OMG INFLATION

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

I don't pay a ton of attention to prices while grocery shopping but I have a general sense if what things cost and it definitely feels like a lot has gone up. Also been consistently not seeing certain things, like the packages if chicken thighs I was typically buying, they seemed to disappear a couple of months ago. 

It is troubling that some very basic needs are going up right now given the recent jobs numbers, but it’s still a manageable rate

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't pay a ton of attention to prices while grocery shopping but I have a general sense if what things cost and it definitely feels like a lot has gone up. Also been consistently not seeing certain things, like the packages if chicken thighs I was typically buying, they seemed to disappear a couple of months ago. 

So I went looking to see what food prices have gone up, and found this for chicken:

social
WWW.WSJ.COM

Spicy chicken sandwiches, hot wings and a labor crunch push poultry prices to records. Some restaurants are running out of or limiting sales of tenders, filets and wings, cutting into...

basically, there is a worker shortage in poultry processing plants so supply can't keep up. If you happen to recall, poultry processing plants are some of the places with some of the absolute worst concentrated covid outbreaks. So it shouldn't come as any surprise that I'm sure many people who used to work in these jobs have gone elsewhere. UI and stimulus have little to do with the fact that these jobs sucked before covid and covid only made them worse.

Beef too!

WWW.THECATTLESITE.COM

US live cattle futures rose on 11 May for a fifth straight session, following high-flying wholesale beef prices.

Yet cash cattle markets have languished in recent weeks due to capacity issues at slaughterhouses that some have tied to tight labor supplies and social distancing policies.

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

as a debtor with fixed interest rates on debt, inflation is good so gimmie some more

So if ignore the substantial inflation on two of the things that everyone needs things aren't that bad, gee thanks economists. I know my grocery bills are up no exaggeration 50%+ from two years ago.

37 minutes ago, elbobo said:

So if ignore the substantial inflation on two of the things that everyone needs things aren't that bad, gee thanks economists. I know my grocery bills are up no exaggeration 50%+ from two years ago.

I mean, these prices are in the core index, but sometimes you want to take the volatility of these items (as a hypothetical example, a fuel pipeline put temporarily out of commission due to a ransomware attack) out of the equation in order to better see trends in prices. In this case there are a great deal many reactionaries who see hyperinflation around every corner largely due to the massive expansion in spending that just occurred so it's worth looking at price levels outside of these very volatile sectors

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So I went looking to see what food prices have gone up, and found this for chicken:

social
WWW.WSJ.COM

Spicy chicken sandwiches, hot wings and a labor crunch push poultry prices to records. Some restaurants are running out of or limiting sales of tenders, filets and wings, cutting into...

basically, there is a worker shortage in poultry processing plants so supply can't keep up. If you happen to recall, poultry processing plants are some of the places with some of the absolute worst concentrated covid outbreaks. So it shouldn't come as any surprise that I'm sure many people who used to work in these jobs have gone elsewhere. UI and stimulus have little to do with the fact that these jobs sucked before covid and covid only made them worse.

Yes I'm not confused about why it's happening, just adding in what I've noticed.

30 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Thoughts?

Absolute bollocks.

We aren't anywhere CLOSE to a hyperinflationary scenario and we actually have mechanisms in place through the Federal Reserve that can squelch it before it becomes a stark reality.

At the slightest hint that inflation may be getting "out of control", the Fed will jack up the prime rate with a speed that will defy the laws of nature.

WHY WON'T THIS MAN JUST KEEL OVER AND DIE ALREADY?!?

210205103253-biden-larry-summers-split-s
WWW.CNN.COM

A leading Democratic economist on Wednesday urged the White House to shift course after the government reported higher-than-expected inflation last month, which has heightened fears of fresh trouble for the recovering US economy.

• Guillotine 1

31 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Since lumber has undergone some price inflation, there are truthers on this subject, because of course

This is 100% the same as NIMBY vacancy truthers pointing to the one single construction site in town to prove that plenty of housing is being built.