Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (02/21): Shadow of the Erdtree DLC "Collector's Edition Messmer the Impaler Statue" trailer

This game never stops surprising me.  Played last night and explored a lot.  Today I was playing and in my travels I came across a chest that had white mist come out and it transported me to the right side of the map where I had never been. Collected some Smithing stone (5)'s while I was there, found the point of grace, and was able to fast travel again. Wanted to use my new stones so I went to the Roundtable. Suddenly the Roundtable room is dark and no one around except a red glowing enemy npc starts trying to kill me. Killed him and it turned out he was the npc who was standing near a room outside of the Roundtable room. Got their sweet looking armor set with the skeleton face. A quick Google search said it happened because I picked up half a medallion(which I had found last night). Random fun!

• Halal 3

That’s probably my favorite thing about Elden Ring, how organic it all feels. You’re not traveling to a marker the game put on your map where a collectible is like a premarked a point of interest. So your journey is purely one of exploration and discovery. And the world is worth exploring. 

Early into the game I switched from online to offline and the sense of exploration and discovery magnified greatly. It stopped feeling like I was just finding things already found by tons of other people already. I didn’t have blood stains to warn me of danger. It’s just been me and my spirit ashes vs the Lands Between. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Halal 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elden Ring - Information Thread, update: "Shadow of the Erdtree" expansion officially announced
  • 2 weeks later...

What's the deal with invading another person's world in this game? I did it 3 times for a quest and each time it was me vs 3 people. They all happened pretty fast so I couldn’t tell if they were all real players or ai but it was just me getting destroyed each time. Is that normal?

16 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

What's the deal with invading another person's world in this game? I did it 3 times for a quest and each time it was me vs 3 people. They all happened pretty fast so I couldn’t tell if they were all real players or ai but it was just me getting destroyed each time. Is that normal?

You can only invade someone's world if they have a co-op partner. So if you invade you will be against at least 2.

• Halal 1

43 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You can only invade someone's world if they have a co-op partner. So if you invade you will be against at least 2.

Gotcha. The one world I did the people were super coordinated. I saw the guy down the other end of a hallway and he ran left into a doorway. I ran down the hall, sprinted into the room only to realize it was a small room with no other exit. All 3 of them standing there started wailing on me and I was dead in about 3 seconds lol.

• Shocked 1

On 3/10/2023 at 12:09 PM, DarkStar189 said:

About 92 hours in and just got to Crumbling Farum Azula last night. Still loving the game. The only boss I encountered so far that I can’t beat is Malenia.  Not sure I have it in me yet.

Melania was honestly one of the easier bosses for me. Especially when you spawn help. 

The ray-tracing update is as useless as practically everyone expected it would be.

Per Lance McDonald:

Sadly, indoor shadows see basically no improvement. It mostly adds vegetation shadows in the overworld. Performance takes a severe hit on my geforce 2070super, no idea how it runs on PS5 yet. Haven't had a chance to look.

First image: ray tracing off. Second image: ray tracing on. Third image demonstrates how RTAO eliminates the glow around the cliff/rock edge in close areas (but not far ones). Basically, it's a very minimal difference.

Fr5NlbOaYAAY61s.jpg

Fr5NnB3agAAadiD.jpg

Fr5Nor0acAEi47p.jpg

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elden Ring - Information Thread, update: totally half-assed ray tracing "update" now available
31 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s weird that they took so long for such a lackluster implementation and yeah they didn’t even add fsr/dlss. But it probably still doesn’t compile shaders either so I mean whatever I guess lol

Hey not everyone has an Nvidia card. I can probably run this. Oo crap I should download Elden Ring to test out the 7900XTX.

Just now, stepee said:

Yeah but even given that they didn’t add fsr!

I was gonna reply to the guy asking avout ultrawide but this works. It's From they make masterpieces games but the game part not so much the technical aspect of programming a game. Be happy it works. 

The "git gud" answer to ultrawide is using the mod in offline mode as mentioned or using a regular monitor or eating the L. I am lucky that my black bars mean I have a 27in 1440p monitor atleast.