Nintendo promotes Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma

Pikachu

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-06-17-nintendo-promotes-zelda-producer-eiji-aonuma

Nintendo has quietly promoted some of its key staff, including one for The Legend of Zelda producer Eiji Anouma.

Aonuma will continue to be the producer of the Zelda series, but -- as Nintendo Life spotted -- he is now also a deputy general manager at the company.

This promotion follows Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the critical and commercial success of which must stand as one of the highpoints in Aonuma's career so far.

Hisashi Nogami, the producer of Splatoon, has also been promoted to the role of deputy general manager.

Aya Kyogoku, known for her work on the Animal Crossing series, is now manager of Production Group No. 5, which is responsible for Splatoon and Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons, the series' debut on the Switch, has been delayed from an expected 2019 release to March 2020. Speaking at E3 last week, Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser said the decision was taken as a way of maintaining a healthy work-life balance for the game's development team.

Eh let's not get carried away. Breath of the Wild had way too many problems to have "perfected" anything by any reasonable measure, but it was a big step in the right direction. I hope they learned lessons for the sequel and didn't just listen to all the blind praise or only take the lack of dungeon criticism to heart.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Eh let's not get carried away. Breath of the Wild had way too many problems to have "perfected" anything by any reasonable measure, but it was a big step in the right direction. I hope they learned lessons for the sequel and didn't just listen to all the blind praise or only take the lack of dungeon criticism to heart.

I would agree with this (regarding dungeons), but it is still nice to see long-term achievement recognised at Nintendo. 

On 6/18/2019 at 1:05 AM, Xbob42 said:

It's the best open world adventure game out there, so i'd disagree. 

27 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

It's the best open world adventure game out there, so i'd disagree. 

Even the best of something isn't perfect. That kind of settling-for-what-you-assume-is-the-best is what keeps things stagnating. "Welp, can't get better than this" is a statement that is literally never true. To get a better product, it is absolutely essential that flaws are seen and acknowledged.

But people who identify as the video games they love because of their crippling social issues or whatever take great personal offense when something isn't seen as absolutely perfect.

I didnt even like BotW. Zelda games have always been tightly directed adventures with the illusion of open world. Sure, you could run around and do things, but there was always that nudge to push the story forward.

BotW took all that and threw it out the window and it bored the hell outta me.

I know I'm bumping this, but I just stumbled on this video while on youtube. I think it does a pretty good job of going over some of my bigger gripes with BotW.

I highly recommend watching the whole thing. I can't really cut out times for specific context. He uses the strengths of one to show the weakness of the other, even referencing the older games at times.