Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (20 Apr 2024) - US House passes military aid bill for Ukraine

Moscow stock exchange had to halt trading for a second time in two days after their computer systems failed. Hardware-based system failures (across the country) have risen 5x in the past year due to shortages of components.

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

2i0VleC.png

Uh...what new Russian capability could this be? Their most-recent hypersonic missile was basically a dud and they can't really make them in large quantities. Cyberattack capabilities?

Mike Johnson peepee tapes? 

31 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

2i0VleC.png

Uh...what new Russian capability could this be? Their most-recent hypersonic missile was basically a dud and they can't really make them in large quantities. Cyberattack capabilities?

Space based weapons system? 

1 minute ago, Jwheel86 said:

They park nuke in orbit?

I want it to be UFO tech.  

My theory is that the US, along with Russia and a few other countries have absolutely retrieved UFOs and related technology, but have had a bitch of a time reverse engineering it.  Russia has figured out some trick to manufacture, or at least better understand how the alien technology works, and is getting ready to weaponize it.  

• Sicko 1

25 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If it's a "space laser", I'd shrug.

If it's a space-based EMP or really effective ASAT weapon, I panic.

Space-based EMP would literally just be a nuke since EMPs don't really exist.

Aaaaaand there it is!

ABCNEWS.GO.COM

The White House will meet with congressional leadership as a top Republican is requesting President Biden declassify information on a "serious national security threat"

Two sources familiar with deliberations on Capitol Hill said the intelligence has to do with the Russians wanting to put a nuclear weapon into space.

This is not to drop a nuclear weapon onto Earth but rather to possibly use against satellites.

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (14 Feb 2024) - Russia attempting to develop space-based nukes, according to US intelligence
57 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Aaaaaand there it is!

ABCNEWS.GO.COM

The White House will meet with congressional leadership as a top Republican is requesting President Biden declassify information on a "serious national security threat"

Cool.

Just drop it already, Putin.

spacer.png

• Sicko 1

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

I want it to be UFO tech.  

My theory is that the US, along with Russia and a few other countries have absolutely retrieved UFOs and related technology, but have had a bitch of a time reverse engineering it.  Russia has figured out some trick to manufacture, or at least better understand how the alien technology works, and is getting ready to weaponize it.  

I love you 

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm being dead serious - if the Russians have parked a nuke in orbit, that's a goddamned "Sputnik moment" right there.

why is putting a nuclear warhead in orbit difficult, they are small compared to most satellites?

I understand the threat it poses both immediate and for the future of weaponizing space but is it actually a major technical achievement?  

10 minutes ago, TheBladeRoden said:

I thought we had space nukes for a while?

Or at least the launched from ground then explode in space kind

Well, if we don’t have them now, you can bet your ass we’ll have them in relatively short order. Especially if Russia beats us to the punch.

4 minutes ago, elbobo said:

why is putting a nuclear warhead in orbit difficult, they are small compared to most satellites?

I understand the threat it poses both immediate and for the future of weaponizing space but is it actually a major technical achievement?  

It has to be more about the delivery system than actually getting it into orbit. Dropping something from space is not gonna be accurate, no matter how precise your GPS or how aerodynamic the warhead. Whatever device is carrying the bomb itself would have to make a lot of computer controlled corrections on its descent. My guess is the Russians are developing some kind of guided missile system that can operate in space. 

20 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Well, outside of it being EXPLICITLY against the Outer Space Treaty, having a nuke parked in space makes for a real big challenge in maintaining the equipment and making sure it's in good working order. And recovering it/taking it out of service means you deorbit a satellite and then have to pick through the wreckage to find a nuke...

27 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

It has to be more about the delivery system than actually getting it into orbit. Dropping something from space is not gonna be accurate, no matter how precise your GPS or how aerodynamic the warhead. Whatever device is carrying the bomb itself would have to make a lot of computer controlled corrections on its descent. My guess is the Russians are developing some kind of guided missile system that can operate in space. 

In this situation, there is no orbit-to-Earth delivery system as its purpose is an anti-satellite weapon.

Russia’s performance in the war wildly undercuts any notion that they could pull off a feat like this. I don’t doubt that they want a weapon like that and are taking efforts to build it, but I’m skeptical it is anything more than a speculative threat at this point. This just strikes me as political saber rattling trying to capitalize on recent (but probably not dire) intelligence. 

8 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Russia’s performance in the war wildly undercuts any notion that they could pull off a feat like this. I don’t doubt that they want a weapon like that and are taking efforts to build it, but I’m skeptical it is anything more than a speculative threat at this point. This just strikes me as political saber rattling trying to capitalize on recent (but probably not dire) intelligence. 

Russia knows how to build nuclear weapons, and they know how to build spacecraft.  It isn't hard to imagine them being able to integrate the two into one platform.  My biggest worry (if it is never used) is what happens to it after the satellite that carries the weapon fails?  The object that everyone is currently tracking is in low earth orbit.  Eventually, the orbit will decay and the payload will reenter the atmosphere. 

On 2/15/2024 at 9:58 AM, mclumber1 said:

Russia knows how to build nuclear weapons, and they know how to build spacecraft.  It isn't hard to imagine them being able to integrate the two into one platform.  My biggest worry (if it is never used) is what happens to it after the satellite that carries the weapon fails?  The object that everyone is currently tracking is in low earth orbit.  Eventually, the orbit will decay and the payload will reenter the atmosphere. 

We have a plan.