Task Force Calls for Permanent National Guard Force to Protect DC

• Jason changed the title to Task Force Calls for Permanent National Guard Force to Protect DC
4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm kind of surprised that wasn't already the case. I always assumed D.C. security would be insane, but I guess that was just in the movies.

Security in most places is generally terrible. The number of loading docks I was able to park an unmarked van in without anyone stopping me within a year of 9/11 constantly blew my mind. Yeah it was in Boston and not NYC but if you’re white, have a hand truck, and look like you know where you’re going, you’re functionally invisible.

22 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Security in most places is generally terrible. The number of loading docks I was able to park an unmarked van in without anyone stopping me within a year of 9/11 constantly blew my mind. Yeah it was in Boston and not NYC but if you’re white, have a hand truck, and look like you know where you’re going, you’re functionally invisible.

When I worked construction in Manhattan I was dumbfounded how easy it was to get into sensitive areas.

Just now, Uaarkson said:

When I worked construction in Manhattan I was dumbfounded how easy it was to get into sensitive areas.

A buddy of mine was part of the theater department at his college. One day they had Bill Clinton there for a speaking engagement. My buddy needed to get some of his gear there the same day that the theater was going to be used for the event and ran into Bill Clinton backstage. Nobody stopped him before or after literally bumping into the former POTUS, on his way into or out of the meeting... nothing.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

A buddy of mine was part of the theater department at his college. One day they had Bill Clinton there for a speaking engagement. My buddy needed to get some of his gear there the same day that the theater was going to be used for the event and ran into Bill Clinton backstage. Nobody stopped him before or after literally bumping into the former POTUS, on his way into or out of the meeting... nothing.

There's probably an acceptable level of security somewhere between that experience and what we do now though. There must be credible threats against, like, Merkel and Macron, yet they don't shut down half a city every time one of them wants to go fart outside.

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It’s almost as if we’ve been operating under the “illusion of security” this whole time.

5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

As someone who's been a security guard for a place it's surprising how often someone will leave a sensitive area open until the time I'm able to do a patrol and discover that a door is open.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m going to spend an afternoon in DC next week when I go get the keys to the new drive in. Glad some of this stuff is coming down as I plan to take the fam sometime in the summer.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I’m going to spend an afternoon in DC next week when I go get the keys to the new drive in. Glad some of this stuff is coming down as I plan to take the fam sometime in the summer.

where is the drive in

how much will you pay me to run it

13 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

where is the drive in

how much will you pay me to run it

Stephens City, VA. Something like an hour and half from DC the as we say in Houston “just across town” 😂

This is the inner perimeter:

4XG223UF2EI6XPSKES4J6YLPFQ.jpg&w=916

Compared to this:

CapitolFence.jpg

So still kind of lame because the grassy areas around the Capitol are used as a park by the locals, but at least now it's only minimally disrupting getting around DC (since you can't walk across the grass).

2 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

Remove the fence, create an active duty DC Guard MP battalion at Andrews, put the DC Guard under US Northern Command instead of the Army Secretary. Problem solved.

Apparently they want a retractable fence. Page 11 of the report here. That seems fine if it really does meet the stated goal of it being like there isn't a fence there when there isn't an active threat.

In securing the Capitol grounds, competing desires for maximum public access and guaranteed security create a situation where neither goal is achieved. No fence presents an insurmountable  barrier. Obstacles do not prevent penetration by themselves, but serve to slow or canalize intruders, allowing security forces to focus a response to specific sites as necessary. For full effectiveness, obstacles also require unblinking observation from human eyes, cameras, or other sensors. The current, temporary security fence surrounds such a tremendous area that it requires significant personnel resources to monitor its entire length. As the fencing comes down, we recommend it be replaced with a mobile fencing option that is easily erected and deconstructed and an integrated, retractable fencing system in the long term to secure both the Capitol Building and Congressional office buildings. Such a solution could enable an open campus while giving security forces better options to protect the complex and its Members should a threat develop.

Due to previous piecemeal or incremental modernization efforts, many facets of the Capitol’s physical security infrastructure are neither interoperable nor integrated. For instance, there are numerous cameras in the Capitol Complex, but they are not entirely integrated or linked. The Capitol Complex needs a fully integrated system of obstacles, cameras, sensors, and alarms and we recommend the USCP in collaboration with the AOC contract with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Electronic Security System Mandatory Center of Expertise to help develop and build such an integrated system.

• 2 weeks later...