Returnal - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PC Port Review - "It's Good, But Could Be Great"

SaysWho?

I was just talking about how tempted I am to buy this again to see if I can clear it on my first life after I did it on my second life on PS5.  Aftering getting some of the upgrades it makes the runs easier so i never got to experience that initial difficulty again after playing through once.  I never wanted to wipe my save either to restart from scratch.

I'll prob wait for a sale though as I don't feel like paying $60 for it after paying $70 for it once.

3 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I was just talking about how tempted I am to buy this again to see if I can clear it on my first life after I didnt it on my second life on PS5.  Aftering getting some of the upgrades it makes the runs easier so i never got to experience that initial difficulty again after playing through once.  I never wanted to wipe my save either to restart from scratch.

I'll prob wait for a sale though as I don't feel like paying $60 for it after paying $70 for it once.

It’s $40 on cdkeys!

• Halal 1

Returnal-PC-SIte.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

The Digital Foundry verdict on the PC port of Housemarque's PS5 masterpiece.

Returnal's PC version is absolutely fine for the most part, and certainly leagues beyond many of the Unreal Engine 4 PC ports we've looked at over the last year or so - but there are still some key issues to be aware of before making a purchase. By and large, we're looking at a game that can scale significantly beyond its PlayStation 5 origins, but there are some issues with ray tracing in particular I'd like to see addressed. Optimised settings? We've got those for you too, but in common with much of the work I put into creating these, ultimately what you end up with is a visual balance for the game highly reminiscent of Housemarque's existing work on PS5.

There's much to commend this release though and that begins with the game's first boot, where Returnal pre-compiles all shaders, meaning no shader compilation stutter during play. It's a quick step too - just a six second delay on a Core i9 12900K and an admittedly beefier 35 seconds on a mainstream CPU like the Ryzen 5 3600. There is still stutter, however, of two types. First of all, running any of the UE4-based ray tracing effects can cause hitching and stuttering which the developers are looking to track down and eliminate. The current working theory, we're told, is that it may be related to mesh creation. There's also traversal stutter too - nothing new to Returnal veterans, as this is in the PS5 version to this day. Stutter on opening doors? That's a touch offputting too. Traversal stutter can be minimised with a high-end CPU, but it's still there to a certain extent - and it's much more of an issue on less capable CPUs.

In summary, there's so much to like about Returnal on PC, aside from its lack of FSR2 at launch and its stutter problems. The settings are excellent, the benchmark is top tier and both of these things should be emulated by other developers. The image quality upgrades alone make this worth looking at, even if you've already played on PS5, while the option to run at 120fps or higher is seriously transformative to a game like this. Honestly, I felt somewhat overpowered playing the game on PC - I did not die during my gameplay run for the b-roll I gathered for the video, all the way up to the third biome, something I could never achieve with a PS5 pad.

But this was the result of playing on a high-end CPU and with ray tracing purposefully turned off to avoid the stutters that are associated with it - and nothing can overcome traversal and door-opening stutter. As good as this port is, these issues are problematic on mainstream CPUs so I would recommend waiting with a purchase if you're on a mid-range rig, where the drawbacks are magnified significantly. On a high-end processor, I can recommend the game as is, with the caveat that ray tracing is disabled. Based on my conversations with the developer throughout the review period, I am optimistic for positive outcomes in addressing my problems with the port as it stands, and we'll do our best to keep you updated with progress.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Returnal - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PC Port Review - "It's Good, But Could Be Great"
13 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

My one gripe with this game is that not enough things carry over for how long the runs can last. It takes like 45 minutes to get to the 2nd boss, and if you die along the way you bring essentially nothing with you to the next run. 

You bring your newfound level of skill with you you fucking extrinsic reward addict! The game can't take away your TRUE POWER!

On 2/19/2023 at 6:32 AM, thedarkstark said:

My one gripe with this game is that not enough things carry over for how long the runs can last. It takes like 45 minutes to get to the 2nd boss, and if you die along the way you bring essentially nothing with you to the next run. 

Don’t sleep on the weapon perks! Those things will make you a BEAST.

On 2/20/2023 at 4:59 PM, SaysWho? said:

Don’t sleep on the weapon perks! Those things will make you a BEAST.

What I find really helps is if you adjust the table for fire rate to 80, no recoil, inf. ammo cap, no alt fire cooldown, and no dash cooldown. Still having trouble in the second area but I think it should be doable - and I finally got to SEE the second area which is awesome so already enjoying it a lot more.

Beat the first act in easy mode! Even with all the perks and being super leveled up from playing the previous levels pretty thoroughly I barely beat the third biome boss. The area before it I also barely survived. I have no idea how some of y’all manage to beat this game without cheats.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Beat the first act in easy mode! Even with all the perks and being super leveled up from playing the previous levels pretty thoroughly I barely beat the third biome boss. The area before it I also barely survived. I have no idea how some of y’all manage to beat this game without cheats.

Did you beat them on the first try? Most of us take multiple attempts. The 1st boss is super easy though, didn't even get hit on my 2nd try. The 2nd boss is a lot tougher

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

I gotta see this gameplay of yours!

1 minute ago, thedarkstark said:

Did you beat them on the first try? Most of us take multiple attempts. The 1st boss is super easy though, didn't even get hit on my 2nd try. The 2nd boss is a lot tougher

Yeah I figure most people take multiple attempts but even still, just playing through them all jacked up and still barely making it, hats off to those of you who made it through this. I spent like 15 hours trying to beat the first boss and never could do it. This game is just too hard for me and I’m not good enough at it. 

Really happy it came to pc and I could play it with my own easy mode now though. I find the game super super fun to play but not dying and starting all over and being unable to see new biomes. 

This game is so stunning on pc and I’m really glad I get to see how all of this looks now.

2 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

I'm just imagining him standing in one spot getting hit by every projectile while infinite firing. 😂🤣

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

I was honestly imagining trying to play it like a cover shooter!

What if I told you that you are both right!

Sometimes it’s just this huge mess of particles literally filling the entire screen and impossible to even see what’s happening because I’m spamming the alt fire in a room of enemy’s and it’s all just bright neon and nothing else.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

What if I told you that you are both right!

Sometimes it’s just this huge mess of particles literally filling the entire screen and impossible to even see what’s happening because I’m spamming the alt fire in a room of enemy’s and it’s all just bright neon and nothing else.

My recommendation would be to focus only on what's coming directly for your character, and to remember that dodging makes you invincible, you can dodge right through any hazard or attack!

It won't make you a bullet hell god or anything, but if something isn't an active threat to your character, it's a distraction to intimidate you!

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

My recommendation would be to focus only on what's coming directly for your character, and to remember that dodging makes you invincible, you can dodge right through any hazard or attack!

It won't make you a bullet hell god or anything, but if something isn't an active threat to your character, it's a distraction to intimidate you!

I got zero cool down on dash now so I can really move through stuff yeah!

13 hours ago, stepee said:

I beat that boss first try, well actually, second try after an astronaut figure.

I was such a damage sponge at that point with my health bar and protection % that there was no stopping me from a full life meter.

Trick is to kick butt in the first zone and the start of the second.

Did my first daily challenge run, didn't realize it was just one biome and no boss fight. Kinda weird. Is it always like that or was that just today's?

Anyway I placed #7, although there were only like 430 entries for the day. I could've easily gotten #2 but I jumped down for an item and apparently directly into water...? Why the fuck is there pristine, crystal-clear water in a dank ass desert? The air itself is full of dust! Anyway, that reset my multiplier and lost me a good 60k points or so once all was said and done, bummer.

No idea how the first place guy got almost double the points of everyone else. I'm assuming he cheated, had an exploit, or there's something about the daily challenge I'm missing that'll dramatically increase your point total. I'm assuming you get a bonus for not getting hit at all, but would it really double your score?