Fable - Xbox Games Showcase 2023 Trailer

Pikachu

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What couldn't they pull off with the tech at hand now? 

Individual trees being scarred and growing with those scars, npc's growing with and having a different unique relationship with each pc you play. NPC'S learning . Theres a bunch of wildly speculative stuff that just can't be done. 

48 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I really need MS to improve the project management of these game titles. This shit is taking way too long for only having a pre-rendered CGI trailer two years ago. After the debacle that is Halo Infinite, they really need better people in charge and set some fucking deadlines for shit. 

It was most likely an announcement with very little development underway. If you want the game to be good you're going to take more than two years especially if you're building it from the ground up. And who care's about a deadline? Just bring it out when it's ready.

36 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It was most likely an announcement with very little development underway. If you want the game to be good you're going to take more than two years especially if you're building it from the ground up. And who care's about a deadline? Just bring it out when it's ready.

it had already been the worst kept secret for years before that trailer that Playground was working on Fable. It’s definitely been more than two years. Maybe their last “vision” for the game has only been in the works for two years now. But that’s like saying Halo 5 only spent 18 months in development, just because they kept changing directions and restarting. 

And does any of that matter? Not really. Maybe if you had a terminal disease and knew you were dying in a year and Fable was the only game you wanted to play, then maybe I could see being disappointed in not getting any Fable news but we know nothing about the game, there's nothing to be excited about.

This is like the people who got excited for Pragmata, and it got delayed and well nice they are excited but it's basically not a game at this point.

There's a lot of other games that will becoming out between now and then, and by the time Fable comes out  you'll be able to breeze through it in 30 - 40 hours and forget about it and move on to the next game.

• Shocked 1

It’s not like I’ve only been waiting for a new fable game for 2 years. I’ve been waiting for 12. Now I recognize that Playground has not been trying to make a Fable game for all that time. It’s probably been 4-5 years at most, as that’s how far back the rumors of them making a Fable game go. 

but if there’s no management that says “here’s what we’re doing” and stick with it by the time MS decides to enforce a release date the game will either be a fraction of a game, like Halo 5, or just end up getting canceled, like Scale Bound, or the last Fable game Lion Head was working on. 

they need to stop fucking around. And MS studios seem to be doing too much of it at a alarmingly high rate with tent pole franchises. 

43 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

People work on games not machines so I think it's important to remember that. Now if a machine was working on a game that is something you could complain about, just like your microwave didn't cook your TV dinner fast enough.

that’s a lot of hand waving to excuse poor project management. 

plenty of games, even in the same genre and franchise have gone through pre-production, design, and release in five years or less. They weren’t made by machines either. 

the fault for such long and drawn out development cycles with little or nothing to show for them either falls in the studio or MS. 

not every game gets the benefit of Star Citizen, where they have an unlimited budget, because people keep giving them money, all the while never having to finally release a product. And I’m sure many developers would love the opportunity to never be rushed and keep trying to make the biggest and bestest game ever. And I think that’s what some of these studios are trying to do. 

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

plenty of games, even in the same genre and franchise have gone through pre-production, design, and release in five years or less. They weren’t made by machines either. 

the fault for such long and drawn out development cycles with little or nothing to show for them either falls in the studio or MS. 

not every game gets the benefit of Star Citizen, where they have an unlimited budget, because people keep giving them money, all the while never having to finally release a product. And I’m sure many developers would love the opportunity to never be rushed and keep trying to make the biggest and bestest game ever. And I think that’s what some of these studios are trying to do. 

Yeah, well, Cyberpunk came out, and we'd rather just wait till games are done now. 

Also, how can you know how far along it should be when you don't even know what it is? You're making assumptions and pretending they're fact. 

5 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So if they put a deadline on a game then what does it accomplish if it still gets delayed anyway? Are there going to be any consequences? Probably not other than people getting ticked off a game that was so far off to predict when it was finished got delayed.

You brought up games like scalebound and stuff but Xbox has a new philosophy now and Phil  is letting studios take their time because they just want the games they don't seem to care when they come out in the long run.

As five year or less dev cycle for Fable, it's only been 2 years so they can still meet your 5 year cycle and be released in 2025!

• 11 months later...

Fable's one of those series where I'm not sure if people liked it ironically or something. Nothing I played of any of the games ever seemed like anything too special, and certainly nowhere near the Molyneux Promise Express™ version of the games. It just always came across as a bland, kind of weird action RPG to me. But the people who talk about it act like the greatest game series of all times was lost after they stopped making mainline Fable titles.

I can see thinking they were fun, oddball games. But can someone explain the hardcore Fable fans' love of the series for me?

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Fable - Xbox Games Showcase 2023 Trailer
4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Fable's one of those series where I'm not sure if people liked it ironically or something. Nothing I played of any of the games ever seemed like anything too special, and certainly nowhere near the Molyneux Promise Express™ version of the games. It just always came across as a bland, kind of weird action RPG to me. But the people who talk about it act like the greatest game series of all times was lost after they stopped making mainline Fable titles.

I can see thinking they were fun, oddball games. But can someone explain the hardcore Fable fans' love of the series for me?

I can't say I'm a hardcore fan, but I am a fan and I would sight that Fable charmed me with its overtly british take on fantasy and humor. IF that doesn't "do it" for you then I can easily see why you would not enjoy it. To add insult to injury, Fable has always been fairly experimental with each entry and elected to switch things up, so its hard to say it even has a solid series identity/continuity. When I think fondly of Fable, its of a time period and that time period was OG Xbox. Fable 2 and 3 where fine, but not great games. While Fable 1 certainly fell a great deal short of the sir Peter's gusty windbaggery, its music, the look of the world, the quests, it all worked for me. Then again, I'm just a simple man that enjoyed kicking chickens as far as I can. So to sum up, its the feel of fable's world, not so much the scale, scope, etc. that sold me on it. 

I though the showing was a great example of what Playground’s tech can do.  I’m sure the cutscenes will end up great if this is the barometer.  I dig the style they’re going for.

We still haven’t seen the game yet, really.  Maybe we’re due by now.  But I’m much more perplexed by Hellblade 2 doing the same thing at this point.

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

The first Fable was a big let down for me...

WWW.IGNBOARDS.COM

Fable has been my most anticipated game for Xbox ever since it was first announced. The game's lead designer (Peter Molyneux) not only promised grand design ideas, but claimed Fable would in fact...

...but I really liked Fable II and III, they were closer to what I was expecting the first game to be like. I don’t think that they’re the best games ever, but they’re definitely fun cartoonish third person fantasy action RPGs that I still like to play every so often.

4 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

The first Fable was a big let down for me...

WWW.IGNBOARDS.COM

Fable has been my most anticipated game for Xbox ever since it was first announced. The game's lead designer (Peter Molyneux) not only promised grand design ideas, but claimed Fable would in fact...

...but I really liked Fable II and III, they were closer to what I was expecting the first game to be like. I don’t think that they’re the best games ever, but they’re definitely fun cartoonish third person fantasy action RPGs that I still like to play every so often.

Well with the new Fable having a female protagonist you must be happy about that. It looks as though they really stuck to the roots of the first one in what they were showing but I hope we get gameplay footage soon. I was very happy with that trailer, though. 

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well with the new Fable having a female protagonist you must be happy about that. It looks as though they really stuck to the roots of the first one in what they were showing but I hope we get gameplay footage soon. I was very happy with that trailer, though. 

Of course I’m happy that the protagonist is female because as you know I don’t really like playing as dudes in games, but perhaps you can choose a male protagonist as well like in Fable II and III and they just chose the female one for the trailer. That trailer shows promise for the game since it looks like it’s going to be comedic, fun and whimsical. Unfortunately, I probably won’t ever play it since I don’t plan on getting an Xbox Series X.

I never had an Xbox, so I never paid much attention to the original. I went into Fable 2 with minimal expectations and had a lot of fun. I didn’t play much of 3, don’t remember who I didn’t like it as much. 

I’m probably not going to pay much attention to this one either, and just see what it’s all about when I download it (thanks, Game Pass!)

37 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Of course I’m happy that the protagonist is female because as you know I don’t really like playing as dudes in games, but perhaps you can choose a male protagonist as well like in Fable II and III and they just chose the female one for the trailer. That trailer shows promise for the game since it looks like it’s going to be comedic, fun and whimsical. Unfortunately, I probably won’t ever play it since I don’t plan on getting an Xbox Series X.

I totally forgot you won't own a series x. Do you have any interest in Starfield? 

I was really hoping we'd get more of a hint as to what the actual game would be. With an Assasin's Creed game you basically just need to know the setting and you more or less know what to expect. With Fable, not so much. There is so much out this year that I don't mind it being a ways out, but I'm very curious to find out what it will be like.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I’d play it if I owned an XBawks but I’m not buying a system for the poor man’s MassEffect No Mans Sky. 

As someone who is excited for Starfield I think that is a totally fair take. I'm sure Starfield will provide some more nuanced things to explore on planets but with everything in No Mans Sky has added I wouldn't see Starfield as the sole reason to get a new Xbox.

18 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

As someone who is excited for Starfield I think that is a totally fair take. I'm sure Starfield will provide some more nuanced things to explore on planets but with everything in No Mans Sky has added I wouldn't see Starfield as the sole reason to get a new Xbox.

Yea, but there so much more than Starfield for the Xbox. The showcase showed a bright future, too. Biggie is just a hater. :p

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

That's why you're hating on it. I forgot you don't have an Xbox. You cock sucker.  🤣 

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea, but there so much more than Starfield for the Xbox. The showcase showed a bright future, too. Biggie is just a hater. :p

Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Just now, Biggie said:

Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I'm actually laughing because I was wondering why you were hating on the entire Xbox show then shitting on Starfield. I completely forgot you don't own an Xbox so it all makes sense now. 

Spoiler

I'm triggered af you don't like Xbox!

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I agree and I'm more interested in an Xbox than a Playstation right now... however at this point I feel it's worth waiting another year to see if there are Pro consoles or price drops.

• True 1