~*The Music Thread*`

ASG: Survive Sunrise - 8/10

Admittedly I originally got this album for the booby cover (yes I'm still blind buying in 2018) but I thought after the first listen the album was incredibly solid. It's mastodonish/Baronessish kind of southern sludgy rock. Vocals kinda remind me of Pinback.

On 7/8/2018 at 10:09 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Admittedly I originally got this album for the booby cover (yes I'm still blind buying in 2018) but I thought after the first listen the album was incredibly solid. It's mastodonish/Baronessish kind of southern sludgy rock. Vocals kinda remind me of Pinback.

I love the uprising of the Doom/Sludge Sabbath-inspired genre. I feel like its getting crowded, but this seems exceptionally good. I will have to give it a good listen. 

On 7/8/2018 at 9:09 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

This gets a spin everyday in my car. 

On 7/12/2018 at 6:13 AM, atom631 said:

I love the uprising of the Doom/Sludge Sabbath-inspired genre. I feel like its getting crowded, but this seems exceptionally good. I will have to give it a good listen. 

The 60’s and 70’s style doom/stoner is getting really overcrowded to the point it takes too much effort to sort the good from bad.

3 hours ago, SimpleG said:

The 60’s and 70’s style doom/stoner is getting really overcrowded to the point it takes too much effort to sort the good from bad.

agreed.  i really love the genre but man is there a fuck ton of bands and they all sound so similar... kind of like what happened to black metal in the mid-late 90s to basically now. 

BTW - I love pig destroyer. Saw them a month or two ago with some classic NYDM bands. awesome show. 

Nier Automata Piano Collections

I'm a sucker for piano music, I'm an even bigger sucker for piano recreations of music I already enjoy.

Most, if not all, of the Piano Collections for the Final Fantasy games are worth a listen, but as the series continues on I became less and less interested in recreations. FF13 for example just didn't touch base with me at all. Even on some of the earlier albums it can get pretty spotty sometimes where it just doesn't feel like its a good representation of its source or just doesn't emote the same feeling. However in this album seems to be the best piano collection yet. Every single song is a great representation of the source material, they all hit the right notes, and give off the same emotion of the original. The Tower feels very repetitious and is probably the only song on the album that I don't really enjoy. 

Highlights (as I can't pick a favorite)

Weight of the World

Bipolar Nightmare

Amusement Park (though I'm not a huge fan of the actual song its a wonderful representation)

9.5/10

Between the Buried and Me - Automata II - 5/10

BTBAM-Automata-II-01-300x300.jpg

Sigh. So, BTBAM released the "first part"--Automata I--of this effort earlier this year. And I can't discern why this was split into two. Length? The two albums combined clock in at a little over an hour. Plenty of records (especially metal ones) do that. Money? Metal records don't make money to begin with. Metal musicians don't derive their living from album sales. So it's a tough sell making me think it might be for that reason. Creative decision? Hard to justify since there are so many references, both musically and lyrically, between the tracks of both albums. And so should it be with a concept album by a progressive metal band. That's why I'm knocking this down in my rating because I guess it does feel like they took my money twice when they should have only taken it once. Because the music itself is incredible. It leans more into their earlier heavier material but is doused with their more melodic recent elements as well. If Automata I & II were just Automata I'd give the album a much higher rating. They did a similar thing before with the two Parallax albums, but one was an EP and was priced accordingly while the other was a full length album and priced accordingly. But this is one album split into two parts and both were full price.

Anyways, back to the music. The first track on the album, "The Proverbial Bellow", is easily the best progressive metal song I have heard this year. It's an epic 13+ minutes of odd time signatures, sweeping guitar solos and melodies, dissonant harmonies, raspy growls, beautiful singing, and goddamn riffs. But as soon as that's over we're back to complaining about the album being split again, because the next track is what seems like filler on a split album, but would have been a breather on a full length album. God. "Voice of Trespass" is the next track and it is an intoxicating mix of swing, ska, and metal that just works for some weird reason, and its final moments echo a track from Automata I. It's fantastic. "The Grid" closes the four track album and it's also a really neat song that is all over the spectrum of elements and sounds. It's weird giving an album that is absolutely brilliant for 95% of its run time a mediocre rating. But this is metal, and albums as a whole are what metal should be judged by since we don't do singles for radio play. For this album, the tracks individually compared to the whole album really is a case of the whole being lesser than the sum of its parts. And it's definitely better than Automata I.

Bullet for my Valentine - Gravity: Forgive me lord, but I did want to know how they sounded.  I enjoyed Scream. Aim. Fire back in the day as a gym/running album but this was fairly piss poor. 4/10

Next up, Opeth when jogging tomorrow and after listening to the first song (can't remember album name yet), it was surprisingly groovy. 

2 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Bullet for my Valentine - Gravity: Forgive me lord, but I did want to know how they sounded.  I enjoyed Scream. Aim. Fire back in the day as a gym/running album but this was fairly piss poor. 4/10

I heard Hand of Blood in 2005 and it was absolute trash.

Skeletonwitch - Devouring Radiant Light - 9/10

Skeletonwitch%20-%20Devouring%20Radiant%

I love old Skeletonwitch but my goodness this new direction is incredible. Longer and more thought out songs that allow melody to build and be enjoyed for longer spans of time definitely is not a bad thing. My only complaint about previous Skeletonwitch songs is that they didn't let you bask in their brilliance and were over before you knew it. While definitely slower than they used to be there is one song on here—"Carnarium Eternal"—that's probably their fastest ever, and since the songs are longer they all have their fast moments too, so it's the best of both worlds. I think my favorite song on this album is the longest one, "The Vault". It's got melody, it builds up, goes all out, and winds down and is pretty catchy in some parts.

17 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Skeletonwitch - Devouring Radiant Light - 9/10

Skeletonwitch%20-%20Devouring%20Radiant%

I love old Skeletonwitch but my goodness this new direction is incredible. Longer and more thought out songs that allow melody to build and be enjoyed for longer spans of time definitely is not a bad thing. My only complaint about previous Skeletonwitch songs is that they didn't let you bask in their brilliance and were over before you knew it. While definitely slower than they used to be there is one song on here—"Carnarium Eternal"—that's probably their fastest ever, and since the songs are longer they all have their fast moments too, so it's the best of both worlds. I think my favorite song on this album is the longest one, "The Vault". It's got melody, it builds up, goes all out, and winds down and is pretty catchy in some parts.

This album is currently a 5/10 for me. The longer songs overstay their welcome and for me the proggy/post sections of the song dont feel connected to the faster black/thrash sections. It feels like 2 different bands wrote the songs and they kinda mashed them up. Carnarium Eternal is straight up a ripper that shows that Skeletonwitch knows black/thrash. I wish them luck with trying a different sound but it just doesnt do it for me.

@SimpleG I came in here to mention Thou <3 seemed like something someone else here would enjoy!

As for the explosion of Doom/Stoner I am glad that you have to work to sift through all this music... I am very hit or miss on music leaning more towards miss than most people so having such a large variety to find stuff I like is a blessing.

• 2 weeks later...

Downloaded the new Death Cab for Cutie album, so far it's very 'expected', but hopefully something a bit more interesting will pop up. (by expected, I mean it's as though they sat down to just write an album, rather than feeling like they had ideas that needed to be recorded and made public...at least, so far)

On 6/28/2018 at 11:46 PM, Emblazon said:

Came in expecting to ONLY see metal listed. Pleasantly surprised.

I think all of us like other genres but metal is the only one that isn't very stagnant right now (though I am starting to hear some new rock I like after 15 years of mediocrity).

So I have been listening to the new Amorphis album "Queen of Time" and this is a straight up 10 out of 10 for me <3 I've never listened to them before and now I plan on seeing them on September 11th in Fort Wayne, IN :whistlin:

47 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Finnish Punk/Metal

https://bonehunter-finland.bandcamp.com/track/sex-messiah-android

@SFLUFAN

Is there a way to embed the bandcamp player on the boards ? I can never get it to work.

It's super easy and I do it all the time, just look at the embed options on the right