Cancelled Prince of Persia reboot leak surfaces, update: former Ubisoft animator explains why Ubisoft is quick to cancel PoP titles

crispy4000

Assassin's Creed was basically Prince of Persia for the first ten years of its existence. Now that it's moved on to a more open world RPG, it leaves room for PoP to actually make a comeback. 

Hopefully Ubisoft is open to making a mid-tier, linear action platformer with little wiggle room for monetization and virtually no replayability...

:lol:

• Haha 1

Thank you @ShreddieMercuryRisingfor sharing that video, totally captivating! Having played the original on an Apple II this brought me back, and getting to see glimpses of the other versions as well as the 2002 version on Playstation (ouch that didn't age gracefully, on a visual standpoint - it looked far prettier in my head!), just so much nostalgia here!

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah I know but, like, a proper PC/console experience sequel. The DS sequel was something that helped though at least.

Yeah I want one too. The console PoP was a different kind of game and I get why people didn’t love it but it clicked for me. 

Ummm that looked pretty awesome! I'm pretty pissed we didnt' get that.

Sands of Time is arguably my favorite game of all time, I'd love love love to get another Prince of Persia in the same veign.  Less of the emo heavy metal equals though.  

41 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Ummm that looked pretty awesome! I'm pretty pissed we didnt' get that.

Sands of Time is arguably my favorite game of all time, I'd love love love to get another Prince of Persia in the same veign.  Less of the emo heavy metal equals though.  

I'd like to think that the 2008 game showed that Ubisoft was at least willing to move away from the "edgy" aesthetics of The Warrior Within/The Two Thrones.

I like Warrior Within the best of all.  Yes, it gets the aesthetic all wrong, but the world and puzzle design stands far above SoT.  I really enjoyed some of the plot twists too.

I wish more linear games would copy its design template.  It’s very Metroidvania-lite.  The perfect amount of it, whereas SoT and the third game felt too constricting.

21 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I like Warrior Within the best of all.  Yes, it gets the aesthetic all wrong, but the world and puzzle design stands far above SoT.  I really enjoyed some of the plot twists too.

I wish more linear games would copy its design template.  It’s very Metroidvania-lite.  The perfect amount of it, whereas SoT and the third game felt too constricting.

Yeah I also enjoyed Warrior Within because the story was so interesting. Being chased by the Dahaka for years was a fascinating plot development. It doesn't come off nearly as edgy or stupid in 2020 than it did when it came out. Sands of Time is better, but I still like Warrior Within and The Two Thrones. Less said about Forgotten Sands, the better.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah I also enjoyed Warrior Within because the story was so interesting. Being chased by the Dahaka for years was a fascinating plot development. It doesn't come off nearly as edgy or stupid in 2020 than it did when it came out. Sands of Time is better, but I still like Warrior Within and The Two Thrones. Less said about Forgotten Sands, the better.

It was annoying that Microsoft made Sands of Time back compat on the Xbox One, but ignored the other two games in the trilogy. I own all three OG Xbox discs, but was never able to get far into the third one due to a disc read error. All the Xbox One would need to disc for would be for verification, I could've finally beaten it all these years later.

But noooooooooooo.

16 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

It was annoying that Microsoft made Sands of Time back compat on the Xbox One, but ignored the other two games in the trilogy. I own all three OG Xbox discs, but was never able to get far into the third one due to a disc read error. All the Xbox One would need to disc for would be for verification, I could've finally beaten it all these years later.

But noooooooooooo.

That's annoying and frustrating. If it helps any, the entire trilogy (technically with the existence of The Forgotten Sands it's not a trilogy anymore) is on the PC and PS3, if you can play it either of those ways, even via digital download for both platforms (PS3 and PC) but no PS4/PS4 Pro support.