Grounded (aka "Honey, Obsidian Shrunk the Kids") - Information Thread, update: PS4/PS5/Switch release announced for April 16

Pikachu

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We are proud to reveal an all-new trailer for Grounded, our upcoming survival adventure game! On July 28th, go big or never go home.

Coming to Xbox Game Preview and Game Pass on Xbox one, as well as Xbox Game Pass PC, the Microsoft Store for PC, and Steam Early Access.

I've played a little bit of it, so far so good.

One bit of advice though that I learned the hard way; When you get to the little domed tent and it says to interact with the computer, use it to analyze the plant fiber. That will allow you to craft Woven Fiber, which is used in practically everything. I didn't know this, used the machine to analyze a pebble and two other things, then wandered off onto the next objective. The next thing I know, I can't make any tools, bandages, etc. because I need woven fiber and I didn't have the "blueprint" to craft it. I got lost and was in pretty dire straits by the time I managed to find the dome again.

It would've been pretty helpful to say "Hey, you might want to analyze X, X, and X" to get you started with the means to build basic things.

8 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I've been seeing a lot of Games Pass success stories over at ERA, especially for smaller scale games. So it does seem to be beneficial for smaller devs with smaller games to get onto GP to get their game and themselves out there. 

Several smaller developers have said that a Game Pass presence has directly led to an overall increase in sales.

5 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Several smaller developers have said that a Game Pass presence has directly led to an overall increase in sales.

Well the service is said to be up to 12-15 million subs now, and I expect that to just continue to grow later this year with Halo.

It should start to create a snowball effect, where the larger sub pool creates more success stories, and more developers wanting to get their games onto Game Pass.  Thus adding more content into Game Pass, driving to more subs, and more investment into content by Microsoft.

PS Now on it's own isn't a bad service at all, but for whatever reason, Sony seems okay with just giving this model away to Microosoft for now.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

PS Now on it's own isn't a bad service at all, but for whatever reason, Sony seems okay with just giving this model away to Microosoft for now.

I could see it working well for something like Dreams.  Games like The Last of Us 2 and Ghosts people are going to spend $60 on regardless.  (which would be as true for Gears, Halo, Fable if they weren’t also GP)

Microsoft’s better setting themselves up for games like this to succeed, no doubt.  There’s still chance of a dud though. (Bleeding Edge)

The spiders in this game have taught me to fear them. They can basically one shot you and they are huge and fast. My first two deaths were from wolf spiders, two different wolf spiders. Also, the game doesn't pause when you're in the menus. Closing the map only to see an enormous spider looking down at me was one of the biggest jump scares a game has ever given me.

4 minutes ago, jaethos said:

The spiders in this game have taught me to fear them. They can basically one shot you and they are huge and fast. My first two deaths were from wolf spiders, two different wolf spiders. Also, the game doesn't pause when you're in the menus. Closing the map only to see an enormous spider looking down at me was one of the biggest jump scares a game has ever given me.

Yep. If I see them I turn and run and even then they still kill you. :p

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Care to elaborate? :p

So minor spoilers for those who haven't done one of the opening quests which is to investigate this machine in the forest

Spoiler

So you investigate this machine, that causes an explosion. It leads you to a secret underground lab with SURPRISE! A wisecracking robot that you seem to see in every Obsidian game. Anyway, the robot's name is BURG.L and he enjoys "Grilling and cooking" and if you talk to him he says he only cooks it medium or medium rare and if you say well done, well I forget the direct quote but basically he says he'll fuck you up if you want a well done burger. :p

Will I ever get a tutorial message other than the one about blocking? That one might as well be on the screen permanently. It started flashing for me before I even had a weapon to equip, and now that I’ve got some weapons and have performed some “perfect blocks”, it still pops up whenever an enemy is close.