Oregon trying to increase taxes on beer and wine by 2700%

Fizzzzle

Generic-Beer-Brewery-03022021.jpg?w=1280
WWW.KOIN.COM

Oregon breweries and wineries could potentially be mounted with a significant tax increase if a proposed bill in the Oregon Legislature moves forward.

This seems like an odd time to be trying to do this, as the industries it would hit hardest are ones that have already been hit hard by the pandemic. The craft beer and wine industry will be the first to feel the hit, as distributors try to narrow down their supply chain. Then distributors will get hit as restaurants start dropping them to narrow down their supply chain. Then restaurants will get hit as they start having to charge $13 for a pint of beer or $20 for a glass of wine, so no one wants to go out anymore.

ALSO, I have a problem with ear-marked tax bills. I'd be curious to see the text of the proposal. A lot of times with this kind of shit, they're like "this money will go to [good thing]!" While what they're not saying is "we're stripping the funding we otherwise have for [good thing] because this bill will cover it!"

Then, guess what happens. The bill has the desired effect, people stop drinking (in this case) and now the money for that program no longer exists. It's a common tactic to try and get bills passed that would normally be ridiculously unpopular by saying "bUt tHe MonEy woUlD gO to ThE ChiLdRen" or something. Like, bitch no, there was already money allocated to the children, you're stripping that away and using this as a distraction.

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Maybe Oregon shouldn’t legalize drug use and they wouldn’t have an addiction problem. Just saying 🤷‍♀️

There is so much wrong to unpack there that I kind of don't even know where to start. I kind of think I'd have to write an entire treatise on prohibition and the war on drugs to unpack everything about your post.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

Beers at sports events are about to be like $18 if this passes.

People will pay. I worked at a hotel and all the food and drinks were overpriced. Like a bottle of beer was 8 bucks and one of those small 300 ml bottles of Chandon champagne were like $20, ($40 for the big 750 ml bottle). People pay for the convenience.

45 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

That is ridiculous. A keg of beer from a wholesale distributor is like $130-200 depending on what it is, theoretically the cost on a keg will only increase by $35, but that doesn't account for the squeeze it puts on supply. There's about 120 pints in a keg (really more like 105 after waste, and that's if the keg isn't overcharged). You're talking about a 25% increase on a keg, which means fuck it I can't do math, you figure it out

The owner of Ecliptic brewing said he estimates the price of a six pack will go from $11-$12 to $16.

edit: I don't math good

On 3/3/2021 at 4:37 AM, Biggie said:

Maybe Oregon shouldn’t legalize drug use and they wouldn’t have an addiction problem. Just saying 🤷‍♀️

portugal-heroin-drug-addiction-10.jpg?qu
TIME.COM

In 2001, it became the first country to decriminalize the consumption of all drugs.
QL5K7WWBII473CFUDG3LXJWHLQ.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

One of legalization opponents' greatest fears has so far failed to materialize.

That really seems like a pretty sizeable increase. It would increase it from $0.08 to $2.33 per gallon on beer, where ~$0.08 seems to be in line with other states. The tax structure is sufficiently complicated that it's hard to figure out exactly how much beer is taxed overall from creation/import to consumer purchase, but it does seem like a huge increase from what I can tell.

43 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

NJ gas tax is getting fucking ridiculous. Go from the cheapest tax on gas to one of the highest.  Fuck use tax. Tax the rich if you need money. 

What happened? Did somebody close a pipeline or something. 

40 minutes ago, Biggie said:

What happened? Did somebody close a pipeline or something. 

Trolling? You don't actually believe that halting construction on a nonfunctional pipeline, from which most of the yield would be exported, has any affect on domestic supply do you? (rhetorical)

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The chances of this bill even getting out of committee are somewhere between "none" and "OLOLOLOLOLOLO".

Thankfully it's been getting a lot of publicity, so the backlash has already been huge. I've been doing my part to make sure as many people as possible know about it. Plenty of bills don't get publicity and you end up going "fucking what?" when they pass. Like, Oregon raised the smoking age from 18 to 21 in 2017. It was never on a ballot measure, I never read anything about it, they just kind of snuck it in. Now the federal smoking age is 21 anyway, so it's whatever, but the bigger issue I had with the bill (that I didn't find out about until after it already passed) is the no-strike policy with vendor offenses. For example, with selling alcohol to minors, there's basically a 3-strike rule, with increasing fines until your third strike, which makes you lose your license to sell alcohol. For tobacco, there are no strikes. Accidentally sell tobacco to a minor, it's like a $10,000 fine and you immediately lose your tobacco license forever. To me, that's insanely harsh. Accidents happen.

Sorry, I got on a tangent there. Point is, bills that should have no business passing through legislature do it all the time when no one is paying attention. And once a law is in place, it's much harder to repeal it.

47 minutes ago, Iculus said:

Trolling? You don't actually believe that halting construction on a nonfunctional pipeline, from which most of the yield would be exported, has any affect on domestic supply do you? (rhetorical)

Trolling? Who me? 
Joe Biden Yes GIF by Election 2020

37 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Gas went from $2.30 to over $3 a gallon here since late January, thanks biden.

This is one dumbass take right here, folks. 

An explanation based in reality: 

HOELKJEAUJHYVMBCRGVKZRREG4.jpg
WWW.TAMPABAY.COM

Gas prices have gone up under President Joe Biden, continuing an upward trend that began in May 2020.

9 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Yeah no not even close, biden can't even make a coherent sentence.

Every time I see or hear someone make a statement Iike this, I wonder what world they live in. 

Of course, this statement has nothing to do with the post he was responding to, so I’m guessing you’re just rambling whatever word vomit pops into your head.