Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So at this point how difficult would it be for Europe to get the German nuclear reactors back online?

Very difficult.

My understanding that they're well into the decommissioning phase and it could take a few years to get them back online if the decision is reversed.

5 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

What’s up with the Ghost?

Urban legend, yes. But Ukraine's Air Force is still extant. I don't know if they fly missions so much now, but it hasn't been destroyed. And if we can turn the screws on Poland enough to give their MiG-29s to Ukraine, then it'll be a nice revitalization. 

But Ukraine's real strength is that they have such a robust and well dispersed SAM network. I say network... it isn't all patched into each other. It's just a lot of singular systems that are capable of acting independently all throughout the country. That's why so many of these Russian planes keep getting shot down. 

That and Russia keeps dropping dumb bombs on targets, meaning they fly lower and slower. I've even seen MANPADS claimed as being responsible for several Russian fast jet losses. 

In short, The Ghost was the friends we made along the way. 

The leaked "FSB Memo" (note: I really don't put much stock in its overall veracity) alluded to this in its opening paragraphs:

_123565442_gettyimages-1238855471.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

One of the world's biggest fertiliser firms says the conflict could deliver a shock to food supplies.

The war in Ukraine will deliver a shock to the global supply and cost of food, the boss of one of the world's biggest fertiliser companies has said.

Yara International, which operates in more than 60 countries, buys considerable amounts of essential raw materials from Russia.

Fertiliser prices were already high due to soaring wholesale gas prices.

Yara's boss, Svein Tore Holsether, has warned the situation could get even tougher.

"Things are changing by the hour," he told the BBC.

"We were already in a difficult situation before the war... and now it's additional disruption to the supply chains and we're getting close to the most important part of this season for the Northern hemisphere, where a lot of fertiliser needs to move on and that will quite likely be impacted."

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ukrainians are apparently using tiny electric drones that can autonomously drop up to 3 bombs (3kg total) up to 30 miles away. Apparently 60 successful missions so far. It was developed in Ukraine after 2014 in order to remotely strike stationary Russian targets without detection.

This type of development is what will really change warfare imo

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This type of development is what will really change warfare imo

This conflict has illustrated two things very clearly to me:

(1) The age of the armored warfare is probably/definitely dead and buried due to light infantry carrying MANPATS.

(2) The age of helicopter-borne air assault warfare is probably/definitely dead and buried due to light infantry carrying MANPADS.

In essence, the light infantryman has essentially reclaimed their role as the primary battlefield element.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

(1) The age of the armored warfare is probably/definitely dead and buried due to light infantry carrying MANPATS.

(2) The age of helicopter-borne air assault warfare is probably/definitely dead and buried due to light infantry carrying MANPADS.

In essence, the light infantryman has essentially reclaimed their role as the primary battlefield element.

Drones, Air-strikes wipe out dismounts…

Just now, 5timechamp said:

Drones, Air-strikes wipe out dismounts…

Yes, those are the counters to dismounted/light infantry (as well as armor!)

However, light infantry can disperse relatively quickly which makes effective targeting by air assets more challenging.  If the infantry stays bunched together to make them easy pickings for air assets, then that's their problem :p

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It probably helps when you have infantry moving with your armor and aren't just sending a column of vehicles up the road unsupported.

• True 3

14 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yes, those are the counters to dismounted/light infantry (as well as armor!)

However, light infantry can disperse relatively quickly which makes effective targeting by air assets more challenging.  If the infantry stays bunched together to make them easy pickings for air assets, then that's their problem :p

Hence why the Army might ditch 5.56 weapons for these.

spacer.png

with this computer assisted optic.

spacer.png

• Shocked 1