Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (13 June 2024) - US and Ukraine sign bilateral security agreement for long-term supply and cooperation

2 minutes ago, outsida said:

CNN is saying the Plane shot down over Kyiv was a Ukrainian warplane shot down by a Russian surface to air missile. 

I don't think this is unlikely. I would put better odds on it being a Russian plane shot down by a Ukrainian SAM simply because I don't think any Russian equipment is in range of Kyiv yet. I'll need to see some wreckage though.

1 minute ago, outsida said:

CNN is saying the Plane shot down over Kyiv was a Ukrainian warplane shot down by a Russian surface to air missile. 

That would make more sense now that I've given it some thought - why would a lone Russian fighter/bomber be flying over Kyiv?

Also, I don't rule out the possibility that it's a friendly fire incident and that the SAM was Ukrainian.

I imagine someone covered this like 15 pages ago, but what the hell is Putin's endgame here?

I mean the man must surely know that in the long term the cost of trying to hold onto Ukraine against Western resistance will enfeeble Russia economically and probably politically...Right?

Is this just supposed to be a prelude to annexing more of Ukraine? Like 'campaign' there for a bit, blow up some military infrastructure, then annex the parts of it that are supposedly 'declaring independence' before withdrawing troops from a wider occupation? Or has he really gone off the deep end into "WE SHALL REBUILD THE RUSSIAN EMPIRE!' territory?

I'm more up on my Chinese geopolitics than my post-Soviet Russia geopolitics these days, so I really can't get a read on what Mr. KGB is thinking this will all accomplish.  Can someone enlighten me? Or at least tell me what page Cayce and SFLU already explained it on?

2 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

I imagine someone covered this like 15 pages ago, but what the hell is Putin's endgame here?

I mean the man must surely know that in the long term the cost of trying to hold onto Ukraine against Western resistance will enfeeble Russia economically and probably politically...Right?

Is this just supposed to be a prelude to annexing more of Ukraine? Like 'campaign' there for a bit, blow up some military infrastructure, then annex the parts of it that are supposedly 'declaring independence' before withdrawing troops from a wider occupation? Or has he really gone off the deep end into "WE SHALL REBUILD THE RUSSIAN EMPIRE!' territory?

I'm more up on my Chinese geopolitics than my post-Soviet Russia geopolitics these days, so I really can't get a read on what Mr. KGB is thinking this will all accomplish.  Can someone enlighten me? Or at least tell me what page Cayce and SFLU already explained it on?

I dunno how to find it now, but someone who seemed to know what they were talking about was making the case in a Twitter thread that since COVID he's become significantly more isolated and is only listening to a very few people.

4 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I dunno how to find it now, but someone who seemed to know what they were talking about was making the case in a Twitter thread that since COVID he's become significantly more isolated and is only listening to a very few people.

Yeah he's deathly afraid of Covid 

220207162729-02-macron-moscow-020722.jpg
WWW.CNN.COM

There's socially distanced, and then there's French President Emmanuel Macron sitting on the opposite end of an enormous table during talks with his Russian counterpart Vladimir...

example

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yes - this GENUINELY appears to be at the root of it all.

7 minutes ago, CayceG said:

In the words of President Merkin Muffley in Doctor Strangelove, Putin "went a little funny in the head. You know. Just a little funny. And he... went and did a silly thing."

5 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Yikes.  If that's the case, I find it very weird to find myself pining for the old 'Putin qua evil genius' over our current 'Putin qua demented foolhardy revanchist'.  At least the evil genius has a rational endgame in mind.

10 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

The tweet attributed that to Macron.

20211002_EUP003_0.jpg
WWW.ECONOMIST.COM

The Russian president doesn’t seem to trust his own vaccine

7dfc324f-9303-4708-8b59-761f75eece33_w12
WWW.VOANEWS.COM

Russia's leader, Vladimir Putin, is taking far more stringent precautions than most of his counterparts around the world to prevent the coronavirus

106834786-1612373047838-gettyimages-1203
WWW.CNBC.COM

Russian President Vladimir Putin said Wednesday that he may not attend the COP26 in Glasgow in November, over concerns about the coronavirus.

36 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

He’s trying to rank up on the Soviet Ruler Leaderboards.

• True 1

Just now, Joe said:

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F
WWW.THETIMES.CO.UK

Brazil’s populist leader has met President Putin in Moscow after apparently submitting to demands that he take multiple coronavirus tests

Yeah I was definitely wrong there lol.

If there’s one person you want to test five times it is bolsonaro

• True 2
  • Sicko 1