Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

1 minute ago, Chollowa said:

What are the odds that between the losses and the fact that all of Europe seems to be piling on this causes Putin to lash out and do something  reckless? Whether that be trying to trigger a larger war, or using larger bombs that kill more civilians. 

There's a really fascinating amateur written novel about a theoretical war between the Warsaw pact and NATO that takes place in the late 80s or early 90s.  When the Soviets start to lose control of the fight, and some of the pact countries start to defect, the Soviets launch nukes at (but don't directly hit) these country capitals in order to scare them into submission. I'll see if I can find it.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

So is the general consensus that the Russians are doing very badly, worse than expected?

I think 48 hours ago the general feeling was "this might be going slightly better for Ukraine than expected", and now the general feeling is, "No, seriously, wtf is Russia doing"

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, silentbob said:

In some ways, do you think Putin’s failure is an excuse for him to play with his bigger guns on actually people? Like, how close do you guys think he is too going with nukes?

Not close at all.

The heightened risk now is the use of thermobaric weapons in population centers.

USS_McNulty_%28DDE-581%29_sunk_as_target
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

• Like 1