Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Mr.Vic20

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Allow me to translate Nvidia's latest message:

[boss of dude sending out communications] Dude. Dude! This shit is all fucked up right here! I can't handle this, I'm freaking out! I just wanted to have a good weekend! Wait, wait! That's it, we'll deal with this next week! Everyone will be more relaxed after a good weekend! I'm a genius! Yeah, yeah, that's it! 

[guy tying] Sir, they will be mor-

[boss of dude sending out communications]  Shut and type something really vague, like "we'll update you, in a few days! Tots sorry!" 

[guy tying] [shakes head] begins typing mutely

-----somewhere else, likely a mansion in Hawaii-----

Image result for nvidia jensen huang laughing animated gif

My guess, these will start SHIPPING on the 27th, not arriving between now and then.

23 minutes ago, Brick said:

So there's a lot of info out now about these cards now that they are out. Anyone want to give me a quick TL;DR? How is the performance of the 2080Ti, is it with it over the 1080Ti? 

You are looking at a roughly 35-45% speed increase over the 1080ti. These cards are champion Overclockers compared to their Pascal equivalents so if you OC all your cards, add another 5% to the previous number. Solid performance jump, terrible price if you are not looking to be an early adopter of Nvidia's newer tech. 

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Don't forget DLSS.  Basically, like checkerboarding but with none of the artifacting, and could potentially result in a clearer 4k image that some forms of TAA.

... no games use it yet.

Right, this is the aforementioned "newer tech" along side the much more widely touted Ray Tracing, which is itself a hybridized version of RT. 

7 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

You are looking at a roughly 35-45% speed increase over the 1080ti. These cards are champion Overclockers compared to their Pascal equivalents so if you OC all your cards, add another 5% to the previous number. Solid performance jump, terrible price if you are not looking to be an early adopter of Nvidia's newer tech. 

I don't really overclock. Being Canadian I'd probably have to pay about $1500 for the card, unless I wait for a sale. 

18 minutes ago, Brick said:

I don't really overclock. Being Canadian I'd probably have to pay about $1500 for the card, unless I wait for a sale. 

Then brick,  my man, this might not be the card for you! Wait for next gen and hope they bring the next cards back down in price a bit. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Then brick,  my man, this might not be the card for you! Wait for next gen and hope they bring the next cards back down in price a bit. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

What Vic meant to say was

ONE OF US ONE OR US ONE OF US

I mean, it's not like I don't have the money...

:lol: 

@Brick if you're willing to drop $1500 CDN on a card, then this is probably the best time to pay the sky high Nvidia price. However, if you want to feel a bit more sane about it, maybe wait until at least one game with DLSS or some other major feature is released and people get to play with it to confirm.

I'm pretty confident we know what the card is at this point, but you'll feel better with that extra bit of confirmation. That probably means waiting no longer than the end of this year, so it's not a huge gap.

31 minutes ago, Brick said:

Maybe I'll wait to see if there are any good sales on or around Black Friday/Cyber Monday. After all I'll need to upgrade other things, not just my GPU. 

That's a solid plan, and hey, Nvidia might even finally have some actual cards to sell by then! :p

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That's a solid plan, and hey, Nvidia might even finally have some actual cards to sell by then! :p

Let's hope. Not exactly sure what else I'll need. I know I need to upgrade my CPU, but I wonder if I'll need a new motherboard too, and I'll have to do the math to see if I'll need a higher PSU. 

On 9/22/2018 at 10:48 PM, Brick said:

Cheapest one is the Zotac Gaming triple fan from PC Canada for $1527. Add tax and you’re at $1725 in Ontario. That is $800 more than I paid for my SC2 1080ti all in 

21 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I went from a 780ti to a 1080ti, so I should be safe until a 2280ti, I guess. Although with the way they keep increasing prices, I am not looking forward to the $2499 it will cost.

I would expect (fuck I hope so) that prices come back down to the still high, but not crazy high, Nvidia prices of yore after this line. Adding so many new features with a major architecture changes, while also still having standard regular raster improvements can't come cheap. But next round it will be more old hat.

18 hours ago, Brick said:

Let's hope. Not exactly sure what else I'll need. I know I need to upgrade my CPU, but I wonder if I'll need a new motherboard too, and I'll have to do the math to see if I'll need a higher PSU. 

I'm kind of worried about my CPU bottlenecking things too. It's a high end i5 from end of 2013, which is a bit old. At the same time, Intel hasn't exactly been making huge strides, game CPU usage has been seriously bottlenecked by consoles' pathetic CPU, and the trend of this new line is to further offload tech from the CPU to the GPU. So it might be okay?

10 minutes ago, legend said:

I'm kind of worried about my CPU bottlenecking things too. It's a high end i5 from end of 2013, which is a bit old. At the same time, Intel hasn't exactly been making huge strides, game CPU usage has been seriously bottlenecked by consoles' pathetic CPU, and the trend of this new line is to further offload tech from the CPU to the GPU. So it might be okay?

The funny thing about CPU bottle-necking is that it typically occurs at lower resolutions like 1080P, at 1440P & 4K frame rates drop and with it the typical CPU work load while in a game. That said, DICE has stated that if you want to do Ray Tracing it carries a CPU cost on top of the GPU cost and that in their initial testing they think the current sweet spot is 12 threads, so they can "lightly" distribute the work load across as many cores as possible. So i7s or some thing from AMD is likely in your future! 

11 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The funny thing about CPU bottle-necking is that it typically occurs at lower resolutions like 1080P, at 1440P & 4K frame rates drop and with it the typical CPU work load while in a game. That said, DICE has stated that if you want to do Ray Tracing it carries a CPU cost on top of the GPU cost and that in their initial testing they think the current sweet spot is 12 threads, so they can "lightly" distribute the work load across as many cores as possible. So i7s or some thing from AMD is likely in your future! 

That means I may need closer to a whole PC upgrade since I'll need a new mobo, and then RAM as well.

Well, if I upgrade end of this year ~5 years give or take isn't a bad run for a PC I originally built on a mid-level budget.

54 minutes ago, legend said:

That means I may need closer to a whole PC upgrade since I'll need a new mobo, and then RAM as well.

Well, if I upgrade end of this year ~5 years give or take isn't a bad run for a PC I originally built on a mid-level budget.

ALL NEW HARDWARE?! Perish the thought! :sun::p

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

Going from a i5 2500k (OC 4.5ghz) to an i7 3770k (OC 4.5ghz) was a night and day difference in some games, most notably with frame timing, micro-stuttering, and minimum fps in games. In a few, the average  fps went up a decent amount too (total war games, TW3 and a couple others). I’d say you really want a 8 threaded CPU. Currently, I think the only game that really shows a cpu bottleneck for me is AC:O as I get the same fps average (according to the benchmark) in 1080p vs 1440p.

I plan on finally installing the 5960x that @Mr.Vic20 gave me almost a year ago (I know, I know!) in the next 6 weeks. I’m getting a new case, cooler, and possibly new PSU for it (which is one of the reasons I kept putting it off :p), so I’m 90% sure I’ll be doing a giveaway on my current i7.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Going from a i5 2500k (OC 4.5ghz) to an i7 3770k (OC 4.5ghz) was a night and day difference in some games, most notably with frame timing, micro-stuttering, and minimum fps in games. In a few, the average  fps went up a decent amount too (total war games, TW3 and a couple others). I’d say you really want a 8 threaded CPU. Currently, I think the only game that really shows a cpu bottleneck for me is AC:O as I get the same fps average (according to the benchmark) in 1080p vs 1440p.

I plan on finally installing the 5960x that @Mr.Vic20 gave me almost a year ago (I know, I know!) in the next 6 weeks. I’m getting a new case, cooler, and possibly new PSU for it (which is one of the reasons I kept putting it off :p), so I’m 90% sure I’ll be doing a giveaway on my current i7.

My current one is better than a 2500k (like  4700 series or whatever), but yeah, it's 4 cores only. I ultimately bailed on AC:O for other reasons, but I couldn't for the life of me get the fps to a stable 60 regardless of video settings, which is consistent with your experience of it being CPU bottle necked.

55 minutes ago, legend said:

My current one is better than a 2500k (like  4700 series or whatever), but yeah, it's 4 cores only. I ultimately bailed on AC:O for other reasons, but I couldn't for the life of me get the fps to a stable 60 regardless of video settings, which is consistent with your experience of it being CPU bottle necked.

IIRC, I remember benchmarks from a short while back (too lazy to google for them) and the performance, when OCed to the same clock speeds, between the 2500k and 4700k was within the margin of error. There’s been like no improvement to CPU architecture, for gaming*, until semi-recently. :/ 

With AC:O, maxed, I average 55-ish fps in the benchmark regardless of 1080p or 1440p. :silly:  Probably the first game that concerned me with my CPU since switching to the i7.

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

IIRC, I remember benchmarks from a short while back (too lazy to google for them) and the performance, when OCed to the same clock speeds, between the 2500k and 4700k was within the margin of error. There’s been like no improvement to CPU architecture, for gaming*, until semi-recently. :/ 

With AC:O, maxed, I average 55-ish fps in the benchmark regardless of 1080p or 1440p. :silly:  Probably the first game that concerned me with my CPU since switching to the i7.

Yep, that's pretty consistent with my results! :lol: I could get right below 60fps with basically any graphics settings but nothing I did would budge it past.

@Stepee Check you email, and make sure to look under your PROMOTIONAL tab. That's where I found my Nvidia email today! OCT 5th is the ship date with "Expedited Shipping". Whatever that means... 

"Expedited shipping" means "We're actually going to try shipping it and getting it to you when we claim. No promises, though."

@Stepee Check you email, and make sure to look under your PROMOTIONAL tab. That's where I found my Nvidia email today! OCT 5th is the ship date with "Expedited Shipping". Whatever that means... 

1 minute ago, legend said:

"Expedited shipping" means "We're actually going to try shipping it and getting it to you when we claim. No promises, though."

I thought it meant "lol, we f'd up with our supply but we're throwing a bs word for free to make you feel better about it, sucker!" :confused:  :p 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Hm, I don’t have a promotional tab in my email but I checked inbox and junk and did a search and didn’t see anything, nothing changed looking at my order status either. Hope that means Im

somehow even later than that even though I was just about 5 minutes behind you! Ugh, Oct 5th is bad enough as it is! Fall has started and I need a gpu in my desktop damnit!

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Hm, I don’t have a promotional tab in my email but I checked inbox and junk and did a search and didn’t see anything, nothing changed looking at my order status either. Hope that means Im

somehow even later than that even though I was just about 5 minutes behind you! Ugh, Oct 5th is bad enough as it is! Fall has started and I need a gpu in my desktop damnit!

Unless you paid with paypal, you order status won't change until your card is ship, so despite receiving my Oct 5th email, my order continues to sit at "order receive status, yay. I'm guessing you will get an email tomorrow, or at least I hope so! This whole launch has been a True Nvidia PR experience. The Nvidia forums though really have made it worth it! I've laughed out loud several times at some of the comments. This thread in particular can be mined for several sizable pieces of comedy gold!

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1071605/geforce-rtx-20-series/geforce-rtx-2080-ti-availability-update/

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Unless you paid with paypal, you order status won't change until your card is ship, so despite receiving my Oct 5th email, my order continues to sit at "order receive status, yay. I'm guessing you will get an email tomorrow, or at least I hope so! This whole launch has been a True Nvidia PR experience. The Nvidia forums though really have made it worth it! I've laughed out loud several times at some of the comments. This thread in particular can be mined for several sizable pieces of comedy gold!

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1071605/geforce-rtx-20-series/geforce-rtx-2080-ti-availability-update/

I just got the same email. Shipping “by” Oct 5th which means it’ll ship Oct 5th to arrive the following Monday. The most offensive is the email headline saying it’ll be shipping soon! I saw and and got excited only to see the same Oct 5th date.