Talk me out of buying a 3070

shit i love u sflufan. This is money i do have to spend. I'm just contemplating 850 on a gpu. That is a lot for a mid-range card! There are many games that i can't enjoy because of my 1060 though. I am a full-blown graphics whore too. I could save this money and wwhhaaiitt for a decent price on a gpu, but that might take forever. If i don't, I will spend the money on tattoos.

I know it sounds crazy, but $850 seems like the best bang for buck for what I'll get looking into the future as I understand this fucking drought is not gonna lighten up anytime soon, and i hope this may be an investment, meaning the card still has good resell value in the future before new cards, or GPUs are available for msrp

11 hours ago, MeatAndPotatoes said:

shit i love u sflufan. This is money i do have to spend. I'm just contemplating 850 on a gpu. That is a lot for a mid-range card! There are many games that i can't enjoy because of my 1060 though. I am a full-blown graphics whore too. I could save this money and wwhhaaiitt for a decent price on a gpu, but that might take forever. If i don't, I will spend the money on tattoos.

I know it sounds crazy, but $850 seems like the best bang for buck for what I'll get looking into the future as I understand this fucking drought is not gonna lighten up anytime soon, and i hope this may be an investment, meaning the card still has good resell value in the future before new cards, or GPUs are available for msrp

It's more like the bottom of the high end, mid-range would be a 3060.

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I got my 3080 FTW3 for $890 shipped and after tax. $850 for a 3070 isn't a great price, fam. MSRP is $500-600 typically.

EDIT: Wait, is this CAD? I can never remember who lives where :p 

I live in the US, but when and how did you get a 3080 for 890 you lucky bastad?

btw; i woke up this morning and just couldn't justify spending 850 on a gpu as much as i want it. I think i would have bitten for 750. I'm gonna try my hardest to atleast get on the evga cue on the 25th to get a 3060 for msrp. Maybe then I'll atleast know I will get my upgrade within a few months hopefully.

7 hours ago, MeatAndPotatoes said:

I live in the US, but when and how did you get a 3080 for 890 you lucky bastad?

btw; i woke up this morning and just couldn't justify spending 850 on a gpu as much as i want it. I think i would have bitten for 750. I'm gonna try my hardest to atleast get on the evga cue on the 25th to get a 3060 for msrp. Maybe then I'll atleast know I will get my upgrade within a few months hopefully.

I signed up for EVGAs notification and they emailed me when it was my “turn” in their queue. At $850 you’d be paying 35-40% over MSRP pending model + tax/shipping. You could get a 3080 for that price.

Stockdrops.net seems to give people the most luck at scoring one for msrp. Also, on r/hardwareswap a ton of people sell them, almost never for msrp, but often not too egregious (15-20% over what they paid).

• Thanks 1

I'll pay $150 over msrp for a 3080/70. The more i read about this gpu catastrophe, the more i realize it's not going to end anytime soon. I'm on cue for all the evga 3060TIs, 3070s, and 3080s. There's people who've been on them cue's for way way longer than me who haven't got shit. And with the scalpers all over the internet, it's impossible to get one. I have no microcenter or bestbuy near me.

I personally had zero luck with stockdrops.net, even signed up for their telegram channel to get more immediate notifications and would hop on them as soon as I the alert was sent. A lot of it comes down to luck. R/hardwareswap on Reddit is probably the best bet for paying a non-insane amount over MSRP (many sell for like $50-150 over what they paid after tax + shipping, just so they can buy dinner as a reward for getting you a GPU :p ).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

AMD cards make more sense for your setup right now.  AMD outperforms Nvidia at 1080p resolution, when comparing cards of similar (MSRP) pricing.  Also AMD cards perform better on slower processors because of less driver overhead.  Nvidia's drivers are highly multithreaded and basically tax a 4 core CPU so badly that much cheaper AMD cards end up performing better.

I actually managed to get to a point where I got a 3070 in my cart from Best Buy. Then it said I needed to change my password. Then I needed a verification code for my credit card. Then I needed another verification code from Best Buy. That one didn't work. I tried it 3 more times, no dice. I gave up. How am I supposed to keep up with bots when I need 48 different codes to fucking check out and half of them don't even work.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I actually managed to get to a point where I got a 3070 in my cart from Best Buy. Then it said I needed to change my password. Then I needed a verification code for my credit card. Then I needed another verification code from Best Buy. That one didn't work. I tried it 3 more times, no dice. I gave up. How am I supposed to keep up with bots when I need 48 different codes to fucking check out and half of them don't even work.

I believe once you make it to the point of getting it in your cart it no longer becomes a race. At least thats how they were doing for consoles. I got my PS5 in cart and it took me a 1/2 dozen attempts to check out, just food for thought.

50 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I believe once you make it to the point of getting it in your cart it no longer becomes a race. At least thats how they were doing for consoles. I got my PS5 in cart and it took me a 1/2 dozen attempts to check out, just food for thought.

That's what I thought, but when their code wasn't working I wasn't sure. I went back a few minutes later, and even though the card was still in my cart, it said "we're sorry, this item is no longer in stock."

Where is the best place to order a 3070 or 3080 in Canada? I've decided fuck it, I'm getting one of them but I have no idea which storefront I should be keeping my eye on. I'm leaning towards a 3070, but I'll get a 3080 if it's available first (at normal price).

On 6/10/2021 at 4:07 PM, SimpleG said:

That's not how it worked for me when I had a series X in my cart at Target. I checked out and it was already sold.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...