Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing a Superman reboot film produced by J.J. Abrams

Chris-

He literally changed my life with between the world and me, so I'm down with whatever, and I know there's a sick irony of a profound black author who primarily writes about racial injustice writing a movie about a super hero who is the white ideal, but I can't help that my initial response is "... Okay, but why?"

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

He literally changed my life with between the world and me, so I'm down with whatever, and I know there's a sick irony of a profound black author who primarily writes about racial injustice writing a movie about a super hero who is the white ideal, but I can't help that my initial response is "... Okay, but why?"

One rumor is that this is the introduction of a 'Black Superman' storyline.

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

One rumor is that this is the introduction of a 'Black Superman' storyline.

That would make more sense to me. I can't imagine a Coates version of white Superman getting greenlit by a major studio. It would hurt too many feelies. A black superman is an easier sell.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

He's been writing Captain America for Marvel for the last couple of years so I think he could do a white Superman justice... I'm not the biggest fan of seeing a black Superman to be honest. I'd rather just see them do an Icon or Blue Marvel movie. Both of those characters are basically black supermen and race is dealt with DIRECTLY in their characters and origins.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm not the biggest fan of seeing a black Superman to be honest.

I am not black so it isnt my place to speak but I find color palate swap hero's kinda shitty. It seems half assed and I would rather see original black hero's telling thier own tales. Am I wrong on this?

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I am not black so it isnt my place to speak but I find color palate swap hero's kinda shitty. It seems half assed and I would rather see original black hero's telling thier own tales. Am I wrong on this?

Depends on the character to be honest. Some characters it doesn't really matter... some it does to me. James Bond, I don't think it would really matter. Or making The Flash asian or something like that... those wouldn't really matter. But making Steve Rogers mexican or Clark Kent Arab I think would change those characters on a fundamental level. Superman is an alien raised in the American mid-west. I don't see how you make that character black without changing some fundamental things about the character and if that's the case, just make a different character. In my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He's been writing Captain America for Marvel for the last couple of years so I think he could do a white Superman justice... I'm not the biggest fan of seeing a black Superman to be honest. I'd rather just see them do an Icon or Blue Marvel movie. Both of those characters are basically black supermen and race is dealt with DIRECTLY in their characters and origins.

I'm so in for Blue Marvel and we aren't the only ones...

37 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm so in for Blue Marvel and we aren't the only ones...

I'm facebook friends with the guy who created Blue Marvel... fun fact it's THIS guy

GREAT character and I could totally see Marvel doing something with him in the cinematic universe at some point.

18 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Depends on the character to be honest. Some characters it doesn't really matter... some it does to me. James Bond, I don't think it would really matter. Or making The Flash asian or something like that... those wouldn't really matter. But making Steve Rogers mexican or Clark Kent Arab I think would change those characters on a fundamental level. Superman is an alien raised in the American mid-west. I don't see how you make that character black without changing some fundamental things about the character and if that's the case, just make a different character. In my opinion. 

Yeah I think if we're bringing in a Black Superman, then he has to have been raised in actual Black America, not by the same white people as traditional Superman (unless his backstory deals with the racism he would have potentially experienced growing up in rural America, which could be interesting as well).

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah I think if we're bringing in a Black Superman, then he has to have been raised in actual Black America, not by the same white people as traditional Superman (unless his backstory deals with the racism he would have potentially experienced growing up in rural America, which could be interesting as well).

That would be interesting, but again I have to believe a major studio would never greenlight a movie that's basically like "but what if we made superman about racism." On the other hand, if Coates is writing it, I guess they already did that to an extent. I just think there's a gulf between Judas and the Black Messiah, a movie that is intended from the start to be about racism, or Black Panther, which has themes of black empowerment vs. "let's make superman about racism."

Again, I'll do anything with Coates' name attached. A story of superman that undermines the white ideal he was based on would be amazing to watch if done right.

Btw if anyone hasn't read between the world and me, you should. It expanded my empathy. I think I used to fall into a category of "racism isn't a problem because it's not MY problem." That book does such a good job of humanizing the black experience to the point you have to feel it unless you're a sociopath. And it's really short. You can read it in a day.

24 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

That would be interesting, but again I have to believe a major studio would never greenlight a movie that's basically like "but what if we made superman about racism." On the other hand, if Coates is writing it, I guess they already did that to an extent. I just think there's a gulf between Judas and the Black Messiah, a movie that is intended from the start to be about racism, or Black Panther, which has themes of black empowerment vs. "let's make superman about racism."

Again, I'll do anything with Coates' name attached. A story of superman that undermines the white ideal he was based on would be amazing to watch if done right.

If Coates is writing it, it will definitely deal with some racial undertones but I don't think that's what it would be about. Like I said he's been writing Captain America for the last couple of years and race as not been at the forefront of his Cap stories. I'm pretty sure his work on Cap is probably what got him THIS gig.

Everyone's favorite director Zack Snyder weighs in:

Henry-Cavill-Superman.jpg.jpg
SCREENRANT.COM

Snyder calls Cavill "ours" after reboot report.

I'm totally down for a reboot with a black Superman, but I do think Henry Cavill's Superman was never given enough of a chance. Obviously Snyder should have made Man of Steel 2 over Batman v Superman, I think.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

SCREENRANT.COM

I'm totally down for a reboot with a black Superman, but I do think Henry Cavill's Superman was never given enough of a chance. Obviously Snyder should have made Man of Steel 2 over Batman v Superman, I think.

Yeah I feel bad for Cavill because everyone was down on him, but I have to wonder if it was the script not doing him any favours. He seems very charming in interviews, so with a better script that has Superman being brighter, more upbeat rather than down and dour maybe he could pull off a more inspiring Superman. 

Just now, Brick said:

Yeah I feel bad for Cavill because everyone was down on him, but I have to wonder if it was the script not doing him any favours. He seems very charming in interviews, so with a better script that has Superman being brighter, more upbeat rather than down and dour maybe he could pull off a more inspiring Superman. 

It was definitely the script... he's a pretty good actor and much better than the DC movies showed him to be. The ONE THING I thought Wheadon's JL movie got right was Cavill's Superman.

4 minutes ago, Brick said:

Unlike most I'm totally down for a re-interpretation of Superman where he is down and dour and it's why I enjoy Man of Steel and the coolest parts of Batman v Superman to me are dealing with a being that has attained godhood amongst mortals and Cavill played it well! But Batman v Superman just wasn't a good movie, and there wasn't enough Clark Kent to balance it out. JL did Superman better, but that's probably because of Whedon. :p 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It was definitely the script... he's a pretty good actor and much better than the DC movies showed him to be. The ONE THING I thought Wheadon's JL movie got right was Cavill's Superman.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Unlike most I'm totally down for a re-interpretation of Superman where he is down and dour and it's why I enjoy Man of Steel and the coolest parts of Batman v Superman to me are dealing with a being that has attained godhood amongst mortals and Cavill played it well! But Batman v Superman just wasn't a good movie, and there wasn't enough Clark Kent to balance it out. JL did Superman better, but that's probably because of Whedon. :p 

A common thing I have heard. 

On 2/27/2021 at 4:02 PM, Greatoneshere said:

SCREENRANT.COM

Cavill got three chances (four, if we’re counting the Snyder cut as a separate  thing), it’s not on him that the material was lousy-to-terrible. :p

Coates is a strong writer so I’m in on that. Abrams has an eye for drama that would probably work well if the material he’s given is solid. Black Superman, traditional Superman, I’d be interested in hearing more. 

Also LAWD SPARE US from Man of Steel 2. Superman was world weary before becoming Superman in Man of Steel, I cannot imagine how fucking intolerable he’d be as a character after coming back from the dead. 

On 2/27/2021 at 5:44 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

They seriously wanted Jack Black to play Green Lantern at one point.

Hard to to imagine it being worse than Ryan Reynolds or any version of Hal Jordan. :p 

• Thanks 1

I don't know shit about comic books. I've never read them and never really cared to, so movies retaining fidelity to the comics has never been something I care about. That being said, there have been some things I have thought about the DCU that have barked up the right tree, as it were. I thought Batman vs. Superman could have had a very interesting plot of introducing Batman as a jaded, older Batman that doesn't hold to his old principles. He kills people now. He's lost his faith. Superman, who he initially does not trust as an alien, is the one who brings his humanity back. They kind of pay lip service to something close to that in the movie, but I think going full-on as introducing Batman as essentially a bad guy would have worked.

My point being, I don't think it matters what actor plays a character. If you can make it work thematically, go for it. Have Jack Black play Green Lantern if it serves the story you're trying to tell. Just commit.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

If JJ did direct, what do we think his stupid twist/moment would be? That Superman was actually Lex Luther's kid all along? That Krypton is just Earth seven million years in the future?

I mean... the story that did that did it well :p 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Unless I completely misread this, JJ isn’t directing. It’s a Bad Robot production though.

Oh, my bad. I just heard JJ was attached to direct.

Im fine with whatever they do, but I would much rather see Cavill get a shot at it with a different director, and have them do a black hero with a black director and team. That said, i have no problem with a black Superman.