Returnal - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PC Port Review - "It's Good, But Could Be Great"

SaysWho?

4 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Any word on performance?  I don't have a super powerful PC but it's still pretty capable.  May bite on this if it's well optimized and performance is good.  Sucks that it's a rogue-ish game, but I can't not play whatever Housemarque makes.

returnal-logo.jpg
WCCFTECH.COM

Returnal PC is out now. Here's our performance test of Housemarque's acclaimed roguelike third-person bullet hell shooter game.

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercury said:

It's a workstation and I almost exclusively emulate older games, though I've tried a few newer games on Steam and they seemed to run fine. 

32g RAM

Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2133 CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz

NVIDIA Quadro P4000

Not sure how any of this compares to anything else.

The p4000 is about equal to a GTX 1070 in gaming iirc

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

returnal-logo.jpg
WCCFTECH.COM

Returnal PC is out now. Here's our performance test of Housemarque's acclaimed roguelike third-person bullet hell shooter game.

tbf I’ve heard reports elsewhere that stutter seems more mild, Alex doesn’t seem to be totally disheartened by it, looking forward to his review. Weird that they went with a 16gb test rig given the 32gb recommendation. 

I've got 32GB of DDR5. Definitely has some very mild microstutters here and there (much bigger and more worrying in the benchmark actually) but otherwise runs at extremely high frame rates and looks great. Dunno how it might be different on other machines, though.

Also the benchmark had my CPU pegged at between 0 and 3% CPU usage over multiple runs, which is... exceptionally weird?

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I've got 32GB of DDR5. Definitely has some very mild microstutters here and there (much bigger and more worrying in the benchmark actually) but otherwise runs at extremely high frame rates and looks great. Dunno how it might be different on other machines, though.

Also the benchmark had my CPU pegged at between 0 and 3% CPU usage over multiple runs, which is... exceptionally weird?

Mine was like 2 to 6% yeah, very strange. And yeah I honestly expected it to run worse, a little micro stutter and some cpu bound performance drops as I expected but overall it runs in the 90-100s still maxed out and looks great with the much much better iq.

Now bring on the cheats!!!!

Had a really good first run for not playing since like a month after PS5 launch. Got to the boss of the second zone on my first life and got him to the final phase to boot. Even had a respawn but went into a fucking nightmare room looking for a few things to help me out a bit and you had your dash disabled while wading through muck that damaged you and knocked you down? Did I miss something in that room? The reward on the other side was total shit, too. Had to use a major healing consumable to get back through because apparently crossing it twice was part of the deal for a small health pickup and some random consumable I didn't want.

Well, good news and bad news!

Bad news is I had a crash. Grabbed a weapon and it just said "Fatal error!" and that was that. I have full data enabled so hopefully that got a crash report sent.

Good news is apparently the game auto-generates suspend points because after I opened the game again it said my run was continued and I was just one room back. Crash protection maybe? Does it work like that on PS5? I remember once on PS5 something caused the system to restart and I most definitely did not get to continue my save.

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Good news is apparently the game auto-generates suspend points because after I opened the game again it said my run was continued and I was just one room back. Crash protection maybe? Does it work like that on PS5? I remember once on PS5 something caused the system to restart and I most definitely did not get to continue my save.

As mentioned earlier there was an update that allowed you to resume the game if you quit so maybe it extends to crashes as well.

6 hours ago, stepee said:

Mine was like 2 to 6% yeah, very strange. And yeah I honestly expected it to run worse, a little micro stutter and some cpu bound performance drops as I expected but overall it runs in the 90-100s still maxed out and looks great with the much much better iq.

Now bring on the cheats!!!!

• Sicko Sherman 1

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.CHEATHAPPENS.COM

Returnal +21 trainer for PC game version .

https://www.wemod.com/cheats/returnal-trainers

Nice, i’ll try that first one later tonight! I tried the wemod one but I couldn’t seem to get it to work but I can’t tell if you are able to use it in the free version or not and def not going to buy it.

I think for difficulty I’m honestly fine with just a button that bumps up my health as if I had unlimited potions or something, but I don’t want complete invincibility. I’ll have to play with it to find something that leaves some room for error still.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Nice, i’ll try that first one later tonight! I tried the wemod one but I couldn’t seem to get it to work but I can’t tell if you are able to use it in the free version or not and def not going to buy it.

I think for difficulty I’m honestly fine with just a button that bumps up my health as if I had unlimited potions or something, but I don’t want complete invincibility. I’ll have to play with it to find something that leaves some room for error still.

I think with WeMod you have to use the stand-alone and not the all-in-one app.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think with WeMod you have to use the stand-alone and not the all-in-one app.

I tried that and it showed the cheats and I get that they try to trick you to buying it but that the hot keys they show are supposed to work but just nothing happened. It could be because I don’t actually have a keyboard with a numberpad and the steam mapping maybe isn’t registering the same way since it’s hooked.

The game looks and runs phenomenally getting around 90-100fps with everything maxed except ray traced shadows turned off. I'm using a mid-high  intel core I7 processor, an rtx 3080, and 16gb ram and according to the benchmark it seems like it's only using about 6gb ram.

There are definitely some micro-stutters that can be a bit jarring but don't really effect gameplay, hoping those can get ironed out and the game will be perfect.  

Gonna probably not play more for a bit as I concentrate on HP but man is it a looker on pc. I was kinda disappointed when I tried it on ps5 after getting the oled because it wasn’t the show off I thought it would be since it was too blurry to pop the way I thought it would with it’s color tone and particles. It’s doing it for me now though and looks really good at 100~ fps.

I don’t think the loading stutters are that bad, now that people are not denying stutters exist they have moved on to exaggerating how bad they are because stutters have always been everywhere. Shader comp is its own thing but now everything that has the same stutters we’ve dealt with all this time is unplayable to some people. Anyway that is a rant about form people. 

It will be cool if they iron it out because better is better but even on my 10series intel/ddr4 and with ray tracing on, my overall impression of it is that it’s smooth and looks fantastic. This isn’t like Batman/CP or even Forspoken.

That said this game has the best feeling dash in a game but for some reason I really wish if you jumped after a dash it gave you a super jump. 

Returnal.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Mouse and Keyboard controls make Returnal a lot easier on PC.

Returnal is, by design, a brutally difficult game. It warns of this when you first start. A pop-up message during the intro explains it is "intended to be a challenging experience" - possibly one of gaming's greatest understatements. The PC port, just released on Steam and EGS this week, retains that original warning, but it's not as true as it once was. Unrestrained by the limitations of the DualSense controller, I've managed to make short work of Returnal's first three zones. Maxed out on adrenaline and impossible to hit, I've blazed a bloody trail from one boss to the next in a stunning display that perverts everything Returnal is supposed to be about. This game clearly was not made with mouse and keyboard in mind, and as much fun as I'm having revisiting one of my favorite games, I know this ceaseless forward progress is detrimental to the experience I'm meant to be having.

When I finished my first run through the overgrown ruins and took down Phrike on the first try, I figured it was a fluke. It's been more than a year since I played Returnal on PS5 and, like most people, I struggled the entire way, pushed through the despair, and after dozens, perhaps hundreds of attempts, finally completed it. But my second playthrough on PC is a totally different story. The precision of mouse and keyboard controls transformed Returnal from a desperate fight for survival into a high-energy slaughterfest. I cleanly took down Phrike, then cleared Ixiom and Nemesis, all in one go.

36 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
Returnal.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

This is probably true if you didn’t adjust the auto aim or enabled always sprint option on console.  I had no qualms in doing so and making it further as a result.

It shouldn’t have to be a game about precision so much as dodging, seems to be designed that way.

It's kind of ridiculous to claim a game like this is "easy" on PC when you've already beaten it on ps5, most of the difficulty is learning enemy patterns and knowing which combos of weapons and upgradess synergize well together.

Obviously mouse offers far more precise aim but honestly this game doesn't exactly require pinpoint precision. 

59 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
Returnal.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Funny, I had the exact same experience except I only got to the beginning of zone 2 on PS5 and I was playing it on PC with a controller. I cleared zone 3 while being functionally invincible on my third life. I got the zone 2 boss down to like 5% HP on my second life despite starting with basically no health, and on my third life I blazed through absolutely everything, and beat zone 3's boss on my first try in what was honestly a really boring and disappointing fight. Hoping to enjoy more challenge as I proceed.

Spoiler

And if the game didn't do a lame forced reset of your character, I probably would've blazed my way to the end unless there's some big thing that happens that requires a different tier of artifacts or something.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Maybe @stepee won't have to cheat after all! :o

Naaa I don’t like paying mouse and keyboard but this does just go to show that there would be absolutely nothing wrong with just giving a damn easy mode. I love playing this game but it’s just too damn hard for me with such a huge penalty for dying with little progress being made. I’ll find some cheat combo.

On 2/16/2023 at 6:44 AM, Xbob42 said:

Alright, absolutely dominated what I played tonight and 

Hide contents

cleared act 1 on my third life! I didn't know there were multiple acts. Looks like weapon proficiency is doubled, so are there 6 stages, or do you do the same 3 twice but they get harder?

Spoiler

6 Unique Biomes, even though I didn't notice a huge difference between Biome 1 and 4.  2/5 are completely different, as are 3/6.