~*AMD Ryzen 9 - Official Thread*~

On 7/11/2019 at 1:39 PM, Zaku3 said:

Are they LGA2011? Might be worth an upgrade from my 6700k.  Been at 4.3Ghz for too long. I want 5Ghz+ already.

I got my 5700xt need to install it. While i was there 3 other people were picking up online orders for Ryzen.

You will get 0 benefit in gaming. You are GPU constrained in almost every game with a 5700xt. 

Asus mobo was DOA, so went back to Micro Center and they let me have the $359 Gigabyte X570 mobo for $275, so I will go back to the build probably tomorrow morning.

I am pleasantly surprised with my upgrade from an 3770k @ 4.5 GHz to a stock Ryzen 2600x.  I tested three games I felt CPU-limited in and they all had a nice boost and definitely feel a lot smoother with fewer stuttering.  Apex Legends was running around 80 fps on low settings during firefights previously, and now it stays above 100.  GTA V is now a lot smoother at high settings.  And Team Fortress 2 is now smoother with stuttering completely gone and a nice bump in framerates.  

I think I'll just hold out until Ryzen 4000 before upgrading the CPU again.  I'll be upgrading my GPU before then, because I have to massively overclock the 980 Ti to get the performance I want at 1440p.  

Really my biggest disappointment is the stock cooler.  It look like it was big enough to maintain decent temps, but under 100% CPU load it will hit the throttle temperature of 95 C, and it idles above 50 C.  That simply is not acceptable to me.

15 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I am pleasantly surprised with my upgrade from an 3770k @ 4.5 GHz to a stock Ryzen 2600x.  I tested three games I felt CPU-limited in and they all had a nice boost and definitely feel a lot smoother with fewer stuttering.  Apex Legends was running around 80 fps on low settings during firefights previously, and now it stays above 100.  GTA V is now a lot smoother at high settings.  And Team Fortress 2 is now smoother with stuttering completely gone and a nice bump in framerates.  

I think I'll just hold out until Ryzen 4000 before upgrading the CPU again.  I'll be upgrading my GPU before then, because I have to massively overclock the 980 Ti to get the performance I want at 1440p.  

Really my biggest disappointment is the stock cooler.  It look like it was big enough to maintain decent temps, but under 100% CPU load it will hit the throttle temperature of 95 C, and it idles above 50 C.  That simply is not acceptable to me.

I have a Cooler Master ML360 that I can't use (I didn't realize I'd have to take out the optical drive bay to fit a 360mm radiator in my new case, and I don't wish to front mount it as I got nice Corsair RGB fans for the front). I had it too long to return it (didn't buy from Amazon) before I realized it wouldn't work. They go for $130-150. $100 shipped if you want it and can fit it. It's supposedly the best cooler out there and outperforms all the other 360mm AIOs. I had to go for a Corsair H115i 280mm but wish I could've used the Master Liquid.

25 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I have a Cooler Master ML360 that I can't use (I didn't realize I'd have to take out the optical drive bay to fit a 360mm radiator in my new case, and I don't wish to front mount it as I got nice Corsair RGB fans for the front). I had it too long to return it (didn't buy from Amazon) before I realized it wouldn't work. They go for $130-150. $100 shipped if you want it and can fit it. It's supposedly the best cooler out there and outperforms all the other 360mm AIOs. I had to go for a Corsair H115i 280mm but wish I could've used the Master Liquid.

I'm definitely intrigued.  I am also looking at coolers that come with RGB fans (since buying new fans to replace non-RGB is an added cost), and can sync with Asus' Aura software.

Is this the one you have ? https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-ml360r-rgb/

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'm definitely intrigued.  I am also looking at coolers that come with RGB fans (since buying new fans to replace non-RGB is an added cost), and can sync with Asus' Aura software.

Is this the one you have ? https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-ml360r-rgb/

Yup, that’s the one. All 3 fans and the heatsink are full RGB 

On 7/15/2019 at 9:57 AM, Dre801 said:

That  shows how good these cpus are. I find it especially interesting that the dual chiplet 3900 beats the single chiplet 3700 in most benchmarks. That extra cache must make all the difference. Apparently crossing from chiplet to chiplet doesn't outweigh the extra cache. Bravo AMD. That bodes well for their servers and threadrippers. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/17/2019 at 3:27 AM, Link200 said:

Soooo Ryzen 9 is $750 due to the scarcity. Crazy since at that point a 9900k almost makes sense. Thinking about picking 3900x up at retail if it can be found. This could take a while.

I've seen the 9900k go for around $400. Why wouldn't you go for it? I know mobos are cheaper for Ryzen, but you also need faster and lower latency RAM for Ryzen, which negates the mobo savings.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:09 PM, Dre801 said:

The 3950x should be dropping soon.

AMD’s Ryzen 9 3950X launch delayed by two months to meet “strong demand” (PCGamesN)

After initially being pegged for a September release it’s now being delayed to coincide with the launch of the first 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors in November.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:05 PM, Spork3245 said:

I've seen the 9900k go for around $400. Why wouldn't you go for it? I know mobos are cheaper for Ryzen, but you also need faster and lower latency RAM for Ryzen, which negates the mobo savings.

DDR4 3600 to 3800 is the sweet spot for high performance memory, so that isn't too outrageous (~$100 for 16GB).  If you can snag 3800 memory, tweak the timings if you buy a cheaper kit, and overclock the Infinity Fabric a little bit, then you'll have Ryzen running at its fullest potential.

But if you were building purely a gaming PC, the 9900k is definitely a good option even when the 3900x is at retail.  Just being able to hit 5 GHz on all cores all the time is a huge advantage for Intel - and pretty much every 9900k can do that overclock.

*Note: Intel will definitely be a better option if you care about high-framerate gaming.  But if you're looking to strictly game at 4k, then any $200+ processor will be more than adequate now and for the next couple GPU generations.

7 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

DDR4 3600 to 3800 is the sweet spot for high performance memory, so that isn't too outrageous (~$100 for 16GB).  If you can snag 3800 memory, tweak the timings if you buy a cheaper kit, and overclock the Infinity Fabric a little bit, then you'll have Ryzen running at its fullest potential.

But if you were building purely a gaming PC, the 9900k is definitely a good option even when the 3900x is at retail.  Just being able to hit 5 GHz on all cores all the time is a huge advantage for Intel - and pretty much every 9900k can do that overclock.

*Note: Intel will definitely be a better option if you care about high-framerate gaming.  But if you're looking to strictly game at 4k, then any $200+ processor will be more than adequate now and for the next couple GPU generations.

You could get DDR4 2133 for a 9900k with no real difference in performance over 3800. :p 

But, I’m not going crazy checking tons of brands, just going off the Corsair RGB memory I recently purchased a few months back: CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz C16 LED Desktop Memory - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1WWBL3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GUGHDbQ65WSJA 

There’s a $50+ difference between 2666mhz vs 3600mhz. That more-or-les covers the pricing difference in regards to motherboards (Intel mobos tend to be more expensive than AMD) which is all I was talking about. :) 

I ended up heading over to microcenter and grabbing a 9900k, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, 32 gig of some G.Skill Trident Ram (3200 w/XMP) (they actually did a $70 price match:dancing:), a new NVMe drive and an AIO because the 9900k is hot as hell. Especially when I decide to OC the sucker a bit down the road.

I actually copied over my old drive to the new one for windows and now I can't tell which one I am booting to since they are both the exact same size :p Per the bios it is on the new drive but you would think windows would make it a bit more obvious.

Side note. I did a benchmark in AC Origins prior to enabling XMP and after. Increasing the ram speed to 3200 actually gave me about a 5% performance boost. Tech people on youtube have also found this to be a realistic result as well. Sweet spot seems to be 3400 for Intel. Sadly finding that speed of ram at a reasonable price is difficult. I will suffer with slightly less performance as a result.

Thanks everyone for your input!

• 1 month later...