A funny thing happened at my "Friendsgiving" gathering on Thursday

Commissar SFLUFAN

Inuk's mom (who is an ex-girlfriend of mine) invited me to a small "Friendsgiving" gathering on Thursday evening.  Because she assured me that it was going to be a very small gathering which meant lots of room for social distancing, I decided to go because I really had nothing else better going on.

The gathering was indeed very small and consisted of six participants

- me

- Inuk's mom

- Inuk's mom's new boyfriend

- a female friend of Inuk's mom

- another female friend of Inuk's mom

- Inuk

As I was chatting with Inuk's mom's new boyfriend (who is a really nice guy and for some reason decided to wear a kilt despite the fact that he's not Scottish), our conversation naturally turned to what we did for a living.  As it turns out, Inuk's mom's new boyfriend works in AI research for Google.  At this point I said, "Hey that's pretty cool!  I actually operate a video game message board and one of our regular posters also works in AI research!"  Of course, as we all know I'm referring to @legend

Inuk's mom's new boyfriend then asked me the name of this person to which I respond with what I could remember of @legend's name.  At this point he started to laugh and said "Of course I know him!  In fact, I sent him an email for his birthday last week!"  I immediately shot a PM to @legend just to confirm this connection and he confirmed it as well!  Small world, eh?

So that's my Friendsgiving story: Inuk's mom's new boyfriend and @legend know each other!

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Chris- said:

How’s that whole ‘Inuk isn’t technically your dog but basically is you dog’ dynamic going?

She pretty much acknowledges that Inuk is essentially my dog though if I'm going to do something significant with him (for example, he and I are driving to Florida for Christmas), I inform her out of courtesy.

9 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

LEGEND IS A FLESH AND BLOOD PERSON?

That's what he wants us to think! He obviously has already replaced our leader with a machine. He's coming for us all and you know why? He's upset that he can't enjoy eating waffles with strawberries and whipped cream which are delicious because machines can't eat and we can. We will have to stop @legends diabolical scheme! :s

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If that was Samantha's plan, it didn't work out too well :p

I was much more interested in learning about Marc's AI work than engaging in small talk with them!

You should have invited me, I could have been your COVID wingman. I'd take the ladies off your hands so you could have a nice intimate robot conversation with Marcus.

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What REALLY turned me off from wanting to engage with one of them was when she mentioned that she once moved to Hawaii to experience what it was like to live "paycheck to paycheck".  Of course, she grew up in Kensington, one of the wealthiest of the DC suburbs.

You don't gotta go very far to do that. It's like the opposite of you don't gotta be rich to do nothing. 

office space no GIF

19 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What REALLY turned me off from wanting to engage with one of them was when she mentioned that she once moved to Hawaii to experience what it was like to live "paycheck to paycheck".  Of course, she grew up in Kensington, one of the wealthiest of the DC suburbs.

If it's anything like my friend, you work 3 months out of the year and mooch off your dad's food stamps.

That would be quite a shock for her I'd say. :p

47 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What about the other one?