What Are You Reading or Listening To?

Finally finished up Holly. What an ending. Great story, if only King wasn't suffering from TDS so badly. Seriously these last several years it's gotten insane. I recall when I enjoyed his tweets. But all his fun pics of his dog Molly have been replaced rants about Trump. The uncontrolled anger can't be healthy, and how much time is the man spending thinking about the man? It's annoying but not so much that I don't already have his next book ordered.  

Currently reading And There was Light: Abraham Lincoln and the American Struggle by Jon Meacham for nonfiction.

I read The Killing Hills by Chris Offutt over a couple days and my next fiction is The Raven and the Nine by Peter Gibbons. Also still working on Trinity by Leon Uris.

And yeah, I'm excited for King's SS collection this year, @EternallDarkness.

Finished up Kill Creek last night. It could have been good, but damn the author does not know how to write female characters. Cringe. Also, I hate when authors dump on fat people. Like, okay, we get it. This character is fat. You don't have to keep reminding us every other page.

Started another Irish HF, but this is set in the 90s and is a sapphic coming of age story. Sunburn by Chloe Michelle Howarth.

• Like 1

Finished White Noise by Don DeLillo today. Pretty good! I can always enjoy a good postmodern take on capitalism, and the skewering of academia (and the type of men it cultivates) was entertaining. The existentialism/Dylar stuff didn’t land for me quite as much, though the way it ended was pretty funny given how it was set up. 

13 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Book five of the Stillhouse Lake series, Heartbreak Bay started. And I’m finally continuing the the Dark Tower series with Drawing of the Three. I hope it gets better after the first book, that was a drag. 

Drawing of the Three is one of my favorite books 

On 2/6/2024 at 12:31 PM, EternallDarkness said:

Drawing of the Three is one of my favorite books 

I’m still early, but I do like this one better so far. I just felt my eyes glazing over a lot when reading The Gunslinger. 

I hear so much greatness about TDT series, so I really wanted to give it an honest go. Since he’s my favorite author and all. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I’m still early, but I do like this one better so far. I just felt my eyes glazing over a lot when reading The Gunslinger. 

I hear so much greatness about TDT series, so I really wanted to give it an honest go. Since he’s my favorite author and all. 

It's a pretty dang big jump from when time King wrote Gunslinger until he wrote Drawing, you can really see how he grew as an author during that time, it's also a more complete story in itself, whereas Gunslinger feels like there is a ton missing/unknown. I still love Gunslinger but it's definitely the weakest of the 8 books. 

17 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

It's a pretty dang big jump from when time King wrote Gunslinger until he wrote Drawing, you can really see how he grew as an author during that time, it's also a more complete story in itself, whereas Gunslinger feels like there is a ton missing/unknown. I still love Gunslinger but it's definitely the weakest of the 8 books. 

Yeah, that’s why I decided to move forward. So many years between the two. Wasn’t Gunslinger one of the first books he actually wrote?

On 2/5/2024 at 9:29 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Book five of the Stillhouse Lake series, Heartbreak Bay started. And I’m finally continuing the the Dark Tower series with Drawing of the Three. I hope it gets better after the first book, that was a drag. 

Here's another vote of confidence in your enjoyment of The Dark Tower series, now that you're through the worst one. :p Wizard and Glass (#4, IIRC)  was one of my favorite books for a long time. I only say "was one of my favorite" because it's been a very long time (15+ years) since I've read it, at this point, but I remember it had a great and very moving story. Enjoy the journey ahead! :sun:

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 4:20 AM, Nokra said:

Here's another vote of confidence in your enjoyment of The Dark Tower series, now that you're through the worst one. :p Wizard and Glass (#4, IIRC)  was one of my favorite books for a long time. I only say "was one of my favorite" because it's been a very long time (15+ years) since I've read it, at this point, but I remember it had a great and very moving story. Enjoy the journey ahead! :sun:

A part of me wants to reread the Dark Tower books as they’re fantastic, but there’s so much new, it can be hard to read old.

• True 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't updated in a while,  but I've been reading. Finished Drawing of the Three the other day and it was really good. I'm definitely going to be continuing the series.

I also read When You Least Expect it by Hayley Cass, The Women by Kristin Hannah, and I'm currently reading The House is on Fire by Rachel Beanland and Dyatlov Pass by Alan Barker. Should be done with both of those soon.

I think I'm about to start Prequel: An American Fight Against Fascism by Rachel Maddow for my nonfiction. Never read one of her books, but I used to like her commentary, though I really don't watch any news channels anymore.

I've really been out socializing with my friends a lot lately, not home reading as much. I hung out with three different friends in the span of a week, which might be a record for me in recent years, lol.

• Halal 1

I was at my in-laws so I ripped through Grendel by John Gardner. The philosophical nature of it blended well with the wine I was drinking all weekend. 

The Shootist by Glendon Swarthout is up there with my favorite westerns. I think the best westerns are the ones that attempt to reckon with the violence of American history. From the brutal, visceral descriptions of what a bullet does to a body, to the way our culture celebrates violence, this is a great one.