Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: OpenCritic reviews and Digital Foundry technical analysis (35 minutes) posted
35 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Have you ever met @best3444? lol

I mean, not really :p 

just don’t get why anyone would purposely read a spoiler.

I stopped for the night after doing some side quests. I need some sleep, but man, are they ever nailing the story and characters. 

some arcs ending, others beginning, characters weaving in and out, you can see the main character changing in real time, softening towards some things, hardening towards others.

The GoT influence is definitely thick, except so far it seems to be telling a more meaningful story. Clive definitely is Jon Snow, except with a more interesting personality. 

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

15 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, not really :p 

just don’t get why anyone would purposely read a spoiler.

I stopped for the night after doing some side quests. I need some sleep, but man, are they ever nailing the story and characters. 

some arcs ending, others beginning, characters weaving in and out, you can see the main character changing in real time, softening towards some things, hardening towards others.

The GoT influence is definitely thick, except so far it seems to be telling a more meaningful story. Clive definitely is Jon Snow, except with a more interesting personality. 

Honestly I thought the story would be an afterthought and the action combat the star of the show. But the story just shines and brings it all together. 

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

The music. God damn this music. It feels like it would be criminal to not play this game with headphones 

Also this Amazon X Ray type thing you can access at any time by holding down the touch pad is an amazing feature 

The Active Time Lore? Aside from making me laugh the first time I read the name, it's a handy feature. Not the first time they've done it or even the best implementation, but it's handy.

I think my personal favorite was Golden Sun: Dark Dawn where you could just literally click on the words the characters were saying and bring up their info on the second screen without even interrupting anything. Obviously can't do that the same way now, but so good.

golden-sun-dark-dawn-hyperlinks.jpg

Also, they should've voiced the lore stuff like the Mass Effect codex.

• Halal 1

9 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Incredibly epic. But why would you attempt to spoil the game for yourself?

I knew if I looked it would be harmless. I never played any of the old games except for 10, 11, and 14. I know nothing but I will stay away from spoilers going forward. 

8 hours ago, Biggie said:

Have you ever met @best3444? lol

I don't get it? I never ever spoil a game for me unless I have to look up how to accomplish something. 

7 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

The music. God damn this music. It feels like it would be criminal to not play this game with headphones

I'm still extremely early on but the music gives me chills. I wear headphones and jfc it's an orgasim to the ears. 

I'm excited to really dig into this today and the weekend. 

So, while I have a suspicion I have been hearing the voices of actors from The Last Kingdom, I know for sure this bad guy that was just introduced is voiced by Adrian Schiller. I mean, IMDB doesn't have it under his name, but surely it is him. 

On 6/20/2023 at 11:56 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

So, I like how, when you actually get this sword, you use it for all of one mission and then immediately craft a better sword. And so far, there is no glamour or method to upgrade. Always hated when you get a "special" weapon and it's just a turd two minutes later.

The whole gearing system feels more like a waste of time. Should have done the weapon in the same method as GOW, as in you just use the same weapon and keep upgrading it. So far, no weapons have cool abilities like leech or curse. The belt and wrist should just be combined into armor and you just upgrade like you would the sword. That's really all it is now but split into two items. Only the accessories have value so far and so far they are mostly just damage-up tokens for abilities.

37 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Gameplay wise, aside from combat, this doesn’t compare with Zelda, but man, the story is so, so much better.

plus the combat is incredible once you get used to it.

See and I'm all about a phenomenal story compared to phenomenal gameplay/sandbox type Zelda game. 

I prefer linear games like this and I really dig the combat so far. 

Anything open up combat wise the further you get?

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

I like how the map is laid out and areas are linear and to the point. I love the armor and the way everyone looks. Very cool FF game. 

Glad you're enjoying this. You took a gamble I know but thankfully it's awesome.

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

See and I'm all about a phenomenal story compared to phenomenal gameplay/sandbox type Zelda game. 

I prefer linear games like this and I really dig the combat so far. 

Anything open up combat wise the further you get?

You get more abilities.

• Halal 1

So far

Spoiler

Inside Garuda cyclon sequence

, the game looks great and the story is fine, but its fairly shallow and linear. Not much to do but mash buttons in combat and walk the path. I really hope this game gets broader and deeper. I don't need an open world but this feels like a treadmill. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

So far

Reveal hidden contents

, the game looks great and the story is fine, but its fairly shallow and linear. Not much to do but mash buttons in combat and walk the path. I really hope this game gets broader and deeper. I don't need an open world but this feels like a treadmill. 

this was my impression of the demo. the combat was the fun, the story was intriguing but the environments felt extremely linear. I was hoping that was just bc it was the opening sequence and it would eventually open up…but I guess not?

3 minutes ago, atom631 said:

this was my impression of the demo. the combat was the fun, the story was intriguing but the environments felt extremely linear. I was hoping that was just bc it was the opening sequence and it would eventually open up…but I guess not?

Not so far anyway, maybe it will and I'll change my opinion by the day's end. Currently though, its just A to B with a few out croppings here and there along the main road or path to pad the area and give the illusion of wandering off the main line. 

So far I haven't been too amazed. There's some big set pieces, a lot of weird bad MMO-style quests (except FFXIV has better quests and is an actual MMO, what the fuck) and for some reason all the brightly lit daytime scenes look way, way worse than darker ones. Like they didn't get the lighting right or something. Or maybe couldn't figure out how to make it as dramatic.

Anyway, combat is simple as hell and is completely unchallenging. It can be mildly satisfying to use all your abilities and efficiently kill enemies, but DMC this is not.

The story has been find but kind of... generic and boring? Like it's picking up at spots, but nothing has really hooked me so far. The best moments are when Soken's music steals the show to make something "epic" actually epic. Not a game to play with the volume down. I just wish it was a bit more like XIV in that the amazing music goes with a bit of story that's making you feel something or think about something rather than "boy this sure is a lot of cool fire and shit."

• True 1

33 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

So far I haven't been too amazed. There's some big set pieces, a lot of weird bad MMO-style quests (except FFXIV has better quests and is an actual MMO, what the fuck) and for some reason all the brightly lit daytime scenes look way, way worse than darker ones. Like they didn't get the lighting right or something. Or maybe couldn't figure out how to make it as dramatic.

Anyway, combat is simple as hell and is completely unchallenging. It can be mildly satisfying to use all your abilities and efficiently kill enemies, but DMC this is not.

The story has been find but kind of... generic and boring? Like it's picking up at spots, but nothing has really hooked me so far. The best moments are when Soken's music steals the show to make something "epic" actually epic. Not a game to play with the volume down. I just wish it was a bit more like XIV in that the amazing music goes with a bit of story that's making you feel something or think about something rather than "boy this sure is a lot of cool fire and shit."

I completely disagree about the story. It’s been nothing short of incredible so far.

• Halal 2

13 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I completely disagree about the story. It’s been nothing short of incredible so far.

Which part? The killin' dudes or the revenge for killin' dudes? The story's starting to open up to the more interesting stuff about the bearers and crystals but still isn't really going anywhere.

Certainly nothing even vaguely worthy of the word "incredible." At least not for me. Maybe some great presentation, but presentation and story are quite different. What story is it telling that is so incredible?