~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

I mean surely that won't count if the dosage is expiring right? If not, Cuomo is a fucking moron.

What about the american administrative state makes you think there's gonna be carve outs that don't require miles of paperwork signed in triplicate with the PII of the persons giving and receiving the vaccine out of order? Or that we aren't going to start charging nurses with wasting vaccine because they can't deviate from the priority list? Or both?

We're far more concerned with maladministration of getting shots in the right arms than the maladministration of not getting enough vaccines out there in enough arms.

There's a good thesis growing here that this is the inevitable result of the means tested austerity constrained administrative state, the perfect culmination of the last 40 years of our politics distilled into one dystopian anecdote.

download-1609195263.jpg?crop=0.770xw:0.7
WWW.WLKY.COM

A Louisville woman was among those to receive the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine after a handful were made available to the general public at a Walgreens. The company said they were given out of necessity.

This happened in Kentucky. I guess the point being made by Beshar is that there is no reason a long-term care facility couldn't be contacted as opposed to just announcing to the public to come get shots.

7 minutes ago, Joe said:
download-1609195263.jpg?crop=0.770xw:0.7
WWW.WLKY.COM

A Louisville woman was among those to receive the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine after a handful were made available to the general public at a Walgreens. The company said they were given out of necessity.

This happened in Kentucky. I guess the point being made by Beshar is that there is no reason a long-term care facility couldn't be contacted as opposed to just announcing to the public to come get shots.

I get the point they're trying to make, but unless they've got a centralized location to direct where shots go, calling facility to facility to find out if they need a half dozen more shots seems like a giant pain in the ass that these people would be tasked to do in addition to (assuming here) their other job duties

I'm not a big fan of contracting out the distribution effort to cvs and walgreens either for that matter. I'd sooner train up the people at chick fil a with a couple nurses on site and have people come through the drive thrus in record time.

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I get the point they're trying to make, but unless they've got a centralized location to direct where shots go, calling facility to facility to find out if they need a half dozen more shots seems like a giant pain in the ass that these people would be tasked to do in addition to (assuming here) their other job duties

I'm not a big fan of contracting out the distribution effort to cvs and walgreens either for that matter. I'd sooner train up the people at chick fil a with a couple nurses on site and have people come through the drive thrus in record time.

If we had functional government in this country there'd be a central facility where hospitals, pharmacies, etc could report that they have doses going bad soon, and the centralized facility could then randomly select people off a list of people who've said they want to be vaccinated to let them know to get over to the hospital or whatever.

bloombergquint%2F2018-08%2F3a8e2237-2edb
WWW.BLOOMBERGQUINT.COM

Pfizer Backs Two-Dose Vaccine Schedule After U.K. Shift

I hadn't realized that the UK had decided to space out the shots. Pfizer and the director of the FDA's vaccination office are apparently very much against this, but Fauci admits that this plan is being considered here. Hopefully we come around!

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

If we had functional government in this country there'd be a central facility where hospitals, pharmacies, etc could report that they have doses going bad soon, and the centralized facility could then randomly select people off a list of people who've said they want to be vaccinated to let them know to get over to the hospital or whatever.

I mean fuck if we're thinking like that there'd be an online or sms sign up state by state where you give your phone number, age, and county, and you get binned by age, and you get updates and confirm appointment for getting a vaccine. It's a solved problem but our states can't make the money printer go brrrr so we just get trash as usual.

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

I hadn't realized that the UK had decided to space out the shots. Pfizer and the director of the FDA's vaccination office are apparently very much against this, but Fauci admits that this plan is being considered here. Hopefully we come around!

People should get their shots on the recommended schedule, Pfizer said on Thursday, warning “there is no data to demonstrate that protection after the first dose is sustained after 21 days.”

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think the efficacy after the first dose of the vaccine is only 50%. 

Approximately, however, there’s no studies as to whether or not that efficacy is sustained if only a single dose is given. Afaik, the only studies for long term efficacy are with both doses - this doesn’t mean it’s not sustainable, of course: there’s just no data either way.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Approximately, however, there’s no studies as to whether or not that efficacy is sustained if only a single dose is given. Afaik, the only studies for long term efficacy are with both doses - this doesn’t mean it’s not sustainable, of course: there’s just no data either way.

And the only reason it's being floated is to try to make up for how balls-slow the rollout has been up until now.

I'm on board with doing the just-in-time distribution for the second doses once the vaccine output gains a track record of staying steady without hiccups but this just feels like compounding failure with more failure.

1 hour ago, SilentWorld said:

Of the efficacy of injecting just one dose. It hasn’t been studied. 

Yes it has

Summary

•There has been a rapid increase in COVID-19 cases in the UK in December 2020

•Two vaccines now have MHRA Regulation 174 authorisation (Pfizer-BioNTech and AstraZeneca)

•Rapid delivery of the vaccines is required to protect those most vulnerable

•Short term vaccine efficacy from the first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is calculated at around 90%, short term vaccine efficacy from the first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine is calculated at around 70% (efficacy estimates are not directly comparable between the two vaccines)

•Given the high level of protection afforded by the first dose, models suggest that initially vaccinating a greater number of people with a single dose will prevent more deaths and hospitalisations than vaccinating a smaller number of people with two doses

•The second dose is still important to provide longer lasting protection and is expected to be as or more effective when delivered at an interval of 12 weeks from the first dose

That's from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) in the UK. They are going with first dose priority rollout.

1 minute ago, SilentWorld said:

That’s not data that’s a press release. 

I would’ve thought the Brits would’ve learned by now not to fuck around with this virus, but I guess not. I hope my government tries to adhere (as closely as reasonably possible) to Pfizer’s recommendations. 

It's literally data. Did you scroll down?

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

the city that never sleeps everyone

The thing that really gets me is that the night "shutdown" that they're doing to disinfect the trains is not actually a shutdown because the subway was built with the assumption that it would always run 24/7, and there isn't enough space to store all the trains somewhere, so they're just keeping empty trains running. And also, if you're a cop you can still use them.

11 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

The thing that really gets me is that the night "shutdown" that they're doing to disinfect the trains is not actually a shutdown because the subway was built with the assumption that it would always run 24/7, and there isn't enough space to store all the trains somewhere, so they're just keeping empty trains running. And also, if you're a cop you can still use them.

It was an excuse to kick homeless people out of the system overnight. 

• Guillotine 1

a8fffcd6-935a-47b4-910e-74148b3ad609_16-
WWW.FARODEVIGO.ES

El Instituto Portugués de Oncología de Oporto, donde trabajaba la fallecida, asegura que no sufrió "un efecto indeseable" después de administrarle la vacuna el 30 de diciembre

I guess this is going to be news relatively soon once other media outlets pick it up. A woman in Portugal died two days after taking the Pfizer vaccine (she took it on the 30th of December and died January 1st). They literally have no details on her death yet, but I'm sure this will be blown out of proportion.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:
a8fffcd6-935a-47b4-910e-74148b3ad609_16-
WWW.FARODEVIGO.ES

El Instituto Portugués de Oncología de Oporto, donde trabajaba la fallecida, asegura que no sufrió "un efecto indeseable" después de administrarle la vacuna el 30 de...

I guess this is going to be news relatively soon once other media outlets pick it up. A woman in Portugal died two days after taking the Pfizer vaccine (she took it on the 30th of December and died January 1st). They literally have no details on her death yet, but I'm sure this will be blown out of proportion.

Thanks Bill Gates!