At War With The Truth - confidential documents obtained by WaPo reveal that US officials misled public about ability to "win" in Afghanistan

“We were devoid of a fundamental understanding of Afghanistan — we didn’t know what we were doing,” Douglas Lute, a three-star Army general who served as the White House’s Afghan war czar during the Bush and Obama administrations, told government interviewers in 2015. He added: “What are we trying to do here? We didn’t have the foggiest notion of what we were undertaking.”

8 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

“We were devoid of a fundamental understanding of Afghanistan — we didn’t know what we were doing,” Douglas Lute, a three-star Army general who served as the White House’s Afghan war czar during the Bush and Obama administrations, told government interviewers in 2015. He added: “What are we trying to do here? We didn’t have the foggiest notion of what we were undertaking.”

Good lord...That's literally the story of every empire that's tried to take over Afghanistan.  Like, that's the exact same freaking mistake they all made.  Could you take a goddamn history class and read about the area you're trying to conquer before bounding off to war there next time, please?

We can’t nation build in Afghanistan. We should have bombed selective militant targets and left. No ground invasion. 

I remember back when Obama first took office, the media regularly reported our drone strikes in Pakistan and Afghanistan. I haven’t looked at the numbers, but if anyone knows, is this a reporting issue or did we actually cut our drone strikes to a small fraction of what they used to be?

10 hours ago, Massdriver said:

We can’t nation build in Afghanistan. We should have bombed selective militant targets and left. No ground invasion. 

I remember back when Obama first took office, the media regularly reported our drone strikes in Pakistan and Afghanistan. I haven’t looked at the numbers, but if anyone knows, is this a reporting issue or did we actually cut our drone strikes to a small fraction of what they used to be?

From what I've read there is a lot more drone activity now.