Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

6 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

You must be patient and willing to fail.   I’m not sure playing the first two games is good advice since the rule set different enough and way less transparent about what is happening, plus it’s not turn based in the way 3 is. 

I adore the original BG games but if you don't have any experience with CRPGs from that era, the goalposts you need to kick through for enjoyment while avoiding frustration are very narrow. Particularly in comparison to something like BG3 or DOS2 where you have an absolute ton of freedom and in the original BG games there really isn't any.

the more I play, the more im getting the hang of it and the more im loving it. I had sex with an alien and recruited a dog to my camp. GOTY! 

@legend im confused by this tho

Spoiler

im pretty sure ive done just about everything in this area. I recruited all party members. fought the fake paladins. killed the knolls and got the bottle out of the chest with the monster in it. I know I have a few more spots on the map i need to checkout….

but im only like level 4.4. I still need over 2000xp to get to level 5 and everything ive read seems to suggest I shouldve easily hit 5 by now. I feel like I missed a massive quest somehow. 

• Hype 2

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Ovaltine Thistlebum -- my bearded, dark-skinned, non-binary, half-elf bard with vulva #3 -- just completed the first dungeon and recruited Withers the Lich which means I can now re-spec should I feel the need to do so!

He just showed up in my camp. My buddy was telling me how he found him. I don't even know what area he's talking about. 

39 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

He just showed up in my camp. My buddy was telling me how he found him. I don't even know what area he's talking about. 

The dungeon is located in the "Overgrown Ruins" near the starting-area beach.

There are three or four different ways to access the dungeon.  It's pretty challenging for starting dungeon as there are multiple traps and quite a few enemies.

4 hours ago, atom631 said:

the more I play, the more im getting the hang of it and the more im loving it. I had sex with an alien and recruited a dog to my camp. GOTY! 

Reveal hidden contents

but im only like level 4.4. I still need over 2000xp to get to level 5 and everything ive read seems to suggest I shouldve easily hit 5 by now. I feel like I missed a massive quest somehow. 

Have you tried killing more goblins? :p 

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Karmic dice just prevents really long streaks, don't think it has any effect other than that.

I know that's what it should do. But, while I'm sure it's just a coincidence, I have been far more lucky with it off.

12 hours ago, atom631 said:

Hide contents

im pretty sure ive done just about everything in this area. I recruited all party members. fought the fake paladins. killed the knolls and got the bottle out of the chest with the monster in it. I know I have a few more spots on the map i need to checkout….

Yhave you gotten to the underdark? There’s plenty more down there before you move on to act 2.

I reached Act 3 last night. BG is possibly the biggest city I’ve seen in a game. My girl Shadowheart is officially my girl. I slaughtered a clown in front of a crowd of onlookers, polymororph’d my way into a places I wasn’t allowed. Good times all around. My favourite thing about this game is that the choices are so abundant. I failed quests I wanted to finish in the underdark because I suddenly couldn’t backtrack about half way through act 2 though. Kinda wish I’d known that, but even that leads to new quests you wouldn’t get otherwise.

This game is so intricately crafted, it really stands out in a year of gaming that has really stood out itself. And it’s not done yet! Sea of Stars, Starfield, Spiderman, and im sure im forgetting more. Also, isnt there a suikoden remaster coming this year? 

Im kind of surprised this is a first for so many. CRPG’s are one of my favorite genres. My friends and I played so much of the original BG in the late 90’s. I only beat BG2 once I believe. Divinity 1&2 are some of my favourite games. I really need to replay the original BG sometime soon. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Speaking how our character look, I made an elven Paladin and he somehow came out looking like a blonde version of Dennis Reynolds from always sunny! 

The Nightman Cometh: An Oral History of It's Always Sunny in ...

Me fighting a drow in the under dark! 

Lol

I made s Dragonborn Paladin. He’s level 8 now. 

• Hype 1

31 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Yhave you gotten to the underdark? There’s plenty more down there before you move on to act 2.

I reached Act 3 last night. BG is possibly the biggest city I’ve seen in a game. My girl Shadowheart is officially my girl. I slaughtered a clown in front of a crowd of onlookers, polymororph’d my way into a places I wasn’t allowed. Good times all around. My favourite thing about this game is that the choices are so abundant. I failed quests I wanted to finish in the underdark because I suddenly couldn’t backtrack about half way through act 2 though. Kinda wish I’d known that, but even that leads to new quests you wouldn’t get otherwise.

This game is so intricately crafted, it really stands out in a year of gaming that has really stood out itself. And it’s not done yet! Sea of Stars, Starfield, Spiderman, and im sure im forgetting more. Also, isnt there a suikoden remaster coming this year? 

Im kind of surprised this is a first for so many. CRPG’s are one of my favorite genres. My friends and I played so much of the original BG in the late 90’s. I only beat BG2 once I believe. Divinity 1&2 are some of my favourite games. I really need to replay the original BG sometime soon. 

Spoiler

I think my next steps in the main questline are to head out to the Tower. One option was to travel via the Underdark, which I had planned to do bc Im a drow. But I have this other quest to find the Creche, but it looks like thats via the mountain pass, which i think is the other option to getting to the tower (but i think when i tried to get to the quest it told me i was underlevelled for the next area). 

i did realize i missed a whole area to the south with the bog and the hag. Im doing that now and @legend - good call, i actually left most of the goblins in the camp alone bc I was able to walk in like i owned the place. although they are very upset with me now. maybe ill go finish them all off. 

Also - rerolled my Drow Ranger. I hastily picked some things, but now that im understanding this better, i feel they were bad choices. I originally was going for like a beastmaster specialization, but i find using the animal companion a PITA and  not very useful other than to maybe pull agro. So I wound up not using them, which was wasting the class. So I gave him more of a focus on movement/stealth and ranged attacks. He hits like a truck, but i picked up the feat  "Sharpshooter" which i think gave me -5 to attack roll but +10 to damage. It seemed like it was a net +5 to damage, but i think its causing me to miss shots. does anyone know if there is a limit on the amount of times you can respec? 

2 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Hide contents

I think my next steps in the main questline are to head out to the Tower. One option was to travel via the Underdark, which I had planned to do bc Im a drow. But I have this other quest to find the Creche, but it looks like thats via the mountain pass, which i think is the other option to getting to the tower (but i think when i tried to get to the quest it told me i was underlevelled for the next area). 

i did realize i missed a whole area to the south with the bog and the hag. Im doing that now and @legend - good call, i actually left most of the goblins in the camp alone bc I was able to walk in like i owned the place. although they are very upset with me now. maybe ill go finish them all off. 

Also - rerolled my Drow Ranger. I hastily picked some things, but now that im understanding this better, i feel they were bad choices. I originally was going for like a beastmaster specialization, but i find using the animal companion a PITA and  not very useful other than to maybe pull agro. So I wound up not using them, which was wasting the class. So I gave him more of a focus on movement/stealth and ranged attacks. He hits like a truck, but i picked up the feat  "Sharpshooter" which i think gave me -5 to attack roll but +10 to damage. It seemed like it was a net +5 to damage, but i think its causing me to miss shots. does anyone know if there is a limit on the amount of times you can respec? 

Definitely do the underdark, you can still do the creche quest, it’s not one or the other.

• Halal 1

34 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Id actually prefer a real set. We don’t use technology in our games. Pen and paper only.

Real dice are fun, but when you always play with remotely with friends from around the country, it's not very practical!

I also think DnD beyond is a net win because doing the crunch manually get's rough, and having a system account for all your skills when it determines the bonuses etc streamlines the game and let's you focus on the part of the game matters. Of course I would say that because one of the very reasons I'm a computer scientist is because I feel like there is no reason to do mundane work when I can make a computer do it for me! :p 

I do, however, have aspirations to make a dice recognition system over a dice tray and integrate it with DnD Beyond so I can roll real dice and have it do the bonus calculation. That would be my ideal.

16 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, that's basically what I did. I exited the camp when they went hostile and came back later from my own vantage so I could have a better approaching to take them all down. It's a ton of experience and there are a ton of camping supplies.

16 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I don't think there is a limit, just a cost for each time.

Sharpshooter is fucking amazing as a feat, but you simply must get your bonus to attack up higher to make it worthwhile. A good ranger build can pull like +15 to the attack at which point taking sharp shooter is very wortwhile. But early levels it's not so great.