Pokémon OT - Gotta Catch 'Em All

Pikachu

1 hour ago, stepee said:

It is weird that the game actually does run at 720p/30 pretty locked undocked. They really took the fps complaints in S/S wild land areas too far. Should have increased lod and texture resolution and made it 600p or something. 

The thing that gets me most is still the weird stuff that they could have probably just..not done. Like whatever the purple shiny shadow thing on terrain is. That is probably the worst looking thing in the game and it could just..not be there. Same with whatever they are doing with the tree shading that is totally not working. It’s a super strange looking game.

The lack of polish is weird to me because they didn't need to release this game so early in the year, and so soon after the Diamond and Pearl remakes. I wonder why they did. They could have given this game another 6 months. Makes me wonder if I should wait for possible performance improving patches before getting the game. 

4 minutes ago, Brick said:

The lack of polish is weird to me because they didn't need to release this game so early in the year, and so soon after the Diamond and Pearl remakes. I wonder why they did. They could have given this game another 6 months. Makes me wonder if I should wait for possible performance improving patches before getting the game. 

Any improvements will likely come with the gen 9 release, I really wouldn’t count on it. And there isn’t an actual issue with performance itself so it plays fine and it’s still a solid 9/10 game!

• True 1

12 hours ago, stepee said:

Any improvements will likely come with the gen 9 release, I really wouldn’t count on it. And there isn’t an actual issue with performance itself so it plays fine and it’s still a solid 9/10 game!

Why do you say improvements wouldn't come until generation 9? I'm not talking about any major content updates like something akin to Iceborne for Monster Hunter World, I'm talking purely performance based improvements, like framerate, textures, maybe loading in assets better as you get closer so they don't just pop in out of nowhere, although in terms of content updates I could see small stuff like events, couple handfuls of new Pokémon, stuff like that. 

16 hours ago, Brick said:

Why would they give it another 6 months? This is classic Game Freak polish. There's nothing to improve according to them. They nailed everything first try and will only patch the game if you can somehow figure out how to backup your save file or something.

16 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Why would they give it another 6 months? This is classic Game Freak polish. There's nothing to improve according to them. They nailed everything first try and will only patch the game if you can somehow figure out how to backup your save file or something.

This right here. I hate how much I enjoy the Pokemon games because Game Freak is wildly cheap. They own a third of Pokemon, the most valuable multimedia franchise in the history of forever, and can't even be bothered to call up Monolithsoft whose offices are within walking distance. Even Nintendo EPD called them up for Breath of the Wild. Game Freak doesn't even handle the Pokemon, themselves. They outsource all of that to Creatures.

There was an update to the game today. No idea what it does, though. Also? Saw this today:

FLLIDKLUUAEKljl?format=jpg&name=small

I always knew Gyrados was a half Flying-Type, but I don't think I've ever seen one actually fly like this before. Other than, y'know. Awkwardly hovering above the ground in something like Pokémon Stadium or whatever. 

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

This is the frustrating thing. This is why I say Nintendo just needs to outright buy them, Creatures, and The Pokémon Company. Give me a Pokémon game with an actual budget, polish, and huge enhancements, goddammit!

1 hour ago, Brick said:

This is the frustrating thing. This is why I say Nintendo just needs to outright buy them, Creatures, and The Pokémon Company. Give me a Pokémon game with an actual budget, polish, and huge enhancements, goddammit!

There is 0% chance Game Freak would even entertain a sale. The developer is privately held and owns a third of Pokemon. Why would they ever want to take themselves out of that business? Same goes for Creatures, even if I think they do a much better job with the card game than Game Freak does with their games.

I started a new game of sword to try to get me to resist buying this. My primary annoyances with sword (and really any Pokémon game):

1. too easy / battles feel just kind of lifeless

2. You send out the same damn Pokémon every time to start, unless you take the time to rearrange between battles

3. Battles themselves are too slow 

4. feels like (and is) designed for children (that one is on me lol) 

So anyway I bought arceus. So glad I did. It certainly has flaws, but man the stuff it does do different is SO refreshing. Just being able to scroll through to a different Pokémon to throw out is like a total game changer for me. 

I feel like there’s a lot of potential like, hey in the sequel maybe you can command multiple Pokémon at once as you level up or something (I guess maybe this does that but I am quite early). It also really made me think, and I am sure this is not a new idea, that there’s some real potential for an MMO style game in this universe. 

Anyway, first game in a while I just felt like impulse buying and I’m glad I did. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I started a new game of sword to try to get me to resist buying this. My primary annoyances with sword (and really any Pokémon game):

1. too easy / battles feel just kind of lifeless

2. You send out the same damn Pokémon every time to start, unless you take the time to rearrange between battles

3. Battles themselves are too slow 

4. feels like (and is) designed for children (that one is on me lol) 

So anyway I bought arceus. So glad I did. It certainly has flaws, but man the stuff it does do different is SO refreshing. Just being able to scroll through to a different Pokémon to throw out is like a total game changer for me. 

I feel like there’s a lot of potential like, hey in the sequel maybe you can command multiple Pokémon at once as you level up or something (I guess maybe this does that but I am quite early). It also really made me think, and I am sure this is not a new idea, that there’s some real potential for an MMO style game in this universe. 

Anyway, first game in a while I just felt like impulse buying and I’m glad I did. 

Arceus is so damn good. I’m shocked that they went away from the Pokémon formula. But more shocked that the new formula is so fun. I pray this is the new Pokémon going forward with every new installment. 

• True 1

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Maybe the success of Arceus will get them down the path of innovation rather than remaking an old Pokemon game every other year.

2 hours ago, johnny said:

they're gonna do both for that $$$$

Yeah, it's not an either/or thing. Do both! I'm a consumer whore, I'll buy them all...! :D 

14 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Yeah, it's not an either/or thing. Do both! I'm a consumer whore, I'll buy them all...! :D 

I would really rather they didn't. They need to spend more time focusing on and completing development AND polishing each of their releases. Otherwise we got incomplete Pokedexes, shitty animations, lack of voice acting, terrible performance with bad visuals, some games getting great music while others get meh music. And if they are outsourcing some of these games to other studios and haven't been splitting development time, that's even worse, because then they just have no excuse at all.

40 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I would really rather they didn't. They need to spend more time focusing on and completing development AND polishing each of their releases. Otherwise we got incomplete Pokedexes, shitty animations, lack of voice acting, terrible performance with bad visuals, some games getting great music while others get meh music. And if they are outsourcing some of these games to other studios and haven't been splitting development time, that's even worse, because then they just have no excuse at all.

Well, the Pearl/Diamond remakes were the first mainline series that was outsourced, and then we got Gamefreak doing this instead of possibly doing that themselves. So maybe having both types and Gamefreak concentrating on the new while the BDSP team gets contracted for the traditional is the way foward after all! 

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

we didnt get an incomplete pokedex 

9 minutes ago, johnny said:

they’re not putting like 1000 pokemon in every game lol. i don’t think they really need to either. 

Carrying forward all (or whichever) of your Pokemon from previous games has been a core feature for decades, broken only by Sword and Shield.

They have no reason not to add them. They reuse all the same models and animations anyway, which combined with the stats basically makes them all gussied up jpegs or I guess a .stl or whatever extension it is for their models, you get the joke. Anyway Pokemon are basically NFTs and it's nowhere near "hard work" to just include all the existing models and animations. I'm not asking for them to be distributed in the mainline game, as that hasn't been the case for years now and would be silly, but the fact that you can't transfer all your previous Pokemon kills a huge appeal of the games, at least with how they're currently designed.

As a bonus it also neuters competitive play, for those who care about that.

1 minute ago, Raggit said:

Honestly, while the idea of having 1000 Pokémon in a game sounds cool to me on paper, I think if I actually played a game with that many Pokémon I'd be overwhelmed. I doubt many others share that same sentiment, though.

They never have all 1,000 catchable in the game, the full Pokedex is just the ability to transfer all Pokemon from previous generations into the current game. It gives the Pokemon you catch a sense of continuity and helps you grow attached to your favorites, as well as helps with not throwing all your work away from previous games. Especially important for things like shiny Pokemon which some people have legit never seen even once.

13 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

In what? We sure as shit don't have one in Arceus, or Sword/Shield.

Yeah it was a little weird that not all Pokémon were transferrable to Sword/Shield. To be fair, Game Freak has added more that are transferrable and/or catchable with updates and the DLC. Not sure if more are coming, but it is possible. I think right now only 20% of the total number of monsters out there are not in the games. Which is still a little over 200 creatures, but there are clearly more in there now then there ever was before. But yeah, I share your desire to just have them all in the game. 

I'll admit, I didn't realize you were this passionate about Pokémon

Also...I wouldn't expect all Pokémon to be in Legends: Arceus though. It's important to remember it's just a spin-off game. It's not like all Pokémon were in games like Pokémon Ranger or Pokémon Conquest or any of the Mystery Dungeon games, for example. 

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but perhaps the best thing to have done to avoid getting the roster too crowded to the point where certain Pokémon would be cut, is each generation only has new Pokémon, and no old ones (aside from Pikachu since that's the mascot). Maybe even every other generating so Gold and Silver could have still had the excellent Kanto endgame, and the evolutions and pre-evolutions to some favourites from the first generation, and then Ruby and Sapphire would have started fresh. Would suck though because there have been some really cool evolutions to older Pokémon. 

Unless you are doing competitive battles, your pokemon in one game are going to be so high leveled you won't even use them in another game unless you are messing around a lot in post game. 

And even if you are doing competitive, the balancing changes from game to game so there's no guarantee that pokemon will even be effective anymore. 

Also, try different pokemon and live a little.

Sword/Shield should have had some more pokemon available from the start but having all 1,000 in every game seems excessive to me. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Yeah each new generation I always use a party consisting of only new Pokémon because why would I want to use old ones? 

Well for that matter, when you first start out, you can’t use your built up Pokémon at the start anyway. You gotta earn your 8th badge before anything over Level 70 will take your commands.

FMpGUdAUcAI9GAf?format=jpg&name=large

FMpGUc3VQAMeNfY?format=jpg&name=large

FMpGUc6UcAEck4v?format=jpg&name=large

I've been putting a little more time into this over the past weekend. And now I've got a bit of a deadline to finish this quickly, what with Scarlet/Violet coming out later this year. It's fun, and it's always difficult for me to put it down once I've been playing for a while. A truly "first world" problem to have. 

• Pikachu changed the title to Pokémon OT - Gotta Catch 'Em All
6 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Is the "Lost and Found" feature new? I got a notification for it, and I really like the idea. 

Anyone use this yet?

That’s where others can recover your lost satchel and vise versa right? I think it just appears at some point in the game, it’s been there.

42 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Just made it here. The graphics are of course nothing to be "wow'd" by, but that sky with the clouds is pretty sweet. IMO.

FNRgTWrUYAMcUq8?format=jpg&name=large

The skybox is great in the game! It’s the one nice looking thing (besides the mons of course) since the iq of the game is actually decent and the art style of the game is actually good just usually crushed by lackluster tech.