Do you come from any Irish descent?

Fizzzzle

Now that we're at White Pride St. Patrick's Day (I'm mostly kidding, don't get your panties in a bunch), I'm curious to know how many celebrate their 'good ol Oirish' ancestry. I feel like most white Americans have at least some, unless your parents or grandparents were all immigrants.

I have one Irish ancestor that I know of. He came over in 1750 or so. He's like my 6th great grandfather or something, which would make me 1.5625% Irish, if I'm doing my math correctly.

Could be higher, my dad never knew who his father was, but judging by my dad's skin color I'm guessing he wasn't Irish.

At any rate, I do think Americans claiming to be "Irish" or "Italian" or "French" or whatever is dumb. You're a white American, deal with it. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get drunk on St. Patrick's Day.

8 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Nope not according to my 23andme test (and before someone says it’s an estimate, I have my parents on it too so my estimates got updated to the accurate measurements through dna “phasing”).

I wonder how accurate that can really be, considering the amount of intermingling and emigration between Britain and Ireland over the last millennium. I know on my 23andme I have like 25% or something that just says "broadly northwestern European."

Yeah, that would be my fathers side and the second biggest percentage of myself after German (the country, not the journalist). I will be getting corn beef/potatoes/cabbage tomorrow and I’m kinda excited though I need to check my horseradish supply.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah, that would be my fathers side and the second biggest percentage of myself after German (the country, not the journalist). I will be getting corn beef/potatoes/cabbage tomorrow and I’m kinda excited though I need to check my horseradish supply.

Glad you cleared that up

• Like 1

My grandfather was born in Ireland and immigrated here. He was the middle child in a farming family. The farm went to his oldest brother and he didn’t want to work for him so he left. He might have dabbled with the IRA too. 

We don’t celebrate the holiday. 

7 hours ago, Rachel said:

Lmao I’m dumb I just checked my results again. 36% “British & Irish” oops. 

It's crazy how much more specific it is now. The 25% broadly northwestern european is now 6%, the rest is narrowed down. They can even narrow it down to certain areas of some countries. "British and Irish" is still just british and Irish though lol. For me it's 66%