Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

I mean if could get rid of both factions, I would. Goblins, orcs, Dragonborn, and druids are all on the chopping block. I am heartbroken I can't just team up with the cool demon race and get rid of both sides.

And like, how is getting rid of the druids a bad guy thing? They're druids.

Feel like you're making my point! :p 

I’m only a few hours in, so grain of salt and all that, but so far I’m thrilled with this game. My immediate impression is much more positive than basically any other game in this genre. Maybe it’s because I’m decently familiar with 5e, so mechanically things feel pretty intuitive, and the controller support is pretty good. 

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, legend said:

Feel like you're making my point! :p 

No no no. It's not evil to want to kill Druids or goblins. If it was other people, I'd totally be the bad guy, but we are talking about monsters here. Wanting to rid the world of monsters is a noble task, one that I am very willing to do in a video game. 

I always make the most heroic of choices.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

No no no. It's not evil to want to kill Druids or goblins. If it was other people, I'd totally be the bad guy, but we are talking about monsters here. Wanting to rid the world of monsters is a noble task, one that I am very willing to do in a video game. 

I always make the most heroic of choices.

hey I’m a druid half elf ok

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

If you long rest when you are in a dungeon or cellar or something will it return you to where you were in there once rested?

Yes. Camping in a dungeon was surprising the first time I did it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2023 at 10:03 AM, legend said:

Some tips.

Hide contents

Talk your way into the place. Then, on the inside, slowly take out small groups of enemies on the fringes. As long as you don't let any run and play a war drum you can whittle them away. You can also destroy war drums in advance to prevent that.

When you get the main big bad level 5 leader in the throne, all I'll say is you can kill him in one move before combat starts...

Also, always remember that you can fast travel if you're not in combat... Just putting that out there for later :p 

thank you. I wound up looking at some tips for this area....and what I discovered leads me back to my statement that the game does lack some help to newcomers. there were so many things i learned that i can do by watching the video (like shift makes you crouch and put you in stealth mode!). i wound up getting that done. now im looking for the druid. 

also - for other newcomers - just a tip - all those items you pick up that do things - like one-off spells, etc.... this game actually makes them useful. Other games I wind up with an inventory of dozens and dozens of items that I never needed or used...well use em in this game!! they can turn an area that seems impossible to totally manageable. Also - study the environment! this is turn-based so take your time and assess whats going on in the world outside of the enemies right in front of you. 

theres so much depth and freedom in how you approach situations - as a new comer - expect to potentially spend a few hours in a mission just figuring out your tactics and what items in your inventory can help and when to use them. totally different experience than other hand-holdy  RPGs where you can get by only with your main skills and spells. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

41 minutes ago, atom631 said:

theres so much depth and freedom in how you approach situations - as a new comer - expect to potentially spend a few hours in a mission just figuring out your tactics and what items in your inventory can help and when to use them. totally different experience than other hand-holdy  RPGs where you can get by only with your main skills and spells. 

The game genuinely appears to fit very cleanly into the category of "immersive sim".

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

I'm going to end up taking a long ass time to beat this game. Still very early in after 12 hours and playing on the hardest difficulty which makes me restart some battles. This is kind of how I go through these, but I'm tempted to lower the difficulty to speed things along since it's so popular.

3 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I'm going to end up taking a long ass time to beat this game. Still very early in after 12 hours and playing on the hardest difficulty which makes me restart some battles. This is kind of how I go through these, but I'm tempted to lower the difficulty to speed things along since it's so popular.

I would probably save the harder mode for later. The normal mode isn't "easy." It will still force you to think outside the box for a lot of battles.

1 hour ago, legend said:

I would probably save the harder mode for later. The normal mode isn't "easy." It will still force you to think outside the box for a lot of battles.

I feel like I can handle it, but we will see. So far I’m enjoying myself and advancing. I beat the first two acts of WotR on Core which makes me think I can handle this, but this is a different game. If I start disliking it, I will lower it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Brian said:

Grease and Fireball has been by go to spell combo super early on. 
Why You Shouldnt Throw Water On A Grease Fire GIF by ViralHog

To be clear, do you mean grease + firebolt or grease + fireball? The latter you don't get until level 5, which is still act 1, but maybe not "early."

The answer is of course yes to both, but fireball is fucking awesome even on its own (and always has been in DnD)

• Hugs 1

BTW, tip for newbies since you might miss it: when martial classes reach level 5 they usually get "extra attack" which means if you use your action to attack, you can attack again. But you have to choose to do so, so make sure you're getting your extra attack in!

Im like level 4.5. I have 2 options:

Spoiler

but before the options - I finished helping the refugees and they all left the grove. I rescued the druid and now hes in my party, but only at camp? Im assuming there a limit to the amount of party members and I need to swap him out with someone? 

As for my options I need to either travel to the moonlight tower (i chose through the underdark since Im a drow) or Go find the creche (or whatever the green alien leader is). But I went to do that and its telling me the next area is really hard and Im underlevelled. So is there more to do in this area? I do have  1 sidequest I want to do before I head out - something about fighting the devil near Risen Road. 

17 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Im like level 4.5. I have 2 options:

Hide contents

but before the options - I finished helping the refugees and they all left the grove. I rescued the druid and now hes in my party, but only at camp? Im assuming there a limit to the amount of party members and I need to swap him out with someone? 

As for my options I need to either travel to the moonlight tower (i chose through the underdark since Im a drow) or Go find the creche (or whatever the green alien leader is). But I went to do that and its telling me the next area is really hard and Im underlevelled. So is there more to do in this area? I do have  1 sidequest I want to do before I head out - something about fighting the devil near Risen Road. 

Spoiler

You can't play with the druid, or at least I'm pretty sure you can't :p He's just a camp companion.

You absolutely positively must do the quest about the devil near Risen Road. Do not miss it!

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

@legend

I don’t want to try to claim I’m some type of badass either. :p I have to retry battles a lot to figure it out. I may well just surrender and lower it to the middle difficultly. I will post here if I do!

Haha no worries. I do get the appeal, but when you're digging the story I usually find for the first time it's better to play it normal otherwise progress will be slow.

My friend and I played through DOS2 together first our first play through. We tried it on hard and after a day or two of that we had to cede and play it on normal or we knew we would never finish given finding hours where we could both play was rough :p 

If you're playing solo it's not that bad to have the time sink, but I usually want to get a feel for the game and move through the story a big faster than I can manage on hard for the first try. There is a very good chance I'll replay this on hard though!

Hope it works out for you either way!

I kind of wish I played on easy mode at first, because I'm just flying through the game by the seat of my pants, not giving two fucks about anything.

Other than occasionally saving before an interaction specifically because I want to see what happens if I act like a total dipshit, I'm not reloading anything. It's just go-time all the time babyyyyyy.

If it's anything like actual DND I've played in my life (I've never played the original Baldur's Gate games), level 2-3 is kind of where you get your ass kicked the most. No one is really specialized yet and you're just flailing around. I just got to level 4 and had my first encounter with some hyenas and whatever the mutant is called and I MURKED those motherfuckers. I took some damage while I tried to get them all in one space (all but 1 were melee fighters), then I just unleashed AOE fire damage in one term and killed every single one.

I also kind of feel like that encounter was supposed to happen earlier since I went on a whole sidequest with the hag for no reason, which was probably supposed to happen later. Who knows. Don't give me an option to turn left when the quest is telling me to turn right if that's not what I'm supposed to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

To be clear, do you mean grease + firebolt or grease + fireball? The latter you don't get until level 5, which is still act 1, but maybe not "early."

The answer is of course yes to both, but fireball is fucking awesome even on its own (and always has been in DnD)

It looks more like a ball than bolt so I’ll say fireball. Thank you nerd :p

Question: yes it’s dumb but whatever

Spoiler

I got a full party and the person was like “I’ll wait at camp” and I’m like “what fucking camp? We just crashed landed.” And the person was like “bye Felicia” and ran the fuck away. I tried to follow but bumped into some goblins. So do I need to find this camp or is it the rest option someone talked about in the party? It was confusing when it happened but also kind of funny  

10 minutes ago, Brian said:

It looks more like a ball than bolt so I’ll say fireball. Thank you nerd :p

Question: yes it’s dumb but whatever

Hide contents

I got a full party and the person was like “I’ll wait at camp” and I’m like “what fucking camp? We just crashed landed.” And the person was like “bye Felicia” and ran the fuck away. I tried to follow but bumped into some goblins. So do I need to find this camp or is it the rest option someone talked about in the party? It was confusing when it happened but also kind of funny  

Not really a spoiler so much as it's a fundamental mechanic :p Not sure how you got as far as you did without using it! 

You can choose to "go to camp" kind of whenever and whereever. You set up camp by pressing on the camp button on the bottom right side if you're on M/KB or it's one of the action options from the controller (the short rest option is also in the same menu). When you go to camp, your whole party is there. It's where you long rest, switch out characters in the active party, where various story threads advance, etc. So it's kind of critical to the game! If you don't long rest, your magic characters won't get their spell slots back and you only get two short rests per long rest which is also kind of critical (short rest restores health and gives back some abilities for different classes). To change your characters, just walk up to someone currently in the party, tell them to stay at camp for now, and then go talk to someone else at camp and tell them to join.

• Thanks 1

I'm going to be really curious how this wild success affects what Larian does next and how WotC wants to proceed. 

I mean, a big expansion much like the previous BG seems all but guaranteed at this point, but I wonder what else they're going to do.

5 minutes ago, legend said:

and how WotC wants to proceed. 

We'll see loads more DnD video games to capitalize on BG3s success only for the games to be of poor quality and tarnish the brand. The exception will of course be Larian and the masses will say, "If it ain't a DnD game from Larian, we don't want it."

• True 1

6 hours ago, legend said:

I'm going to be really curious how this wild success affects what Larian does next and how WotC wants to proceed. 

I mean, a big expansion much like the previous BG seems all but guaranteed at this point, but I wonder what else they're going to do.

Their true passion: Planescape Torment 2

• Shocked 1