Super Mario Sunshine?

Derek

9 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Never understood the hate for it and would love a remaster! :sun:

The camera was awful, Many levels were too sparse for their size and it got into a boring repeating pattern.  On top of that, the hotel cleaning level can go to hell. 

• Haha 1

I mean, this game is super easy to emulate and looks beautiful emulated, so people interested should just go do that . . . 

That being said, Super Mario Sunshine is great - one of the few 3D "open world" Mario games (with Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Odyssey consisting of the two other rare times Mario delves into the "open world" genre) - so a super well done remaster ala The Wind Waker HD or Twilight Princess HD would be quite welcome. Throw in Luigi's Mansion as a bonus (since it was such a short game anyway), remastered just as good, whether it's the original game or the 3DS remake. And now you have a sort of New Super Mario Bros. U/New Super Luigi U combo.

Interestingly enough, the company Grezzo, who handled the remasters of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask and Luigi's Mansion (all for 3DS), would be a good candidate for a project like this.

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

The camera was awful, Many levels were too sparse for their size and it got into a boring repeating pattern.  On top of that, the hotel cleaning level can go to hell. 

Really?  Mario Galaxy can be faulted more for that at times IMO, and it still dumped moons everywhere.

Sunshine’s levels were pretty much perfect size in my book.  Any more busy and it would have felt cluttered.  (ie: Hat in Time)

Too sparse for its size would be more like a Rare platformer or Yooka Laylee.

15 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Really?  Mario Galaxy can be faulted more for that at times IMO, and it still dumped moons everywhere.

Sunshine’s levels were pretty much perfect size in my book.  Any more busy and it would have felt cluttered.  (ie: Hat in Time)

Too sparse for its size would be more like a Rare platformer or Yooka Laylee.

You didn't stop to think that maybe Galaxy was my least liked Mario game to date (more so than Sunshine, lol). :lol: I also had a problem with the moons issue in Odyssey as well.

Now does this mean I don't like mario games? Heck no. 3D world was fantastic and I still find myself playing Mario 64 from time to time (I even have the rumble ed for n64).

28 minutes ago, chakoo said:

You didn't stop to think that maybe Galaxy was my least liked Mario game to date (more so than Sunshine, lol). :lol: I also had a problem with the moons issue in Odyssey as well.

Now does this mean I don't like mario games? Heck no. 3D world was fantastic and I still find myself playing Mario 64 from time to time (I even have the rumble ed for n64).

haha, I meant Odyssey not Galaxy.  No collectible moons in Galaxy.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

haha, I meant Odyssey not Galaxy.  No collectible moons in Galaxy.

Galaxy's issue for me was mostly the camera. It all too often would put me upside down even after using the button to reset the camera. It was such a headache I gave up and never finished it or played Galaxy 2. 

:facepalm:

I mostly enjoyed Odyssey, beat it, but don't consider it the best 3d mario game (like some) because of the over abundance of worthless moons. 

Sunshine is my least favorite 3D Mario, but it's still a great game.

With that said, the final level and boss fight is a joke and should be completely scrapped and redone. The blue coins are also terrible. They need some kind of tracking system and maybe even a hint system. I like most of the levels though, and traversal in the game feels great.

39 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Galaxy's issue for me was mostly the camera. It all too often would put me upside down even after using the button to reset the camera. It was such a headache I gave up and never finished it or played Galaxy 2. 

:facepalm:

I mostly enjoyed Odyssey, beat it, but don't consider it the best 3d mario game (like some) because of the over abundance of worthless moons. 

Galaxy 2 isn’t perfect about it, but was better about the controls generally.  There’s some really annoying camera bits in Galaxy 1 that totally shift the control scheme up depending on the gravity of the platform you stand on and where the camera is fixed. Worst one by far was this purple coin challenge on one of the space ship levels.  

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Watch "Steal My Sunshine" and see the pain on their face as they play through the game. :p

They have pain on their face as they play through ANY game. They suck at everything.

Anyway, Sunshine had the best moveset for Mario by far, barring Odyssey in terms of pure technical ability. But for me personally, I love FLUDD. I love any platformer that helps augment your ability to platform in fun and unique ways. Which is why both Odyssey and Sunshine do it for me. My main gripe with Sunshine was that all the levels had a very samey feel. I like my cartoonish platformers to have as much variety in level design as possible, and unfortunately Sunshine had a very strong tropical island theme that just never let up, even on levels that tried to get away from it.

I'd love a Sunshine 2 where FLUDD was more freeform and less stiff. Being able to combine rocket jumps and boosts together for some harder levels would be nuts.