Videogame critique/commentary/analysis/documentary channels

Commissar SFLUFAN

This one also has relatively little to do with gaming, although it did sell me Manifold Garden, but I'm starting to get pissed at this guy for constantly talking around House of Leaves, going so far as to have it be the only identifiable book in this video without actually talking about it in either this video or the Fear of Depths video. Maybe he'll get to it in the Haunted House Control video I have yet to watch, since it would also be an appropriate reference there.

His beard is also disturbingly dense.

EDIT: He got to House of Leaves in the haunted houses videos, thank fuck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I have watched nearly all of this guy's videos, but I actually don't think his videos are good. I just like that some of his videos are longer than some movies. 

And it isn't that the video aren't good, but like, HE isn't good.  Like, what feels off to me, compared to nearly every other similar types of content, this guy does this one thing, A LOT, that I don't notice others doing. What he does, is when he doesn't like some he goes, "So, this is bad, boring, and or lame, now here is my bright idea of something way cooler and the devs totally should have done my cooler idea instead of their idea that wasn't cool or creative." 

Maybe that it isn't a bad thing, but it reminds me of when the new Star Wars movies were coming out and people were complaining that the movies didn't follow their headcannon. Which then had people complaining about how people were bitching. I think any of his videos on anything made by Bethesda has this issue. Maybe the Skyrim one has him doing this the most, but it is really annoying when I notice it, but it seems like none of the comments even notice it. 

I mentioned this in an earlier post, but in celebration of the release of Mass Effect Legendary Edition tomorrow, here's Raycevick's retrospective on the Mass Effect trilogy, as well as Andromeda (which I haven't seen yet since I haven't played the game yet, but I'm sure it's just as good as the other three videos). 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Brick said:

Yeah but MauLer is a piece of shit person. 

How so? 

Edit

I have never heard of this guy until today and I only to watch the DS2 stuff. I see he has a lot of movie reviews on Star Wars and Marvel movies. If he is a pos for some opinion of those movies then I don't care. 

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

How so? 

Edit

I have never heard of this guy until today and I only to watch the DS2 stuff. I see he has a lot of movie reviews on Star Wars and Marvel movies. If he is a pos for some opinion of those movies then I don't care. 

Honestly can't remember off the top of my head. Probably alt-right, or alt-right adjacent, or hangs out with alt-right people, something like that. Plus who the fuck does like 12 hour reviews on reviews?

There are plenty of people in the gaming sphere who are alt-right or close to it. I kind of choose to just ignore them when they bring up anything other than games. Razorfist is a good example.

Resonant Arc is probably my favorite gaming analysis channel. I just wish they put out more content that isn't in podcast format. They're currently in the middle of a Xenogears analysis that is 15 hours long if you watched it from beginning to end. Their short form stuff is great, though

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Being alt right is nothing? 

You can't name a thing he's said or done, but he might be friends with someone who is alt-right, or might be alt right, which at this point is at least 75m people. Everyone in the country is associated with those people, most have them in their family or friends group. So yeah, unless they have said or done horrible things, its not noteworthy.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

You can't name a thing he's said or done, but he might be friends with someone who is alt-right, or might be alt right, which at this point is at least 75m people. Everyone in the country is associated with those people, most have them in their family or friends group. So yeah, unless they have said or done horrible things, its not noteworthy.

Well excuse me for not remembering the exact reason why I wrote him off years ago :rolleyes:

Also alt right isn't the same as right leaning, so no it isn't 75m people, and most people don't have them in their family or friends group. 

Being alt right would also impact one's views on a game or movie, so yeah it does matter, especially when so many of them have issues with minorities and women, so you can not just write it off as, "oh whatever, I'm just here for their views on the game". Why do you think so many alt right people were behind GamerGate? 

So yeah, guys like MauLer or Razorfist are scum. Edgy blowhards.

I cant say his video's are "alt right" or even leaning that way cause honestly I dont care to watch a 12 hour sprawling critque of someone eles's critique. His tweets and followers tend to lean that way though. 

Either he is too dumb to understand the original Alien/Aliens films or he does and he is catering to the "anti woke" crowd. When that same crowd chimes in with stuff like this 

or 

or 

Never a correction,never a "woah guys, thats not at all what I meant". Hes activly courting them.

And this jem

He totally misses the point of this scene and jumps right to "white men oppressed". If he was half way decent at his job he would understand that to her outside perspective she is correct but hes placing the readers knowledge on this character.

I am also gonna say that everyone has a different level of what they can accept from "entertainers" when it comes to the "entertainers" views or past. 

I will absolutly rock out black metal that veers way off into racism and worse. I will never not watch The Apartment Trilogy, Polanski is fucking scumbag that deserves eternity on a Catherine Wheel but he makes a damn good film.

38 minutes ago, Brick said:

so you can not just write it off as, "oh whatever, I'm just here for their views on the game".

I can when it is for something like dark souls where there isn't a plot or plot isn't the focus. Critiquing game design is far different than critiquing a story. 

14 hours ago, Brick said:

Well excuse me for not remembering the exact reason why I wrote him off years ago :rolleyes:

Also alt right isn't the same as right leaning, so no it isn't 75m people, and most people don't have them in their family or friends group. 

Being alt right would also impact one's views on a game or movie, so yeah it does matter, especially when so many of them have issues with minorities and women, so you can not just write it off as, "oh whatever, I'm just here for their views on the game". Why do you think so many alt right people were behind GamerGate? 

So yeah, guys like MauLer or Razorfist are scum. Edgy blowhards.

I am yet to meet a Trump voter I haven't considered an alt right nutbag. But again, yes, if you can't remember what makes him bad, Don't bring it up. If you had a direct reason, that's fine. 

Also, how the hell do you expect a popular youtube figure to correct and police his twitter followers? Like, most of these people post and move on. People don't read and interact with everyone who replies to them. Especially when they get hundreds or more. Its not his job. Using replies to his post as an indictment of him is ridiculous.

• 1 month later...

So, Dragon Boy's next video is over 8 hours long. What that tells me is the he has forgotten how to critique video games and is just needlessly retelling the entire story and every branching path. He probably won't even critique it all that much. It was the same shit in the TW2 video. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I still think his Witcher 2 video was less focused and more meandering. I wonder how I'll feel about his witcher 3 video since I feel as his witcher series went on it was less critique and more of a review and a literal retelling of the series. On top of that was the more frequent injection of headcanon ideas that he feels are better. Like, "this is how the game did it now here is my idea and my idea is totally better and here is why." It is pretty hard not to do that and I don't mind it to some degree, but it can be overdone and I feel that is has. At that point it feels like less of a critique and more of pompous, "Look how better my ideas are? Aren't I great?"

That's why I feel The Salt Factory is a midcore critic. I don't care how much better your ideas or your mothers would be. 

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I still think his Witcher 2 video was less focused and more meandering. I wonder how I'll feel about his witcher 3 video since I feel as his witcher series when on it was less critique and more of a review and a literal retelling of the series. On top of that was the more frequent injection of headcanon ideas that he feels are better. Like, "this is how the game did it now here is my idea and my idea is totally better and here is why." It is pretty hard not to do that and I don't mind it to some degree, but it can be overdone and I feel that is has. At that point it feels like less of a critique and more of pompous, "Look how better my ideas are? Aren't I great?"

That's why I feel The Salt Factory is a midcore critic. I don't care how much better your ideas or your mothers would be. 

What are you your feelings about Noah Caldwell-Gervais?  I think he really does seem to stick pretty closely to what you're describing.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What are you your feelings about Noah Caldwell-Gervais?  I think he really does seem to stick pretty closely to what you're describing.

No idea. Never heard of the fellow. But I see he has a gears of war video so I know what I'm watching.