attempting BS “gotcha” moments.

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

Are they? I remember on the old boards when the 1080Ti was coming out that we had this discussion, and @Xbob42 said he has a converter. My monitor doesn't use HDMI either, so I would need a converter. 

IIRC, he suggested a converter, and then also realized that they are terrible for gaming as they have input lag, and a max res of 1080p and 60hz. My monitor supports 1440p at 80hz.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Actually, since RT isn’t available I would not consider it part of the max settings on a card that doesn’t support it.

In regards to RT performance, I would only compare it to other cards that support RT and specifically when RT is used. In which case the 2080 Ti becomes almost a 4k/60 card and a 1080p/60 RT card.

This really isn’t hard to follow, especially since I previously stated that RT is a whole different story (twice).

Go home, Legend, you need to reboot your OS.

:lol: Your special pleading is over 9000!!!! I'm out. I need to eat dinner anyway.

1 minute ago, legend said:

:lol: Your special pleading is over 9000!!!! I'm out. I need to eat dinner anyway.

I’m not pleading at all...? That’s exactly how I feel and have always felt. I never discredited AMD card performance for not being able to use GameWorks either. Are you just attempting to be a dick? Oh, okay, then.

21 minutes ago, legend said:

Actually, let’s just review for a moment. I legitimately thought that you were asking me to clarify my position and have been attempting to do so. You now tell me that I am “pleading” by responding to you with clarification of my posts, thoughts, reasoning and position on something I have been consistent on for the 7+ years I have posted here, even after your second insult to me when I did no such thing to you prior to your attempted “gotcha”. Yet, now I am somehow “pleading” because your “gotcha” was just me going “ :confused: “ and responding with more clarification. I’ve never known you to act like an arrogant douchebag until now, but it’s good to know your actual character, I suppose. I eagerly await more of you attempting to talk down to me and a reply laden with lol and rofl emojis.

Enjoy your dinner. 

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

DVI-D is digital, DVI-I is both digital and analog and fits bith DVI-D and DVI-A inputs. You’re fine.

Yeah but if the 2080Ti only has HDMI ports on it, I'll need one of those converters, yes? It's only a 60Hz monitor, but it is 1440p. 

49 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Actually, let’s just review for a moment. I legitimately thought that you were asking me to clarify my position and have been attempting to do so. You now tell me that I am “pleading” by responding to you with clarification of my posts, thoughts, reasoning and position on something I have been consistent on for the 7+ years I have posted here, even after your second insult to me when I did no such thing to you prior to your attempted “gotcha”. Yet, now I am somehow “pleading” because your “gotcha” was just me going “ :confused: “ and responding with more clarification. I’ve never known you to act like an arrogant douchebag until now, but it’s good to know your actual character, I suppose. I eagerly await more of you attempting to talk down to me and a reply laden with lol and rofl emojis.

Enjoy your dinner. 

Okay, lets review. I was legitimately trying to have a discussion with you. Then you accuse me of putting words in your mouth when I've put in an effort to carefully look at what you said and respond to it.  So I give you back a little bit of sass in kind and now you're upset with that? Really?

But yes, you are engaging in special pleading. You took a hardline stance that because a card won't always max out a game a 60fps that it couldn't be called a 4K/60 card. I showed how this led to the conclusion that basically no card is ever safe in that sense, and suddenly you're willing to grant exceptions. There's no more reason to disqualify ray tracing as a critical aspect of maxing out a game than there is literally any other graphical feature. In fact, because ray tracing can have impacts on how you play the game, it's arguably a more worthy feature to be concerned with than a higher res texture map, or foliage draw distance, or hairworks, etc. When you take a hardline position in opposition to someone's claim, and then adhoc add exceptions whenever it suits you, that's special pleading.

Of course I'm with you that disqualifying the 1080Ti as a 1080/60 card because it won't be able to do ray tracing--or any number of potentially really cool graphical features these new cards will afford--is silly.  But that's the point: an absolutist simple criteria for this term is not a useful criteria. Unless you want to also deny 1080Ti being a 1080/60 card, you're in no position to reject Crispy taking a slightly more nuanced definition.

That's all I'll further say on the matter.