House of Gucci - Starring: Lady Gaga, Adam Driver, Jared Leto, Jeremy Irons & Al Pacino [November 24]

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

Good lord Ridley Scott is prolific.

Also, he doesn't have like a "thing." You hear about a movie from tarantino or scorsese, you more or less kind of know what you're in for. A movie from ridley scott? Who the fuck knows. It might not even be good.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Also, he doesn't have like a "thing." You hear about a movie from tarantino or scorsese, you more or less kind of know what you're in for. A movie from ridley scott? Who the fuck knows. It might not even be good.

It's always wild to scroll through his credits on IMDB. "Oh look, the director and star of Gladiator reunited to make another movie! It's about a guy who... hangs out in a French vineyard?"

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone see this yet? I went last night. It's weird. I understand why reviews are kinda all over the place, because that's how the movie is. I liked it most in the beginning, where it's sort of a light romantic comedy about the Lady Gaga and Adam Driver characters. Then when it tries to get into the serious plot of who will lead the Gucci brand into the next era of fashion, my eyes start to glaze over. Maybe I would be more into the familial infighting at the top of a major business if I hadn't just watched two and half seasons of Succession, which does that perfectly. And I hate that this has sort of become a recurring thing for me lately, but this movie 100% does not earn its 2.5 hour run time.

As for the Jared Leto of it all, he feels like he's in a completely different movie from everyone else, but I think I would have enjoyed the movie a lot more if everyone else was operating on his wavelength. 

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This explains a lot. 

“Ridley, should this scene in Prometheus make any sense or seem like it fits in with the rest of the movie? Also why does everyone in this movie behave like they have brain damage?”

”Go fuck yourself!”

I could respect that.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

i think the film would be a dumpster fire if everybody was acting like jared leto 

Probably true for most movies with Jared Leto. It's why he's never the main dude on the poster. He's the Jack Sparrow to Will Turner.

That's why movies like that work so well. The most interesting characters are not the focal point of the story because they're obnoxious and unrelatable.

Imagine pirates of the Caribbean if EVERYONE acted like Jack Sparrow. It would end up an off brand musical.

That's also why I think it was a mistake to make Johnny Depp a star vehicle dude. That's not his place. Other than weird terry Gilliam shit like fear and loathing, which he also isn't really the main character of.

I get the Jack Sparrow analogy, but the difference there is that Pirates if the Caribbean is a good movie. I don’t know if the rest of the cast hamming it up like Leto would have actually made House of Gucci that much better, but it’s not like it would ruin a masterpiece or anything. 

• 1 month later...

This movie is soooo strange. It feels like every scene is tonally completely different from the previous. The acting is so stilted, including by some phenomenal performers, that I am left having to assume this was an explicit choice of Scott. There are a ton of scenes that add legitimately nothing to the plot or characters, which balloons the runtime to a tremendous degree. And indeed, Leto never fits in to a single scene with the rest of the cast. 

I don’t know if it is a bad movie, but it certainly is not a good one.