Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

17 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think you guys are making the wrong analogies. And talking about cameras, there are huge camera snobs out there.

PC gamers don't love PCs for the parts. PC gamers like peak performance. Just as Martin Scorsese could probably want to shoot his movies on a RED Digital Camera rather than a point and shoot Olympus camera because he wants his movies to look as nice as possible.

And that's his prerogative... But Marty Scorsese has gone on record repeatedly praising the technology that allows young filmmakers to just go out and shoot their films with whatever they have access to. His point is to just MAKE THE FILM. He doesn't care wtf you shoot it on and he doesn't look down on filmmakers who don't use the most cutting edge technology. Also if Marty had his way, he'd still be using the primitive technology of actual FILM.

37 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's this.. group called "Friends and Family" that some homo sapiens belong to. These beings are real life, flesh and blood creatures that we interact with everyday as opposed to the ones that exist in the internet and on screens and yes, some of those people play games. So it makes sense to have multiple machines especially when you come from a rather large family like myself with siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews who all want to game at the same time. For instance I'm playing my PS4 now, my nephew is upstairs playing The Switch and another nephew is playing Fortnite on you guessed it, another PS4. I don't even have kids of my own and multiple machines are nice to have. So would you suggest that we buy multiple gaming PC's in a house full of gamers?

The fact that you believe this is such a problem kind of a sad reflection of the lack of split screen gaming today.  Why do we feel kids each need their own $300+ devices and TVs in order to play together?  It's turning social gaming into a LAN party as a prerequisite, with all the associated costs and hurdles.  At least Fortnite is split screen on consoles... you do know that right?

As for everyone in the family having their own gaming device for SP stuff, I think that's a problem that portables solved previously.  I'd be much more inclined to buy multiple Switches (even the Lite) and their expensive as hell controllers than set top box duplicates.  And with PCs, at least there is productivity outside of gaming.  It can make more sense to own several in one household.

Buy hey, at least we're seeing many more games becoming cross-play compatible nowadays.  There's less reason than ever before to buy multiples of any platform.  Get different stuff, still play together.

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And that's his prerogative... But Marty Scorsese has gone on record repeatedly praising the technology that allows young filmmakers to just go out ans shoot their films with whatever they have access to. He's point is to just MAKE THE FILM. He doesn't care wtf you shoot it on and he doesn't look down on filmmakers who don't use the most cutting edge technology. Also if Marty had his way, he'd still be using the primitive technology of actual FILM.

Ok Mr. Film snob. I was just using someone off the top of my head!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

The fact that you believe this is such a problem kind of a sad reflection of the lack of split screen gaming today.  Why do we feel the kids all need their own $300+ devices plus their own TVs in order to play together?  It's turning social gaming into a LAN party as a prerequisite, with all the associated costs and hurdles.  At least Fortnite is split screen on consoles... you do know that right? What in god's name does split screen gaming have to do with kids playing different games? One is playing Fortnite, one is playing Zelda and another is watching Korean Boy band shit on her phone. 

As for everyone in the family having their own gaming device for SP stuff, I think that's the problem that portables solved previously.  I'd be much more inclined to buy multiple Switches (even the Lite) / more controllers than console duplicates and extra TVs/monitors. Good luck finding Switches out in the wild.  The only reason I got mine was because @JPDunks4 snagged two and sold me one. Otherwise I wouldn't have the one I have. Even the Switch Lite is hard to  find.

Buy hey, at least we're seeing many more games becoming cross-play compatible nowadays.  There's less reason than ever before to buy multiples of any platform.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The fact that you believe this is such a problem kind of a sad reflection of the lack of split screen gaming today.  Why do we each need our own $300+ devices plus our own TVs in order to play together?  It's turning social gaming into a LAN party as a prerequisite, with all the associated costs and hurdles.  At least Fortnite is split screen on consoles... you do know that right?

As for everyone in the family having their own gaming device, I think that's the problem that portables solved previously.  I'd be much more inclined to buy multiple Switches (even the Lite) / more controllers than console duplicates and extra TVs/monitors.

Buy hey, at least we're seeing many more games becoming cross-play compatible nowadays.  There's less reason than ever before to buy multiples of any platform.

Split screening died when the visual fidelity increase and game complexity upped its game. Having a single console do 2 1080p outputs is just not feasible for most games.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Ok Mr. Film snob. I was just using someone off the top of my head!

You would have been better off using George Lucas or James Cameron or Robert Rodriguez... those guys embraced technology and even THEY encourage young filmmakers to shoot with whatever they have including Iphones. For a long time I refused to shoot digitally because when I was in school, I shot all of my stuff on actual film... 16mm and 35mm. The tech finally got good enough that I have no problem shooting digitally and I'm probably gonna buy another digital camera by the end of the year... need to get those write offs yo.

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Split screening died when the visual fidelity increase and game complexity upped its game. Having a single console do 2 1080p outputs is just no feasible for most game.

It died long before that.  Split screen games have always scaled back fidelity.  We have dynamic resolution now too.

25 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Only filmmakers who use cameras that cost AT LEAST $60,000.00 are actual filmmakers despite how well their movies do or are received. Shoot an award winning film on an Iphone or DSLR Camera that costs less than 10 grand? You're just a lazy wannabe filmmaker.  You need that RED 6K yo.

Clerks wasn’t a real film yo

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

It died long before that.  Split screen games have always scaled back fidelity.  We have dynamic resolution now too.

Systems like the basic PS4 and Xbox are as scaled back as they already can be. And lets be honest Devs are not gonna spend the time and effort for something a very small fraction of the consumer base will ever use.

25 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Systems like the basic PS4 and Xbox are as scaled back as they already can be. And lets be honest Devs are not gonna spend the time and effort for something a very small fraction of the consumer base will ever use.

Relative to what...  Low spec PCs?  The N64?  Modern games could be scaled back further for split screen modes, no doubt.

And for no one using local play modes, that’s a self fulfilling prophecy. Imagine if Nintendo had that attitude building the Wii.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

I have friends sometimes visit and stay with me on weekends, and having an Xbox in the family room and office allow us to game together.  If all I had was a Gaming PC, those experiences go away.

PC gaming is great, but the conveniences that my Xbox gives me in sharing that gaming experience with my nephews and other family and friends is far more valuable to me than the added frames or graphical features. 

To reiterate: You have two Xbox's, and say you need the both of them to game together.  If all you had was one PC, those experiences go away.

You're comparing 2 Xbox’s to 1 PC.  Isn’t the more apt comparison 2 to 2? 

... LAN parties were a thing on PC long before they were on consoles.  It's never gone away.  And you don’t need monster rigs for it.  Heck, use a laptop, that way you can socialize in the same room. :p

43 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

To reiterate: You have two Xbox's, and say you need the both of them to game together.  If all you had was one PC, those experiences go away.

You're comparing 2 to 1.  Shouldn't you be comparing 2 Xbox's to 2 PCs?  

After all, LAN parties were a thing on PCs long before they were on consoles.  It's never gone away.  And you don’t need monster rigs or anything to do it.

That's the point.  A 2nd Xbox that was $300.  Buying mutliple Xbox's and having them around for convenience is far more realistic than buying mutliple gaming PCs and having them scattered about.  Especially when my friend has an Xbox account he can login to to have access to his games, as he's not a PC gamer. 

All my gamer friends are more casual gamers that typically just play CoDs or whatever the big mutliplayer games are.  None of them gamed on PC or even know what Steam was.  That was until I told them to download it on their shit PCs to buy C&C Remastered cause we all played that back in the late 90s.  Also introduced them to Discord.

It's not really a PC vs Console debate.  They both have their advantages for me.  I do think generally speaking big solo experiences like Cyberpunk I will probably get on PC.  I played Fallen Order on PC. And as you said, with Cross Play, I may tend to get more multiplayer games on PC now too.  I love gaming on my PC and do hope cross play and cross progression is the standard going forward.  But some other games I know my nephews will enjoy I buy on Xbox as well for game share, or if cross play isn't a guarantee.  My sister won't buy games for them, so typically what I buy is what they get to play.  

I just really enjoy all the platforms.  Wherever you prefer to play to suit your needs doesn't make where someone else plays any less "serious". 

• Thanks 1

The misnomer is that you need two ‘gaming PC’s to have fun in the same way.  I’ve done plenty of local LAN stuff over the years with bad computers, laptops, even Macs lol.  It doesn’t take much to match a One S nowadays.

And honestly, it’s all still a bit worse today from a value standpoint.  I still remember being able to play Blizzard RTSs LAN with 4-8 people to a single purchased copy of the game.  And it was totally legit too.  Nintendo used to do something similar with download play on their handhelds. 

We can agree that cross play us improving things nowadays.  But I still think there’s room for improvement.  It’s the F2P games like TF2 and Fortnite that are the most conscientious about that now, carrying over the idea that you shouldn’t have to own the game to play it multiplayer.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That is why Big Picture mode exists

Big picture mode is limited to steam games. You're going to use Windows to move between stores and do any media watching you want. I say this as someone whose gaming PC is always connected to the TV in my living room.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I totally agree with you and I take your point but to me it's not "I think". The advantages do objectively outweigh the limitations. "Fuss"? "More work"? We're gamers. This is our hobby. That's what I originally meant by "serious gamer" that everyone else seems to have taken defensively because some are apparently insecure towards logic. They're just computers. Learn. If someone isn't willing to put in some work and thinks those kinds of reasons are enough to stop them in this hobby, then yeah, I think that's less enthusiasm. And that's what I'm calling out, lazy hobbyists. :p 

I don't think you can make an objective argument here. There's no single correct weighting of multiple objective functions.

I also don't think it's just a matter of learning. I understand computers, lets say, pretty well :p So I know, or could easily learn, how to do various gaming related things on the PC. The (potential) issue is the PC just requires more of my time than a console does. I have never fussed with optimizing performance on a console, but I absolutely do do it on a gaming PC. Sometimes I do that just because I have some performance/IQ preferences, while the default settings would have been fine. Sometimes I do it because the game just didn't perform well out of the box on my system, or because its default is something way under the bar and I can easily get more IQ without any performance loss. That means I'm just spending more time fussing with the game and my PC instead of playing it.

That's not mentioning the (fortunately uncommon) occasions when a game is just broke for your configuration and you have to do research online to see if there is a workaround, or wait for a patch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's this.. group called "Friends and Family" that some homo sapiens belong to. These beings are real life, flesh and blood creatures that we interact with everyday as opposed to the ones that exist in the internet and on screens and yes, some of those people play games. So it makes sense to have multiple machines especially when you come from a rather large family like myself with siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews who all want to game at the same time. For instance I'm playing my PS4 now, my nephew is upstairs playing The Switch and another nephew is playing Fortnite on you guessed it, another PS4. I don't even have kids of my own and multiple machines are nice to have. So would you suggest that we buy multiple gaming PC's in a house full of gamers?

We DID buy one of nephews a gaming laptop for graduating high school this year so at least HE will achieve the status of "Serious Gamer" or "Enthusiast" or whatever jargon we're tossing out to make ourselves feel superior today. 

Clearly people who only collect physical comics aren't real comic collectors because digital comics exist... get with the program yo.

@skillzdadirecta but he didn't build the laptop = lazy gamer

25 minutes ago, legend said:

Big picture mode is limited to steam games. You're going to use Windows to move between stores and do any media watching you want. I say this as someone whose gaming PC is always connected to the TV in my living room.

You can open other game launchers and Kodi from Steam.

Or just pay for Launchbox for a better big screen mode.  It can auto import games on Origin/Epic/GoG/Steam with launcher shortcuts to install and play.  Also remembers what is installed.

17 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

You can open other game launchers and Kodi from Steam.

Or just pay for Launchbox for a better big screen mode.  It can auto import games on Origin/Epic/GoG/Steam with launcher shortcuts to install and play.  Even remembers what is installed.

I find opening other game launchers a little brittle. I dislike that Ubisoft games, for example, launch from steam into Uplay, and then into the game because it doesn't actually always work smoothly. It also means you're now managing games bought from different places and centralizing them, which means you're still dipping into Windows.

There are lots of attempts to do better. For example, GoG Galaxy 2 is kinda cool. But it's just no where near as streamlined I really do not see any future where you can just avoid the Windows GUI altogether.

13 minutes ago, legend said:

I find opening other game launchers a little brittle. I dislike that Ubisoft games, for example, launch from steam into Uplay, and then into the game because it doesn't actually always work smoothly. It also means you're now managing games bought from different places and centralizing them, which means you're still dipping into Windows.

There are lots of attempts to do better. For example, GoG Galaxy 2 is kinda cool. But it's just no where near as streamlined I really do not see any future where you can just avoid the Windows GUI altogether.

That’s why I keep bringing up Launchbox.  It essentially let’s you do what GoG Galaxy 2 does, but with a better big picture mode than Steam.

I can’t avoid the Windows UI entirely, since adding new game purchases depends it.  But if I’m just in the mood to play something, I fire up the ‘BigBox’ app and go.

It’s hilarious how every time somebody explains why they don’t want to or don’t use their PC as their primary platform, other people try and convince them of the flaw in their thinking by explaining the workarounds to the hoops you have to jump through.

That is the point. I like that I can just plug the thing in and have it work the way I want, instead of spending time trying to recreate that experience on a platform that is intentionally NOT like that.

Wow, so everyone skipped the part where I said: "if you have a good reason not to do it, like a lack of money or something, then it makes sense". Cool, good job guys, reading comprehension.

I said, in the event you don't have a good reason to buy a PC (reasons that have been outlined among users here like lack of money or sharing for the family), then of course you do you the best you can. Because otherwise, why aren't you getting a PC?

But please, everyone continue to be reductive and make arguments I'm not making. You know, like saying a person isn't a real filmmaker if they don't use $60,000 cameras. Yeah, because that's the same thing as maximizing your enjoyment/experience of something that one says they are a huge fan of. And no one has even bothered to really break down how my initial logic is wrong, everyone just wants to make straw man arguments it seems.

1 hour ago, legend said:

I don't think you can make an objective argument here. There's no single correct weighting of multiple objective functions.

I also don't think it's just a matter of learning. I understand computers, lets say, pretty well :p So I know, or could easily learn, how to do various gaming related things on the PC. The (potential) issue is the PC just requires more of my time than a console does. I have never fussed with optimizing performance on a console, but I absolutely do do it on a gaming PC. Sometimes I do that just because I have some performance/IQ preferences, while the default settings would have been fine. Sometimes I do it because the game just didn't perform well out of the box on my system, or because its default is something way under the bar and I can easily get more IQ without any performance loss. That means I'm just spending more time fussing with the game and my PC instead of playing it.

That's not mentioning the (fortunately uncommon) occasions when a game is just broke for your configuration and you have to do research online to see if there is a workaround, or wait for a patch.

But I don't really spend more time fussing with my PC (after initial setup) than I do with my PS4. I still go through all the options the game provides in game in both instances and I'm rarely spending any real notable amount of time more tinkering on PC than I do playing on console.

And "PC requires more time" is a lame excuse to miss out on all the things PC does better. That's my point - if you're a gamer, without a good reason, why do that trade off? It doesn't make sense. I think there is a correct weighing of multiple objective functions because like with anything different things should/do take priority over others. Presumably a "serious gamer" cares more about games variety and selection than initial hardware costs. Presumably a serious gamer cares more about the best graphical and aural experience as can be had in the game, which means a need for the most powerful hardware. Presumably a serious gamer cares more about future proofing their hardware than buying a new console system every few years. I mean, I'd question the priority of a serious gamer who doesn't care about these things. You don't have to care about these things, but they do matter regardless.

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s hilarious how every time somebody explains why they don’t want to or don’t use their PC as their primary platform, other people try and convince them of the flaw in their thinking by explaining the workarounds you the hoops you have to jump through.

That is the point. I like that I can just plug the thing in and have it work the way I want, instead of spending time trying to recreate that experience on a platform that is intentionally NOT like that.

As I just said . . . I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. If someone is so lazy they prefer the ability for something "to plug in and work" instead of just using a PC which has numerous benefits aside from the fact it can't just "plug in and play" (which, after initial setup, is exactly what a PC does) then they should go do that. Doesn't make the logic I'm pointing out any less true. But nor am I dictating to anyone what they should do. Don't PC game if you don't want to, but without good reason, I believe that decision/choice has logical implications.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

As I just said . . . I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. If someone is so lazy they prefer the ability for something "to plug in and work" instead of just using a PC which has numerous benefits aside from the fact it can't just "plug in and play" (which, after initial setup, is exactly what a PC does) then they should go do that. Doesn't make the logic I'm pointing out any less true. 

Yeah, like when a Windows update breaks something and I have to spend an hour rolling stuff back in hopes of fixing it.

Or that time Microsoft randomly decided to truncate certain kinds of database files from 64 characters to 40 and broke a wide range of software for months.

I really don’t get why people pretend that the OC experience does not involve a different level of effort. It’s like iOS and Android. Android people have for years tried to convince me of how great it is because you can customize this or that.

I don’t want to customize this or that, I want a cohesive experience that professionals have crafted. The choose your own adventure landscape of PC gaming simply does not appeal to large swaths of people. I probably have a better PC than 99.9% of people here and I still will usually choose to lay on my bed playing the Xbox than sit at the desk playing on the PC.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

That’s why I keep bringing up Launchbox.  It essentially let’s you do what GoG Galaxy 2 does, but with a better big picture mode than Steam.

I can’t avoid the Windows UI entirely, since adding new game purchases depends it.  But if I’m just in the mood to play something, I fire up the ‘BigBox’ app and go.

I'll take a look at it! But indeed, I don't think the Windows GUI can be fully excised.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah, like when a Windows update breaks something and I have to spend an hour rolling stuff back in hopes of fixing it.

Or that time Microsoft randomly decided to truncate certain kinds of database files from 64 characters to 40 and broke a wide range of software for months.

I really don’t get why people pretend that the OC experience does not involve a different level of effort. It’s like iOS and Android. Android people have for years tried to convince me of how great it is because you can customize this or that.

I don’t want to customize this or that, I want a cohesive experience that professionals have crafted. The choose your own adventure landscape of PC gaming simply does not appeal to large swaths of people. I probably have a better PC than 99.9% of people here and I still will usually choose to lay on my bed playing the Xbox than sit at the desk playing on the PC.

I don't run into any of these problems with either my PC or my Android. Not once. Simple, easy upkeep, no different than what I'd do with maintaining my car or other electronics. I think you have a very outmodded idea of the PC experience. It's very easy and simple and an excellent experience. I wouldn't be saying that I can never go back after switching to a powerful PC a few years ago unless I truly thought so.

I'm good with computers but not out of the ordinary for a serious gamer. Anything I know anyone else could easily learn and it's worth it once you do. You may not want the PC experience, but it's still objectively better in gaming terms regardless of what people want out of their personal experiences.

2 minutes ago, ARZ said:

Wait...so people that play games on anything other than a PC they build by themselves are lazy?

Yes, to me they are lazy if they could get a PC and didn't. Without a good reason it just doesn't make sense not to do. My posts are pretty clear. Good reasons not too: will never be able to save up enough. Play with multiple family members on multiple TV's in the house. Something like that. Outside of such reasons, why not do it? 

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s hilarious how every time somebody explains why they don’t want to or don’t use their PC as their primary platform, other people try and convince them of the flaw in their thinking by explaining the workarounds to the hoops you have to jump through.

Not even close to the point I was trying to make.  It's just there as an option, should you want it.

Personally, I like video previews for my game library and wish the consoles would do more with the 'video snap' concept.  Likewise, I'd like to be able to turn on/turn off/switch TV inputs from a single device.  That's my dream future, where I don't even have to touch a TV remote or my phone power up a different machine and have my controller be usable wherever.

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

But I don't really spend more time fussing with my PC (after initial setup) than I do with my PS4. I still go through all the options the game provides in game in both instances and I'm rarely spending any real notable amount of time more tinkering on PC than I do playing on console.

And "PC requires more time" is a lame excuse to miss out on all the things PC does better. That's my point - if you're a gamer, without a good reason, why do that trade off? It doesn't make sense. I think there is a correct weighing of multiple objective functions because like with anything different things should/do take priority over others. Presumably a "serious gamer" cares more about games variety and selection than initial hardware costs. Presumably a serious gamer cares more about the best graphical and aural experience as can be had in the game, which means a need for the most powerful hardware. Presumably a serious gamer cares more about future proofing their hardware than buying a new console system every few years. I mean, I'd question the priority of a serious gamer who doesn't care about these things. You don't have to care about these things, but they do matter regardless.

The number of options I go through on PC, the benchmark tests within a game, etc. vastly dwarfs time I spend in a console option set, which pretty much consists of "Invert vertical axis" :p 

I don't think it's a lame excuse. *I* still prefer PC gaming, I'm with you there. But I totally get just wanting to get going without fuss and avoid the rarer more significant issues that can suck up a lot of your time.

Here's a semi recent example of one of the worse failure cases: Borderlands 3 on my PC has serious stutter issues if I run at >=60FPS. Its average will still be 60FPS (or greater if not capped), but it stutters a lot to the point that it very negatively impacts gaming (I hate micro stutter in general, but this was worse than micro stutter, it was like a loading issue). I ended up playing through most of the game capped at 30FPS because that didn't stutter. But I spent a fair amount of time trying to troubleshoot it, and even just finding that it went away at 30FPS. Many people reported similar issues online, but none of the workarounds suggested worked and I wasted hours trying to figure out what it's problem was and still never got a solution by the time I finished the game.

That's not the norm, but it happens often enough to point out. And then you have the other smaller issues.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This x 1000. Consoles give you the easiest and quickest way to play a game especially with the resume feature. It ain’t hard to understand. #Lazy4lifebud

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think you have a very outmodded idea of the PC experience. It's very easy and simple and an excellent experience. I wouldn't be saying that I can never go back after switching to a powerful PC a few years ago unless I truly thought so.

1. I run a 3900X/RTX2080ti set up that I recently built

2. The thing I described that MS screwed up happened in like the last 18 months

I’ve had high end gaming PCs for 15 years, I still 9 times out of 10 grab the Xbox controller and jump into a game with my Xbox owning buddies or my kids. 

There is nothing outmoded about my perspective, some people just don’t mind the upkeep.