One month later, CNN+ is shutting down. Some programming may be merged with another service.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/21/media/cnn-shutting-down/index.html

The decision was made by new management after CNN's former parent company, WarnerMedia, merged with Discovery to form Warner Bros. Discovery.

David Zaslav, the chief executive of Warner Bros. Discovery, has said that he wants to house all of the company's brands under one streaming service. Some CNN+ programming may eventually live on through that service.

Hundreds of CNN+ staffers were notified of the decision in a meeting on Thursday afternoon.

Earlier in the day, incoming CNN CEO Chris Licht held a meeting with Andrew Morse, the executive vice president overseeing CNN+, and his top lieutenants, a person familiar with the matter said.

I think they had like a thousand downloads on the first day or something... 

44 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Fox has a paid streaming service so maybe they thought they could ape that? I worked on some of the marketing for one of the Shows for CNN plus last year and the show itself seemed fine, but it was nothing I would extra for. CNN does plenty of good original content, most of it is already on their channel. No idea who they thought was gonna pay for CNN+.

Also this Discovery Merger has everyone in the Warner Bros. family TERRIFIED. I'm dealing with one of their companies now and they are SHOOK. A lot of folks don't know if they're gonna have jobs by the end of summer. 

Good news for consumers though because he's looking to merge all of their streaming services into one, similar to what Paramount Plus does with most of their content.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I think they had like a thousand downloads on the first day or something... 

Fox has a paid streaming service so maybe they thought they could ape that? I worked on some of the marketing for one of the Shows for CNN plus last year and the show itself seemed fine, but it was nothing I would extra for. CNN does plenty of good original content, most of it is already on their channel. No idea who they thought was gonna pay for CNN+.

Yeah. I think that Fox's model works because there is a plethora of chodes out there desperate for all the content that confirms their right-wing reactionary views. CNN's demographic isn't really that, per se. So I can definitely understand it working for Fox. But not CNN.

• True 1

On 4/21/2022 at 4:33 PM, Mr.Vic20 said:

I honestly did not know there was a CNN+ and I'm OK with whatever I "missed". 

You missed an Anderson Cooper show about the challenge of being a single dad! Because, you know, the heir to the Vanderbilt fortune definitely knows the struggle of poor, single parents everywhere.

Maybe Anderson, and the heir to the Swanson fortune, can make a show about being a single father while maximizing testosterone!

I'm glad that their programming will be merged with whatever HBO/Discovery plus will be ultimately as they have some really good original content... docs and films. I just refused to get another streaming service. Merging it with two services I already have which will also be merged with each other is a net positive for me :twothumbsup:

Execs expected CNN+ to make $1 billion in revenue by 2026, $2 billion by 2030.

1650972029866.png
WWW.AXIOS.COM

CNN+ research estimated that 70% of CNN+ subscribers could be bundled over time.

Executives bucketed CNN+'s potential audience into three groups, with various models of overlap:

1. 29 million "CNN super fans."
  2. 24 million "news and non-fiction SVOD (subscription video on demand) fans."
  3. 36 million "global news consumers" (people who already paid for a news subscription).

CNN+ research estimated that 70% of CNN+ subscribers could be bundled with HBO Max over time.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

CNN, is background noise when you are dusting the house.  Whoever thought there might be 29 million super fans of the cable network should probably be jailed for dumbassery.

Seriously, where did they get this idea? Most of their shows can't break a million. Humpty Dumpty often can't break 500k.