The Plot Against America - David Simon alternate history HBO miniseries. What if the US turned fascist before WWII?

Just now, sexy_shapiro said:

If the book was written at the beginning of the Iraq War and was a response to Bush-era rhetoric and policy, then it is just as relevant today! And let’s have some good faith here. I don’t think David Simon would work on a show thar exists to congratulate America’s moral superiority. That is... just not what he’s into.

Did you watch the trailer? I don’t see how anyone with half a brain could watch that and say, “Oh, this clearly has nothing to do with current events.” 

Like I said, I love David Simon, I don't like the idea of alternate histories on principle at this point. As I said in my original post, I think his talent can make anything good, so I agree with you, it's just there are, in theory, better/more interesting stories to tell. Obviously I'll watch if it's good regardless. :p 

The lack of imagination on this board amazes me sometimes... for real. I've pretty much decided to take a step back from posting here for a bit, but I really dont understand how one can defend Once Upon A Time In Hollywood which managed to offend a whole country but gets a pass because it's an "alternate reality" or whatever the fuck, but this trailer is met with trepidation despite the pedigree of the people involved. At least this series seems to be attempting to be an allegory and say something about the times we're in while exploring the past,  as opposed to be simply being escapist Fantasy which is literally saying nothing. And I LIKE escapist fantasy that says nothing and I liked Once Upon A Time In Hollywood! Tarantino's what, last FOUR films have been alternate histories to an extent and nobody said shit. This series? Concern trolling starts up immediately... I wonder why that is :hmm:

Actually I don't :lol:

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The lack of imagination on this board amazes me sometimes... for real. I've pretty much decided to take a step back from posting here for a bit, but I really dont understand how one can defend Once Upon A Time In Hollywood which managed to offend a whole country but gets a pass because it's an "alternate reality" or whatever the fuck, but this trailer is met with trepidation despite the pedigree of the people involved. At least this series seems to be attempting to be an allegory and say something about the times we're in while exploring the past,  as opposed to be simply being escapist Fantasy which is literally saying nothing. And I LIKE escapist fantasy that says nothing and I liked Once Upon A Time In Hollywood! Tarantino's what, last FOUR films have been alternate histories to an extent and nobody said shit. This series? Concern trolling starts up immediately... I wonder why that is :hmm:

Actually I don't :lol:

If this is in response to me, as usual you make an extremely reductive argument, so no, I think (again, if this is aimed at me) you've missed my point entirely. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe I’m misunderstanding @Greatoneshere, but I understood him to be referring to shows that are based around the singular premise of “what if this society altering event never happened/happened in a fundamentally different way?” 

I don’t think he believers that that movies shouldn’t play with historic fact at all. But you also need to do even that in a creative way to be interesting.

But some people also are happy to watch more of the same when it comes to things like super hero movies, so maybe it’s OK to have personal preferences :p 

56 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Maybe I’m misunderstanding @Greatoneshere, but I understood him to be referring to shows that are based around the singular premise of “what if this society altering event never happened/happened in a fundamentally different way?” 

I don’t think he believers that that movies shouldn’t play with historic fact at all. But you also need to do even that in a creative way to be interesting.

But some people also are happy to watch more of the same when it comes to things like super hero movies, so maybe it’s OK to have personal preferences :p 

NailedI it.

On 1/30/2020 at 6:48 PM, thewhyteboar said:

The book is fantastic. 

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think it's less about the book and the timing of the announcement of the TV show. 

In retrospect, the only surprising thing about this is that it hadn't been adapted sooner. I desperately hope that the show can live up to the book and Roth's legacy.

12 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Like I said, I love David Simon, I don't like the idea of alternate histories on principle at this point. As I said in my original post, I think his talent can make anything good, so I agree with you, it's just there are, in theory, better/more interesting stories to tell. Obviously I'll watch if it's good regardless. :p 

I mean, I guess there could always be more interesting stories to tell. The Mandalorian was fun, but I wouldn’t exactly call it interesting or timely.

It’s fine if that is your preference, you are entitled to that. But the notion that these alternate history stories are trying to burry our heads in the sand is just plain false. These shows are increasingly popping up because the alarming present is causing many to reexamine America’s past and troubled legacy.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I have no problem with him having a personal preference. What I do take issue with is his misunderstanding of the intent of these stories. Stating that this show is trying to avoid discussing the present is a bold claim, and bold claims should always be backed up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

So did anyone watch this? So much of this show runs parallel with how Trump took over today that it’s somewhat scary.

The ending was a bit off though, not sure if the book was like that as I’ve just started it.

Didnt realize it was out will on demand it later.