Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (02/21): Shadow of the Erdtree DLC "Collector's Edition Messmer the Impaler Statue" trailer

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

The second half of the medallion is in Caelid? Shit I missed it. 

Doesn’t the description of the first half tell you where the second is? I got the other one first and it told me where to find the second half.

Question for you guys. Elden Ring is my first From Software game and I've really liked it. I tried Dark Souls early on and due to a really busy schedule I didn't get into the full level re-runs after every death of getting 1 shot by a boss.

That said, now that I've played and am nearing the finish of Elden Ring (I'm in the Mountain Top of the Giants). I'm considering trying another one. I have BloodBourne from PS+ so that feels like a natural next one to try. However there is also the Demon Souls Remaster and Sekiro to try. So my question is if I wanted to try another which do you recommend.

I really got to like the combat of Elden Ring once I got used to it. I loved the ability to explore and follow my curiosity vs following a set path. In fact my least favorite parts of the game are the legacy dungeons. Not that I hated them, but I liked the ability to see something neat in the world and go check it out or approach from an angle I felt best vs going from corridor A -> corridor B.

21 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

That said, now that I've played and am nearing the finish of Elden Ring (I'm in the Mountain Top of the Giants). I'm considering trying another one. I have BloodBourne from PS+ so that feels like a natural next one to try. However there is also the Demon Souls Remaster and Sekiro to try. So my question is if I wanted to try another which do you recommend.

I really got to like the combat of Elden Ring once I got used to it. I loved the ability to explore and follow my curiosity vs following a set path. In fact my least favorite parts of the game are the legacy dungeons. Not that I hated them, but I liked the ability to see something neat in the world and go check it out or approach from an angle I felt best vs going from corridor A -> corridor B.

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m also kind of curious which would be the next most accessible From game to try if you love Elden but previously stayed away or didn’t give much of a chance to their games.

This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I think Dark Souls 2 is probably a good starting point if you enjoyed Elden Ring. As I've mentioned before I took a stab at playing it before this game came out and it shares a lot of similarities with ER. If you know what to expect going in (since you've played Elden Ring) you'll see how the game kind of nudges you in the right direction but you still have to figure that direction out. But once you do, it's all pretty straightforward. You can fast travel to bonfires (which you can't do in Dark Souls 1 early on) and it's got lots of NPCs and other stuff.

I would say if difficulty turns you off then Demon's Souls is near the harder ones. Also Sekiro is hard, as skills said (I think) Sekiro is more mechanics focused, you can't really grind your way to getting good, you'll have to be skilled at the game. It's less of a souls game and more like a Tenchu game.

• Thanks 1

I've ran into a wall with Malikath. Maybe I'll have moment like I did with godskin duo where it felt like I couldn't beat them and then for whatever reason had that moment where I went in and fucked shit up after like 20 tries but I can't beat this fucker. Got close a couple times. But what a fucking bullshit fight. Close to just starting a new character but I figure I might as well get whatever bullshit fuck ending on this character since I've done like no npc quests. And I want to say I beat the game with just the Claymore before I start fucking around with 'OP" builds. Or like Dimden said, just knowing where to go to make you powerful early on, and not like when I first started the game and I didn't even find level up lady until 5 hours in. 

9 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I've ran into a wall with Malikath. Maybe I'll have moment like I did with godskin duo where it felt like I couldn't beat them and then for whatever reason had that moment where I went in and fucked shit up after like 20 tries but I can't beat this fucker. Got close a couple times. But what a fucking bullshit fight. Close to just starting a new character but I figure I might as well get whatever bullshit fuck ending on this character since I've done like no npc quests. And I want to say I beat the game with just the Claymore before I start fucking around with 'OP" builds. Or like Dimden said, just knowing where to go to make you powerful early on, and not like when I first started the game and I didn't even find level up lady until 5 hours in. 

You are soooo close, I believe in you. I did coop to beat him after a couple tries, just the enemy before him was pissing me the fuck OFF and I had also just done Malenia the same day, I just couldn’t anymore at that point lol.

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I would say if difficulty turns you off then Demon's Souls is near the harder ones. Also Sekiro is hard, as skills said (I think) Sekiro is more mechanics focused, you can't really grind your way to getting good, you'll have to be skilled at the game. It's less of a souls game and more like a Tenchu game.

Difficulty does not bother me so much as making me spend 15-30 minutes between attempts. The various SoG and Stakes of Marika in ER cut down on this dramatically. The only two points that I felt it was poorly done were the places like having to dodge the giant rolling balls to get back to Moongrum in the Academy. That got annoying and was just a waste of my time instead of having a stake and letting me face the boss continuously.

• True 1

Yeah I’m kinda curious how I’d respond to Sekiro because I think skillz said it had decent checkpoints. As long as I don’t have to replay 30 minutes to learn how to beat this one 5 second move that keeps one shoting me, then a game has a chance for my time.

28 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I think Dark Souls 2 is probably a good starting point if you enjoyed Elden Ring. As I've mentioned before I took a stab at playing it before this game came out and it shares a lot of similarities with ER. If you know what to expect going in (since you've played Elden Ring) you'll see how the game kind of nudges you in the right direction but you still have to figure that direction out. But once you do, it's all pretty straightforward. You can fast travel to bonfires (which you can't do in Dark Souls 1 early on) and it's got lots of NPCs and other stuff.

I do own Dark Souls 2 (actually I own DS3 as well) because I was going to try them on the win 2 but performance wasn’t quite to my liking, maybe I’ll give it a try when I get my deck.

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

Difficulty does not bother me so much as making me spend 15-30 minutes between attempts. The various SoG and Stakes of Marika in ER cut down on this dramatically. The only two points that I felt it was poorly done were the places like having to dodge the giant rolling balls to get back to Moongrum in the Academy. That got annoying and was just a waste of my time instead of having a stake and letting me face the boss continuously.

I think generally most bonfires in DS2 are close to a boss fight or areas of interest.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I do own Dark Souls 2 (actually I own DS3 as well) because I was going to try them on the win 2 but performance wasn’t quite to my liking, maybe I’ll give it a try when I get my deck.

They recently verified DS2 for the Deck so that sounds promising

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

You are soooo close, I believe in you. I did coop to beat him after a couple tries, just the enemy before him was pissing me the fuck OFF and I had also just done Malenia the same day, I just couldn’t anymore at that point lol.

That asshole before him took a few tries too. I'm rocking his armor now though, because fuck him. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

That asshole before him took a few tries too. I'm rocking his armor now though, because fuck him. 

I was maxed out on my strength, maxed out on sword upgrade, and piling on dex, and I couldn’t believe how much fucking damage he still took. They should have let you use torrent at least.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I was maxed out on my strength, maxed out on sword upgrade, and piling on dex, and I couldn’t believe how much fucking damage he still took. They should have let you use torrent at least.

Yeah at this point I have 60 vigor, 40 endurance, 55 strength, a +25 claymore, and I still struggled with Godskin Duo, the dude before Maliketh, and Maliketh. And I hear Malenia is a bitch too. I guess for the end game run they stopped fucking around. 

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Yeah at this point I have 60 vigor, 40 endurance, 55 strength, a +25 claymore, and I still struggled with Godskin Duo, the dude before Maliketh, and Maliketh. And I hear Malenia is a bitch too. I guess for the end game run they stopped fucking around. 

Godskin Duo is the one that didn’t bother me for some reason and got on I think my third try and it was a blowout. I was basic able to just knock out the skinny one super fast with my mimic, ignoring the other one, and then I could take them one by one after that. Malenia is the worst in the game imo, I really hate health regen mechanics on bosses.

Hit a point where I decided I’m ready to be done. I’m sure there are places I’ve missed, and I know I’ve lost the thread on several quest lines, but I’ve cleaned up the bosses I bounced off earlier (minus Melania, I’m fine skipping her).

I found a hammer that does scarlet rot damaged, and laughed when I saw it could be infused as well. So now it does bleed as well. Leveled up that bad boy to +25, and I’m sure it’s far from the “best” weapon I could be using, but against the right enemies it’s hilarious. Especially when my mimic gets one too, we just melted some of the last bosses. 

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Hit a point where I decided I’m ready to be done. I’m sure there are places I’ve missed, and I know I’ve lost the thread on several quest lines, but I’ve cleaned up the bosses I bounced off earlier (minus Melania, I’m fine skipping her).

I found a hammer that does scarlet rot damaged, and laughed when I saw it could be infused as well. So now it does bleed as well. Leveled up that bad boy to +25, and I’m sure it’s far from the “best” weapon I could be using, but against the right enemies it’s hilarious. Especially when my mimic gets one too, we just melted some of the last bosses. 

I hit that point a week ago. Not much urge to keep playing.

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

not being able to easily in-game keep up with side quest threads is one of the weakest aspects of the game. They don’t need to put a way point on my map and guide me right there, like some games do. But they could take one of those severed fingers, flip open some ratty book or turn over a map and just take a note. Shit, make my character have to right it in their own blood. I don’t care. 

Anyways, I finished Raya Academy last night. Done a bit more exploring in the surrounding area. 71 hours in at lvl 79 now with only two Great Runes. I got a whole lotta game left to go. :D 

• Like 1