~*AMD Ryzen 9 - Official Thread*~

7 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I think my plan will be to get the cheap $200 6c/12t chip, a decent motherboard, and when I need to upgrade again drop in Zen 3, which I'm banking on being AM4 compatible.

I’m pretty sure that Zen 3 will still be am4. They will change when a new ram standard or something big happens. 

On 6/11/2019 at 8:04 PM, BlueAngel said:

More cores are nice, but I still don't see the point in upgrading from my 4790k @ 4.6GHz I only require 60/1080 as of now.

I do just want a 5 plus Ghz chip. Even its its only quad core.

• 2 weeks later...

Still a nice gain over the 2700x.

Looks like, for gaming, they have pretty much gained per-clock parity with Intel, which is impressive.  Intel chips will still clock higher, though, so I didn't expect an overall win for gaming.  But for the price, the 3700x looks daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn good.  Can't wait to see how the six core chips stack up, especially when overclocked.

27 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

The new boards have the x570 chipset.   I'm probably going with either an Asus or a Gigabyte board.

I think they also work with x470 boards though; probably with a firmware update.

Thanks. I’ve alternated between Asus and Gigabyte my last 5 or 6 builds, always been happy with their quality.

With an x570 board the higher end you go the faster the performance because the turbo boost communicates with the boards' power delivery to automatically clock the CPU as high as possible for as long as possible.  Basically if the CPU is running cool enough it will ask the board if it can deliver more power in order for it to further increase the clockspeed. Remains to be seen how good this is compared to manual overclocking, but it sounds more advanced than any other turbo feature. It's basically automatic safe overclocking, while I'm sure manual overclocking will squeeze out more performance but be unstable. 

3 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

With an x570 board the higher end you go the faster the performance because the turbo boost communicates with the boards' power delivery to automatically clock the CPU as high as possible for as long as possible.  Basically if the CPU is running cool enough it will ask the board if it can deliver more power in order for it to further increase the clockspeed. Remains to be seen how good this is compared to manual overclocking, but it sounds more advanced than any other turbo feature. It's basically automatic safe overclocking, while I'm sure manual overclocking will squeeze out more performance but be unstable. 

Very cool! I’ve always been too frustrated with the time and effort it took testing different setting to find stable settings.

I definitely hope reviews test that feature. They should come out tomorrow, maybe at midnight tonight. Usually though reviewers have the highest end motherboards and that's how they test all CPUs, but I would like to see them also test with more affordable and budget boards. These type of reviews usually come out a few days to a few weeks after the initial rounds have been made. 

Reviews are up. The 3900x goes back and forth with the 9900k, usually winning in the same benches the 2xxx series was already winning, but in the areas where the 9900k was dominating, the lead is definitely smaller. Overall, since I’m in no rush to upgrade the 5960x I’ll have up and running in the next week, at least not until DDR5 is available, I’ll be waiting to see Intel’s response. However, if I had a very old CPU (or if my current system died) the 3xxx series is definitely worth looking at, but if you want “top end” I still think that the 9900k is the one to go for, especially since the 3900x is more expensive than the 9900k. Regardless, AMD finally closing the gap, especially with their “below top of the line” high-end models is great, as Intel has been dominate for far too long and competition is a good thing... now they need to have a decent high-end GPU for the first time in 4 years.

Yep I think I'm going to a do 3700x for my next CPU. While gaming is the primary use for the target computer I have in mind, at the high end, the gap with intel is negligible and the CPU otherwise seems like a better package with more potential for future games.

I’m slightly disappointed they couldn’t take the crown from the 9900 in gaming, but I’m also not shocked and it gets really close. The 3700 is going to be an easy recommend for most people at that price. At the rate AMD is closing the gaming gap, they would be equivalent at zen 3. These chips seem to take the crown from Intel in most applications. However, I believe intel will strike back next year with a major Ipc uplift.