Videogame critique/commentary/analysis/documentary channels

Commissar SFLUFAN

Since this is getting bumped I'm going to recommend two not at all gaming channels, but are presented as gaming channels.

Tier Zoo

The channel basically presents itself as a game analysis channel for the real world.

Foolish Baseball

Similar to the ones one, but for baseball. I love this channel so much and it's criminal he doesn't have more subscribers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Guess I never mentioned them before, but I always liked Extra Credits, especially their earlier videos. They have a new host now, and while still good, I really don't like the way he talks.

He presents...like this...TO SHOW...and seemingly to emphasize...important points....he's trying TO MAKE.

Take a listen and you'll hear what I mean, but I will still state that while a little annoying, the content of the videos themselves are still good.

2 minutes ago, Brick said:

Guess I never mentioned them before, but I always liked Extra Credits, especially their earlier videos. They have a new host now, and while still good, I really don't like the way he talks.

He presents...like this...TO SHOW...and seemingly to emphasize...important points....he's trying TO MAKE.

Take a listen and you'll hear what I mean, but I will still state that while a little annoying, the content of the videos themselves are still good.

I liked their series on the Early Christian Heresies 

I found the new video hard to follow. I don't have much memory of the events of the game, and that just confused me more. Never did the Roach side of things and that just made things more confusing. I feel like I need to play TW2 again to even understand the video he made. What I did get from the video is that I feel like I made the right choice siding with the Elf, but I really hate the Elves. Like, when I play it again one day, I'll probably still pick Elf just so I can import that into TW3. 

The video made me realize I want a remake of all three witcher games that are made with a finished story from the ground up. I feel that the story would be a lot more limited, but that's fine. I feel like it would be weird to have 1 and 2  be remade just to fit in with the story of TW3 due to TW3 then being the oldest looking game of the bunch.

What is weird is that I remember much more of TW1 than I do of the other games. I remembered almost everything about TW1 when I was watching the last video, but I still only have these vague memories of TW2/3. 

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One thing I don't agree with is that NKB says quest markers should be turned off by default, with an option to turn them on. And well, it seems to me that he would rather map markers not be in the game. If he wants the option to turn them off then that is fine, but off by default or not at all would just turn people away. Assuming the game would be exactly the same, all that would happen is that people would switch to guides to fine the exact locations instead of needlessly exploring.

The real solution that would be to get rid of most pin-point map markers and then replace them with an AoE map marker. In the example he provided, the general area was stated by the NPC. That general area should then be highlighted and then you explore to find the entrance. Of course if you have already been there then a pin-point marker should be used instead. A lot of people want to explore, but they don't want to get lost. 

One thing he seemed to be hinting at, which is something I really hoped is fixed in TES6, is that I hope it isn't just The Elder Scrolls VI: Oblivion 3: Skyrim 2. Skyrim was a lesser game because it felt like Oblivion 2. So much of Skyrim felt like a continuation of Oblivion. I am sure people would cry about it, but how about have totally different factions this time around. So much of the more involved side content just felt unoriginal to the series. I really don't care about the dark brotherhood anymore. I don't care about becoming a master thief once again. Instead of the scholarly mage shit, do something more pagan with more mysticism. The shit like the fighters guild or the companions should be changed to something more militaristic. I know, there is shit like the Blades, and picking between red and blue, but I'd really like to feel like a soldier for a change. Like really feel a part of a fantastical military.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple more essayists for your consideration

RagnarRox focuses on the critique/analysis of horror games, older games, and obscure titles.  His latest video essay was released today about the fantastic The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay/Dark Athena:

Jacob Geller is perhaps the most intellectual of all the video game-related video essayists that I follow.  His essays are consistently thought-provoking and engage with social commentary.  This one about Judaism and "Whiteness" in the new Wolfenstein series is great example of his approach to video game critique/analysis:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 8:20 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I particularly liked the end of the video. I only played the most recent of the newer Wolfenstein games, but it did strike me as odd that despite being a game about minorities killing nazis there is very little acknowledgement that BJ is Jewish. I wish the essayist had tried to offer some insight into why the game might have been made this way, since I found it confusing while playing the game and am even more baffled after watching the video.