Update: DoD and Iraqi officials believe Ukrainian airliner was accidentally shot down by Iranian Tor M-1 SAM

4 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Regardless of who started it, Iran just killed a bunch of US allies. I'll be eager to see what the response is going to be.

The source for this being the US government, which totally wouldn't lie about this...

12 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

It was purely accidental - absolutely nothing is going to happen other than some mean words.

And unfortunately, manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide are totally cool when it’s the government doing the killing.

It increasingly looks like Iran accidentally shot down an airliner.  A military response would be asinine.

Howver, I predict the Iranian investigation will be continually blocked, evidence will disappear, and will officially conclude a mechanical failure.  The victims families will never receive an apology, nor any compensation.

Plot twist: Canada declares war on Iran and embarks on a savagely bloodthirsty mountie attack the world has seldom seen. Heavily armored moose equipped with double flaks utterly baffle Iranian resistance into inaction and ultimately submission. Donald Trump thanks himself for America's northern-most state having done a fantastic, really good, best job. 

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It increasingly looks like Iran accidentally shot down an airliner.  A military response would be asinine.

Howver, I predict the Iranian investigation will be continually blocked, evidence will disappear, and will officially conclude a mechanical failure.  The victims families will never receive an apology, nor any compensation.

This seems like the most realistic outcome on all fronts to me as well.

34 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Regardless of who started it, Iran just killed a bunch of US allies. I'll be eager to see what the response is going to be.

Considering  those allies felt the US shouldn't have been stirring shit up needlessly with Iran....I'm betting we catch more than a bit of their ire over this as well.

The only possible retribution for this will come in the form of lawsuits filed in Canada (or other countries) by the families of the passengers against Iran. Assets that are tied to the Iranian government could be seized to pay for settlements.

I am not saying this is likely (and it will take years, especially with lack of evidence coming from Iran), but it's probably the most likely "good" outcome.

I mean, that's correct. There MUST be an investigation. We just do not have all the pieces together yet. 

MH17's investigation took years. 

Open Source Intelligence Analysis can provide an idea of WHAT happened relatively quickly. But why it happened, who did it, and the events that occurred that lead up to the shootdown is a long, arduous journey.

The US created the environment that allowed this to happen. 

Much like Russia created the environment in Eastern Ukraine that allowed separatists to shoot down MH17. 

The SAM operators themselves certainly deserve some blame, but the progenitor of the conflict cannot be ignored.

There are a long line of moments where this could have been averted, and the closer you get to the incident the more blame that can be put on those moments. So Trump certainly does share some blame for the conditions that led to this, as a result of the drone assasination, but not nearly as much as Iran for doing the ultimate act of firing a missile after not shutting down airports. Go back one step further than Trump's orders and you can also put blame on the military staff who even gave Trump the option (which was allegedly only given to make their preferred choices seem more reasonable), not suspecting that he may in fact use that option.