Jason Schreier ain't done: TLOUII and Iron Man VR are likely just the first in a series of delays

SaysWho?

I wondered for a while about TLOUPII because if movies were getting delayed a ton, why not games? It's probably easier to keep apart since you're not getting up close to actors and directing them, and it's probably an easier industry to work at home than film, but it still seemed like this whole thing would be REALLY complicated, even though TLOUII's delay is more shipping the game out.

Well:

Yeah, I would imagine that a lot of things become difficult when you shift game dev to remote work, but there's little that shouldn't be possible to overcome. I understand you'd have delays because of organizational issues, and maybe for things like mocap, but otherwise I can imagine the games industry won't be nearly as impacted as something like film making.

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There is a very real possibility that the delay of software this fall will delay the launch of hardware.

As soon as I thought of the delays, I thought of that as well. For me, that works out well as it means I can still drag this generation out without feeling like I'm missing out. 

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Microsoft ain’t delaying. They are all in on digital (game pass) and backwards compatibility. This could be a great opportunity for Microsoft 

I think it is still a little early to say anything definite.  You should listen to the IGN interview with Phil Spencer from a couple days ago(I would normally not recommend much on that site - but that interview was really good).  

Microsoft currently does not have plans to delay.  However we are not out of the woods yet.  The hardware is finished for the Series X - but it still needs to be manufactured on a large scale.  It looks like that is possible in China in a few months, but realistically we need to probably just wait and see if there is another Covid wave to come.  Also he mentions that 'so far' they are on schedule developing the software (OS) for the system but that everyone working from home has created a strain.  That could conceivably slow things down too.  If the PS5 gets delayed that would take the pressure off MS and they may choose to delay rather than push too.

The end of the year is a big unknown for everyone at this point.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Digital distribution for games doesn't mean much if they can't get a console into people's homes.

And something like Stadia doesn't mean much if the internet is running slower as many companies opt to limit speeds on their networks/services.

My internet overall is still OK overall, though video quality on streaming services isn't as good and I've seen more instances of Xbox Live being down and PSN being slower (and I mean past the usual slow downloads). 

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

TLOUPII is being delayed due to manufacturing and shipping problems.

Because they have to print out shitty 1 page instruction manuals.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

How are consoles going to overcome that if an individual game can't?

Phil Spencer is going to print out box art and instructions at his house!

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Because they have to print out shitty 1 page instruction manuals.

Phil Spencer is going to print out box art and instructions at his house!

Yeah, dude, if anything needs any kind of part -- case, hard drive, fans, whatevs -- it's likely going to have problems with manufacturing and shipping. Keep your expectations low for anything you're looking forward to in 2020. :p 

My heart is still hurting from TLOU2's delay. :cry:

9 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Yeah, dude, if anything needs any kind of part -- case, hard drive, fans, whatevs -- it's likely going to have problems with manufacturing and shipping. Keep your expectations low for anything you're looking forward to in 2020.

No one has said that is a problem yet.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No one has said that is a problem yet.

Naughty Dog said logistics, Schreier said shipping and to expect more delays. If you want to think it's just Sony's two games and that this won't have obvious ramifications for consoles, good luck with the impending series of disappointments coming your way. :p 

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'll be the judge of what you're looking forward to :|

You missed the opportunity to say, "I'll be the judge of what I'm looking forward to," which would have been the first time either of us used this accurately. :| 

• Shocked 1

I believe there is a fundamental timing risk for holiday games.  If the "social distancing" lasts for months, there is a real risk to games coming out.

If there isn't a critical mass of "next-gen" games, MS/Sony would be foolhardy to release a new console.  You only get one chance to make a first impression, and get a big launch push.

There are all sorts of other risks (the OS, logistics, delays to manufacture, global depression, etc.) -- but, I still think delays to holiday games may be huge.

12 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

You missed the opportunity to say, "I'll be the judge of what I'm looking forward to," which would have been the first time either of us used this accurately. :| 

I'll be the fucking judge of whether or not this would have been the first time either of you used this accurately. :|

• Shocked 2

Sony, Microsoft may contend with thinner launch lineups for PS5, Xbox Series X due to pandemic

Kantan Games analyst Dr. Serkan Toto believes that the delays we’ve seen so far is “just the start,” and many game publishers have found themselves scrambling in this pandemic.

“As far as game development goes, nothing good can come out of the pandemic,” he said. “Outer Worlds for the Switch was the first high-profile delay and has now been followed by Sony's big releases yesterday… We will see more delays, and [various] publisher out there are surely busy readjusting this year's release schedule internally right now. I would not be surprised if that included Sony and Microsoft and their next-gen launch line-ups. 

“They operate large teams that are spread across different continents and work on games for years. The pandemic can only mean bad news, and I wouldn't want to be in Sony or Microsoft's shoes now.”

The ongoing COVID-19 crisis is forcing publishers and platform holders to talk about plans they still have some control over, rather than teasing future projects. “For Nintendo, I think there is a reason why the recent Direct didn't go very far into the future,” Toto continued. “All of the big three are well-advised to keep it safe now, but I believe the good news is that players across the board are understanding the pandemic is a big challenge for everybody. The world has tougher nuts to crack now, and it's not like we are suffering from a lack of games.”

Pachter was more optimistic, guessing that “the pandemic is largely past us by August and the PS5 lineup is fine.” If that turns out not to be the case, however, the new generation of consoles won’t suffer too much because, as NPD analyst Mat Piscatella pointed out, the overall landscape in 2020 is vastly different than when the PS3 and Xbox One arrived seven years ago.